X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Clamps

I am attaching pictures of the clamps on the hose from the airbox to the throttle body. via a hose with hose clamps on either end. I have seen these on other foreign cars I had, Porsche a specially. But I have no idea how to take them off, nor does my mechanic, he said "I never saw one like that before." "Maybe it needs a special tool."

Again thanks for any info.

I changed the filter back to a stock air filter on my car and see if the gas mileage improves, I have cleaned the MAS (1) and wanted to clean the TB, ran a can of fuel line cleaner, SEAFOAM thru a full tank of gas putting the product into a almost empty tank and driving 3 miles like that to the Shell station and changed to Shell 93 octane gas, which gave me a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy, now I get 15mpg around town and 21 on the highway and a new PCV and hose.

I took the K&N out as I noticed they have changed their ad to increased HP and speed, but now leave out fuel economy?

Attached Thumbnails Clamps-clamps-tb-001.jpg   Clamps-clamps-tb-002.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, your mechanic hasn't seen these? Uh, not sure what to say to that one. I have seen them on a lot of vehicles,especially those that are newer.

As for getting them apart. What I do is take a pair of needlenose pliers and open then up some. You want to put one part of the plier between the two humps (11 o'clock position) and the other side of the plier on the single piece (12 o'clock position). Now, squeeze the plier to move the double hump piece slightly and then rotate the pliers a little to the right, lifting up slightly on the double hump piece. Now, ease up on the pliers and let the clamp come undone. You will see a small tab under the double hump that catches on the double hump piece. You don't have to squeeze down too much, but moving it about 1/8" (3mm) is about all that it takes. Putting it back together is nothing more than getting the pliers back into position, squeezing a little bit, pushing down on the double hump piece and then releasing the pliers. Nothing fancy to it.

The following users liked this post:
sidewalkman (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, your mechanic hasn't seen these? Uh, not sure what to say to that one. I have seen them on a lot of vehicles,especially those that are newer.

As for getting them apart. What I do is take a pair of needlenose pliers and open then up some. You want to put one part of the plier between the two humps (11 o'clock position) and the other side of the plier on the single piece (12 o'clock position). Now, squeeze the plier to move the double hump piece slightly and then rotate the pliers a little to the right, lifting up slightly on the double hump piece. Now, ease up on the pliers and let the clamp come undone. You will see a small tab under the double hump that catches on the double hump piece. You don't have to squeeze down too much, but moving it about 1/8" (3mm) is about all that it takes. Putting it back together is nothing more than getting the pliers back into position, squeezing a little bit, pushing down on the double hump piece and then releasing the pliers. Nothing fancy to it.
Hey Chris

Thanks for that, I've rebuilt countless engines, have owned too many europian and specifically British cars and like Adam was taken aback last week by that clamp. I was going to take it off and replace it with a normal hose clamp. I'll try your way first.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

maybe it is an american car thing. I have seen them on Dodges, Chevy's, and Fords. As we have seen, they are even on the Jags (but then, it is a Ford product during this time). Granted, the first time I saw them, I was taken back to, but I looked at how they were assembled and figured things out pretty quickly. They are actually pretty nice once you get used to them.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Smile Clamps

Thermo:

Interestingly my mechanic works for Ford during the day and he said he never saw these clamps, and they would probably have to be replaced if taken off and he wouldn't use screw on clamps as the Jaguar ones seem to have a tighter clamp and the screw on ones do come loose. I solved that problem a few years ago, By using Locktite blue screw/bolt glue so you can break the screw with a screw driver or wrench, but they won't work loose on there own.

Thanks for the information, this seems easy enough for me to do.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Smile Clamps

maybe it is an american car thing. I have seen them on Dodges, Chevy's, and Fords. As we have seen, they are even on the Jags (but then, it is a Ford product during this time). Granted, the first time I saw them, I was taken back to, but I looked at how they were assembled and figured things out pretty quickly. They are actually pretty nice once you get used to them.
I really didn't notice the difference when I first saw them, I thought they were the squeeze type and bent down, but when I took a closer look I could see the were different. I took them off last nite and check the hose fromthe cleaner box to the TB. no holes, I even spray a can of air thru it to make sure there were no holes. I spray a little cleaner in the car and my son revved the engine around 3000 rpm and Then we sprayed it again and took the car round the block, no a cleaner. When you got back we sprayed it again, and ran the engine up and then button the whole thing up. I hope my son put them on correctly, I had your instructions in front of him. As my back was shot by then. I got up early this AM to see the shuttle land and then I went out started it up and it started fine but blew some out the pipes for a second or so, and settled in nicely, if it weren't going to be 100 degrees today I would go out for a ride and see how it runs, as it ran perfect before my treatment. Anyhow, thanks again.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Adam, not a problem. The first time you mess with these clamps, they are a little bit tricky. But, once you get a feel for them, you can pop them off in a matter of seconds.

As long as the clamps remain tight, then there is nothing to worry about.