Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clank Sound Undercar Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Clank Sound Undercar Help!!

Hello everyone,

So today I drove my car after it sitting out side for about two or three days and noticed a metal clunk coming from underneath the car when I would go over bumps on the road. Scared the heck out of me I thought the wheel was going to fall off since I replaced the rotors and pads recently, not sure if that has anything to do with it? Anyway I was hoping someone could tell me where to check or how troubleshoot the problem since I will be replacing my radiator and changing the plugs tomorrow or sometime this weekend. What could it be? Is the car safe to drive? Ive read it could be a number of things, bushings, struts, etc. just need to know how to narrow it down and if possible fix it my self. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Had this same problem after I did a brake job on my xtype. My whole back right caliper was loose and was clanking over bumps. For me, the clank went away when I pulled the e-brake because there was tension on the bolt. Try that test and if it's still clunking, it may be your sway bar bushings

Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Eman, odds are, you are looking at either a shock mount that has become loose (upper mount is most likely on our cars) or the rear sway bar mounts to the frame are known for breaking and causing the clunk. Granted, any of the bushings on the rear of the car can cause this too. A quick check that I would do is to take a big sweeping curve at say about 25 mph and then give the car some gas like you would want to take off. if you feel the rear end of the car want to step out on you, then your rear lower control arms have bad bushings in them and that is the clunk you are hearing. If the rear feels solid, then I would be looking at either the shocks or the sway bar mounts.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixed

Thanks for the reply guys. So I drove it again tried what you recommended Thremo and everything felt good, only hear a sound over bumps and narrowed it down to the back passenger side. So got the wheel off and started checking and everything looked intact till I checked out the caliper. You were right disguay the caliper was loose, one of the bracket bolts had fallen out Im a horrible mechanic...I guess you live and you learn Got a new bolt at the auto store, hopefully I tightened enough this time anyways thanks again!!