X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completly Lost

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completly Lost

Hey Everyone, Well i'm Completly lost on what that humming is. It appears to be coming from the rear driverside of my car. Taking it to "mechanics" has been a waist of time and money. It's hard to find a real "Mechanic" anymore and not just "Part changers". Anyhow, I've determined that the humming only appears when I'm at a velocity of 35 - 55.... at 34 i'm good and somewhere between 55 and 60 i'm good again. I had the wheel bearings checked and they were good. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

Are you sure its the rear?
If so wheel bearing could be suspect and or tyres "sawtooth effect" depending on how worn they are.

The main complaints of whining on this car though are the driveshaft whine

Check the link below and look for the TC propshaft and do some reading

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Good luck

Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Jagm, get under the car and grease the carrier bearing for the rear drive shaft (the bearing that is located in the middle of the rear driveshaft, under the front seats). If the noise goes away, then your carrier bearing is starting to go and you will adventually need a new one. If the noise does not change, it may be that you have either a CV Joint (normally this noise is continual) or a U-joint that is going. Any mechanic should be able to check those items for you.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree with everything that JimC64 and Thermo have said. But I also suggest that you do a little more diagnosis. Is the noise speed-sensitive, has is gotten worse or has it stayed the same over time, can you better pin point it's source?

Why don't you take a friend for a drive and have them sit in the back seat. Then when the noise is loudest have them try to clearly identify where it seems be coming from (e.g., from under the center console, middle of backseat, left or right floor, from behind the back seat, trunk). Or, since you know the sounds of your car better than a friend could, have the friend drive and then you crawl around in the back listening for the location of the sound.

We'll be expecting a report... ;-)
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys, Thanks for all your help. I had a friend (who is also a mechanic) look at it and it seems like he thinks that it is a wheel bearing starting to go bad.

But that it is a while away from imediate attention. I did check everything you guys sugested as well. It is kind of hard to determin where the sound was coming from from inside the car.

I know that the sound increases depending of the actual speed of the car, and not by how much I press on the accelorator. In the end I did a lot of reading and determined a few "problematic" points that occur on this type of car.

I cut a garden hose and using zip ties I tied one end to a problematic point and the other end I had next to me as I drive. When I reached the speed where I could hear the sound, I would listen for it through the hose.

I did this for each of the driveshaft bearings, the transmission, and the transfer case.... nothing. I could hear everything down there. But the problem was none of this. I did determin that the sound is not coming from the rear of the car however.

I don't really know how to apply my method to check the sound of the two front wheels being that the tires turn. However I feel confident taht it is a wheel bearing.

Any comments or further advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for your help. This has been my biggest issue and you guys have always come through.

I love this site!

Last edited by JimC64; 09-10-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: create line breaks!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I love your mobile stethoscope idea - just don't get it tangled round anything rotating !
You should be able to tie it to the front wishbones.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Ya, great idea with the stethoscope, can't really picture how you used it though...

WRT the wheel bearing, if it is one, trust me you have NOTHING to fear since it will only get worse...

No really, they are very robust and take a long time to reach real failure. And they will make increasing amounts of noise. Trust me on this one, the noise will drive you CRAZY long before the bearing is actually going to fail.

My advise is to sit back and continue to drive the car listening for changes in volume/pitch of the noise. Try to determine if it's something other than a wheel bearing since, as I said above, you will KNOW about that one long before you end up in real trouble.

Good luck and please keep reporting what you learn.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Jagm, if it is a wheel bearing, get going down the road where you can hear the noise and then start making decent "turns" from one edge of your lane to the other. Let the body roll a little bit but keep things under control. What you should experience is that when you turn one way, the noise will be constant. If you turn the other way, the noise will go away. The direction that you turn and the noise goes away is your problem side.