X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant reservoir replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant reservoir replacement

Over the thanksgiving weekend I was experiencing coolant leaks coming from the top left hose of the tank. So I pop my hood this morning and realize it's really loose to the touch. So I turn on the car and go to the front only to notice the hose came off and coolant spitting everywhere from the "nipple". I quickly turn off my car n go see what the hell just happened. I notice the top left "nipple" broke inside the hose clean and the hose has nothing to clamp down on. Lucky me, I had to leave my car at work, thank god I do valet and I left it in our lot. So tomorrow I have to go get the whole damn tank from the dealership and get ripped a new hole.

My question is how do I replace it? Do I have to drain everything first? How do I remove the bottom hose without grtting all the coolant inside the tank everywhere? I noticed one screw on the bottom of the tank and I notices you have to Twist the top to free it... Is that all? I saw a s-type write up n they had to remove windshield wipers and the plastic cover under it and all that...

Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

It's a quick and easy do.

Nothing at all will come out of the top hose - you've lost all that will already - if you keep it higher than the engine top, and the bottom one can be held back with your thumb.

Just lift the tank higher than the engine top (much as you can) and keep the tank at a tilt when you pull the bottom hose off. Have the new tank handy, slip the bottom hose on it and you are almost done without spilling a drop I bet!

Piece 'o Cake!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM

So I called the dealership this morning, they want $189 for it! Online its $99!!!!!!! The thing is none of these online stores will overnight the part! They want me to wait 4-7 business days! I need my car because of my job! I have to get around lol So I'm guessing im going to have to get ripped.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Nevermind, found a website that does overnight shipping.

So I need to replace my brake reservoir cap as well and the coolant reservoir.

Jag quoted me $30 for the cap and $189 for the coolant reservoir. Total of $219

I was able to find those two parts online, $16 for the cap and $99 for the reservoir. Along with overnight shipping $30, A grand total of $146 compared to jags $219.

Saving me $73!! Man the dealership sure knows how to rip you a new hole.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So let us all know for future reference: Where did you end up buying the parts online with overnight shipping?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM

partstrain.com

Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Since the plastic nipple is the normal point to break, you could have saved more by clamping that hose off and waiting 4-7 days

Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM

So I replaced the reservoir tank and I drove it home... No leaks from the hoses from the top.....

I pull my car out to get to my freezer and I notice a huge puddle of coolant on the ground! WTF!!!

From what it looks like it is leaking from the bottom now... Cracked hose somewhere?

Also, What kind of coolant should I get for my car? Jaguar is trying to tell me that I can ONLY put their coolant in my car, something about a HOAT coolant... Not sure...

The coolant that I have.... Well what's left of it... is pink...

I'm about to take my car right now to my mechanic and see what he says! But I'm worried about driving my car with almost zero coolant! I wanted to stop at autozone and fill it up really quick but I'm confused on which kind of coolant to get...

Hopefully I get a fast response...

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Use that orangey/pink coolant from prestone. I had the same thing happen to my X and I bought a container of it and never had an issue.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM

So I'm back from the shop and I have the worst of luck...

Seems like my water pump is leaking. They removed the battery in order to get to the pump and it drips straight from the pump, he actually showed me and I witnessed the drip coming from the pump. Bad news is that they want over $450 to install a new pump with the labor...

So I told them to not do anything and I will keep putting coolant in it whenever it gets low, I just have to keep my eye on it daily, that way I don't get ripped.

So I called AutoZone and they have a water pump there for $57.99 (Duralast part # AWP-9035) versus the $150+ part fee Tire Kingdom was trying to charge me.

I got to talking with my mechanic and he agreed to meet me at my house and do it for super cheap under the table. He has been working on my car for the past year or so, so I trust his expertise (at least I hope, knowing my luck with this car I'll get crapped on somehow lol)

We haven't talked on an amount yet, but I'm sure it'll be 50 times cheaper than the shop wanted to charge me!

I'm going to just fix whatever is wrong with the car and do all the flushes and a 1,000 point inspection and get rid of it. It's been good to me for the past 2 years but all of a sudden its starting to go on me and I rather get rid of it before it gets super costly.

EDIT:

So I went to Jagbits.com to get the OEM part number which is "C2S43292" and they have it listed for $115.98. Did a bit research and came across this website that has the same OEM part number for $72.11 which is made by "AC Delco" http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidIzM2654 Maybe I'm mistaking but is that the same EXACT water pump offered at Jagbits? Or is Jagbits parts official Jaguar parts? Should I just go wit the duralast one from AutoZone for $57?

EDIT #2:

Sorry for the rambling but I came across an ebay page with a different part number that claims to be Jaguar part... The Part number is "C2S 018139" Can anyone verify this for me? If I call the dealer I know their going to give me the run around and try to get me to come in.

Last edited by JagXType620; 11-30-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM

personally, I think youre over reacting. Imeen both of those problems are what I would say are normal. not so much the water pump, but they do leak occasionally. and for removing the battery and 1 belt and about 6or7 bolts your should just do it yourself. If you can change oil, you can change the pump

Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620
So I'm back from the shop and I have the worst of luck...

Seems like my water pump is leaking. They removed the battery in order to get to the pump and it drips straight from the pump, he actually showed me and I witnessed the drip coming from the pump. Bad news is that they want over $450 to install a new pump with the labor...

So I told them to not do anything and I will keep putting coolant in it whenever it gets low, I just have to keep my eye on it daily, that way I don't get ripped.

So I called AutoZone and they have a water pump there for $57.99 (Duralast part # AWP-9035) versus the $150+ part fee Tire Kingdom was trying to charge me.

I got to talking with my mechanic and he agreed to meet me at my house and do it for super cheap under the table. He has been working on my car for the past year or so, so I trust his expertise (at least I hope, knowing my luck with this car I'll get crapped on somehow lol)

We haven't talked on an amount yet, but I'm sure it'll be 50 times cheaper than the shop wanted to charge me!

I'm going to just fix whatever is wrong with the car and do all the flushes and a 1,000 point inspection and get rid of it. It's been good to me for the past 2 years but all of a sudden its starting to go on me and I rather get rid of it before it gets super costly.

EDIT:

So I went to Jagbits.com to get the OEM part number which is "C2S43292" and they have it listed for $115.98. Did a bit research and came across this website that has the same OEM part number for $72.11 which is made by "AC Delco" http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidIzM2654 Maybe I'm mistaking but is that the same EXACT water pump offered at Jagbits? Or is Jagbits parts official Jaguar parts? Should I just go wit the duralast one from AutoZone for $57?

EDIT #2:

Sorry for the rambling but I came across an ebay page with a different part number that claims to be Jaguar part... The Part number is "C2S 018139" Can anyone verify this for me? If I call the dealer I know their going to give me the run around and try to get me to come in.

Wholly over-reacting Batman!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Brutal... If i would try to do it myself would I have to do something after I put back the belt? Like retime it or something? Also... If I remove the water pump do I have to put something under it to drain it? Or how foes that work... I like to learn n do stuff myself but I'm mechanically inexperienced.... Don't want to cause more problems than I have...

Last edited by JagXType620; 12-02-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM

If you have a large container to put under the car you can catch and reuse most of the coolant. First remove the battery and battery box. Then use a 15mm box end wrench to loosen the water pump belt tensioner and remove the belt. Then take out the 3 8mm bolts from the cam pulley(its the very large puller between the water pump and the tensioner. Then unbolt the water pump. There are long and short 8mm bolts (like 3 long?) dont worry if you cant put them in the wrong hole the long will stick out way too much and the short bottom out into nothing if in the wrong holes. Make sure you get a new water pump gasket with the pump. Some come with and some without. You dont need sealant. Reverse entire proceedure to install. Refill the system with the coolant you collected and top off as need. I would run the engine for a minute after filling, then top up in case you have/had air pockets. Then your done. Go reset your 1 touch windows and clock now and realize you just saved about $400. ( i like gift cards for christmas )

Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry for the tongue in cheek response, but like Brutal says it's one of the easier maintenance repairs. The only thing I'll add is pay particualrly close attention to getting all the old gasket material off. It WILL leak if you don't. Water pump and belt replacement has no effect on timing, that is the timing belt (connects the crank to the cams) so you won't have any issues there. Sometimes the water pump is a bit of a brute to take off, since yours is leaking it might be easy but a small rubber mallet and a couple of smacks and it pops loose.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion sidewalkman... I'm going to have my guy install the new water pump and gasket and see what happens after that and keep everyone posted.

I don't know if this is related to my failing water pump, but I got a CEL this afternoon after warming up my car leaving work.

I took it to autozone and got a P0456 back.... After some searching I came across H20boy's (Does itmatter his jag was an xk8?) post back in '08 linked here

So I'm doing the gas cap thing first and hoping it doesn't through a CEL again which could mean a CVV replacement according to the H20boy's post.

Last edited by JagXType620; 12-01-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 PM

if its a factory water pump(Im sure), the gasket is a steel shim gasket and really nothing to clean. The P0456 yes a good start on that car is a gas cap. But not the CCV(cannister close valve)

Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Been about 3 days now since I got my water pump replaced and no more leaking I went with the autozone water pump which was branded Duralast and it cost me $150 for installation and a flush. Also, my CEL hasn't came back either since that one day... Let's hope it was just the gas cap