X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Language

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Language

I know this probably sounds silly, but when I got my 02 xtype from my grandparents, the dash would say "boot open" or "bonnet open" when they were left open. Now, my stupid brother was pushing buttons or something, trying to be a cool teenage, and he changed it to say "trunk" and "hood". This upsets me, and I can't figure out how to change it back, I found nothing in the manuals in the glove box. It's not a major problem, but I certainly think "boot" and "bonnet" sounds cuter

Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

From the manual;

Display language
To change the display language, switch the ignition ON while pressing the ‘ML/km’ switch. The trip computer will display the current language.
Press the ‘ML/km’ switch repeatedly to cycle through the available languages. Once the correct language is selected, press the ‘A/B’ switch.
The new language will be selected after a delay of three seconds.
Note:
If you wish to exit the language selection function without changing the display language, you can either press the ‘RESET’ switch, wait for 10 seconds or switch the ignition OFF.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have NAV, go to set-up..than language. Thenchoose the British-English.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 AM

That doesn't change the language in the message center, only the language in the touchscreen. They are two separate systems.

I know, when I bought mine the dash was in German, changing the touchscreen settings doesn't change the message center language.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
From the manual;
Thank you! I am going to go try this now. you just made my day!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

If it's not too late, please check the 'average mpg' numbers before and after swapping from US back to UK English. I've occasionally wondered if in addition to using 'boot' instead of 'trunk' etc., it switches the car from US gallons to Imperial gallons for the calculations.

If the display indicates that you're now getting much better mileage, you'll know why!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
If it's not too late, please check the 'average mpg' numbers before and after swapping from US back to UK English. I've occasionally wondered if in addition to using 'boot' instead of 'trunk' etc., it switches the car from US gallons to Imperial gallons for the calculations.

If the display indicates that you're now getting much better mileage, you'll know why!
That is really interesting. I checked the mpg, and it had decreased (town driving vs just having taken a high way trip) but not a great deal. Now that you have mentioned it, I am interested in resetting it to see if my avg mileage changes at all. I will definately report back in a week or so

Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 02x-typemom
That is really interesting. I checked the mpg, and it had decreased (town driving vs just having taken a high way trip) but not a great deal. Now that you have mentioned it, I am interested in resetting it to see if my avg mileage changes at all. I will definately report back in a week or so
Just changing the menu option did not affect the "avg mpg" figure. I set mine to English US, English UK, German, and Italian and the actual numbers reported in the message center did not change at all. The text headings for all of the menu items did change so I know each time it did actually save.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Default LCD language

My problem is similar, my Nav LCD is in Japanese and i cant figure out how to change it to English since it was an import. How can i set it to English?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Welcome to the forum! You should stop by the New Member Area and introduce yourself.

Japanese import? You're in NZ then?

Offical source for AUS/NZ Nav Discs Jaguar Australia Map Update - In-car GPS Navigation Upgrade for Australia and New Zealand - powered by Whereis® maps

Originally Posted by Marmion
I would like to add the instructions to make Navigation work in New Zealand with the disc from Whereismaps as it will save Kiwis a lot of trouble (hopefully they find this!). You only need the Whereis Jaguar DVD - you don't need to source a Europe/UK version to update the software/firmware of the Navigation / SatNav unit.

These are the instructions for the S-Type (2002 onwards), X-Type and XJ (2003 to 2009).

Make sure the car is in a well ventilated place (do this outside as you need to have the engine running to minimise the risk of the battery going flat!)

1. Turn the ignition on
2. Insert the Nav disc into the Navigation unit in the boot - if the Japanese one is in there you can get rid of it.
3. Turn the engine on (this is so your battery doesn't die mid-way through the software re-flash and brick your Navigation unit)
4. Press and hold the Menu button next to the touch screen display.
5. While holding the Menu button, press and hold the Phone button. Keep holding both buttons until a screen displays with a number pad requesting a 3 digit code.
6. Enter in the code "917" and press OK/Enter on the touchscreen.
7. Press the S/W Update button on the touchscreen in the lower right corner
8. Accept the next dialogs making sure you want to update the software (there are two dialogs)
9. Wait for the software to update. This can take 5 - 10 minutes, but just let it run until it is updated (took about 5 minutes in the XJ today)
10. The screen should re-start and go to the normal screen. Voila! Your Navigation unit is updated and you can use the NZ maps.

You do need to have the latest NZ disc from Whereis which will have the latest software.

Problem is is that the system won't update itself when you put in a new Nav disc and you do need to force it to update using the above method. But as always, you do so at your own risk.

Hopefully this saves a lot of trouble for New Zealanders searching for how to get their Japanese imported Jaguar's touchscreen / Navigation unit to work!

The following users liked this post:
Skinny (12-20-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Default Dash Language

Hello , actually i left Aussie and imported it to Zimbabwe. I'm pessimistic about the availability of the maps to this part of the world. So there is no way to just change the language on the display regardless of having an updated map or not?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM

There are two options for you mate...

Find someone with IDS/SDD diagnostic system i.e. Jaguar or Land Rover dealer/workshop. They can change the region on the system. Or...

Or get a newish Western Europe nav disc & do the same thing by manually forcing the update. But you won't have local maps...

I know there are map discs available for South Africa, not sure if they include Zimbabwe...

Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Default Dash Language

Thanx a lot. Im on a trip but as soon as i'm back home i will visit JLR and ask for help. Thought it was a DIY thing but better to get help. Cheers

Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you so much Cambo351!
I was speaking to a mechanic when ordering my nav DVD, and he told me about the software update. He didn't tell me how to do it though... Finally figured it out, thanks to your post. Only bummer was i lost all settings and locations on the navigation. Annoying since I actually put down a good amount of time entering them.
So glad I decided to store the phone contacts on the SIM only, which didn't get wiped during the update.
The update took just over 2 minutes on my X-TYPE.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:27 AM
Default Dash Language

I have a Jag X-Type 2003, does anyone know how to change the dash language on that? TIA

Old 03-19-2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by zimpiper
I have a Jag X-Type 2003, does anyone know how to change the dash language on that? TIA
Welcome to the forum.

The procedure to change the dash language was mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Have a read through it again...

Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 AM
Default Mr

The forum is too helpful.