X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

I know it has been cold overnight and in the mornings here in Maryland but I did not expect a dead battery on a car I bought less than a month ago. It was fine yesterday with no indication of any problem at all. I guess that's what I get for letting the original battery stay in the car. I figured it would be ok since it only had 27,000 miles on it. Good thing I still have a warranty. I would replace it myself but its the principle of the thing...back to the dealer it goes. Anything else I should be looking for, long term side effects?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JK'sBaltimoreX
I know it has been cold overnight and in the mornings here in Maryland but I did not expect a dead battery on a car I bought less than a month ago. It was fine yesterday with no indication of any problem at all. I guess that's what I get for letting the original battery stay in the car. I figured it would be ok since it only had 27,000 miles on it. Good thing I still have a warranty. I would replace it myself but its the principle of the thing...back to the dealer it goes. Anything else I should be looking for, long term side effects?
I once bought an older (6 years) with extremely low milage car. Couldn't believe my good luck, car looked perfect, really clean.

But after a month weird things started happening, oil leaks, broken belts, dead battery. I then realized like everything else if you dont use it it will atrophy. Hardened seals, dead cells, cracked rubber. The windshield leaked like a sieve. N ever again. I will take a gently used vehicle over a low milage model every day of the week.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JK, when a battery decides it wants to go, it is going to go. It doesn't matter if it is 1 month old or 10 years old. The battery in my car died pretty much the same way. I started up the car (started just fine), drove to the auto parts store, went to get back into the car to leave and the car wouldn't start. Go figure.

I've been able to make batteries last as long as 10 years, but that takes some detailed preventive maintenance on the battery to help ensure its long life. This is normally more work than most are willing to do.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The X went back to the dealer for a fresh battery on their dime. Everything is sorted out and it is running perfectly now. I had them check for anything else but it was just the battery. I didn't think it was anything major but it was still frustrating to have to deal with so soon after the initial purchase. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JK, sometimes that is just how the cookie crumbles. As long as the dealership is taking care of you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you ever need any assistance, let me know. I am south of you by a little bit (south of Arlington, VA by an hour). But then, I also make my way up to Baltimore periodically too. So, don't be afraid to give a hollar if you are stumped with a problem.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Batteries tend to react more to time and conditions, rather than miles. Low mile cars often have an issue with killing batteries. Certain models are worse than others.

For example, Porsches are very hard on batteries. In my experience, Lexus is the other way around.

Glad this worked out for you.