X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Defroster Vent Replacement

Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Default DIY - Defroster Vent Replacement

I've read that the defroster (demister) vents are a common failure item, probably from repeated heat cycles and sun exposure. Sure enough, I looked at mine and both were broken. This is a very simple quick fix.

I have the Warm Charcoal interior, hence the LEG suffix. Parts I needed:

1 C2S43948LEG Grille
1 C2S43949LEG Grille
2 C2S44682LEG Plug-Blanking (order these as the old ones will probably break when removed)

Steps:

1. Use trim tool or thin screwdriver to pop out the old blanking plugs. Remove old grill and clean out vent recess. I treated my dash to a coat of vinyl protectant.

2. Insert new grill (there's a tab on inboard end) and lock down with new blanking plug.

3. Clean paw prints off inside of windshield and you're done. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails DIY - Defroster Vent Replacement-vents.jpg   DIY - Defroster Vent Replacement-vents1.jpg   DIY - Defroster Vent Replacement-vents2.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Great job. I'm looking forward to doing mine as soon as my parts arrive from east side of the big pond!

Old 11-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RobinGa
Great job. I'm looking forward to doing mine as soon as my parts arrive from east side of the big pond!
I need to replace mine as well, so thank you!

I noticed what looks like a small speaker hole in the grills - is that what these are for, tweeters? If so that's great. Save me some time!!

Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM

The small hole on the outboard end of the grille is for the securing fastener (Jaguar calls it a blanking plug). As I mentioned the old ones will probably break when removed.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Swingwing....I am having a problem understanding something. My passenger vent pops out of place every once in a while, so I just go push the blanking plug back down in place and it holds for a while. My car has never really been in any drastic climate conditions (garaged it's whole life and only 17k on the clock) so I can't see it as the vent losing it's shape from heat or cold? From what I see of the new blanking clips I see online it has two prongs on the bottom that should snap into place therefore holding the vent down in place so if that is the case then how the heck can it pop out unless just those prongs have worn out or lose shape somehow?

I see people complaining about this all over the place and I am trying to understand the mechanics of it as to me, it seems like the plug should hold the whole thing down nicely...so what am I missing here? Another thing I wonder is why they are even made like this...is there a reason those vents would ever need to be removed because I can't think of any besides maybe blowing compressed air in to clear something out (or vacuum if possible) or if something fell into them? LOLOLOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 02-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,304 Posts

No one who has responded seems to know that the vents on the early cars often had the issue of coming loose and rattling; I say "early" cars because Jaguar redesigned the fixing plug to prevent the vent coming loose. Instead of a DIY fix, why not just get the upgraded plug? This upgrade was done to my 2002 car about 10 years ago and there has not been a rattle since! Another upgraded part is the spring-loaded buffer on each of the trunk/boot lid hinges. On the early cars this part tended to crack, rendering it useless. Again, Jaguar redesigned the buffer - also replaced on my car 10 years ago and still perfect.
In other words, if you have a part failure on a 2001/02 or 2003 car, check whether Jaguar upgraded the part in question (a major item that was upgraded was a valve in the JATCO506E automatic transmission that tended to crack; the cars up to early 2004 may experience or have experienced this failure; the later transmissions do not).

Old 02-11-2017, 05:15 PM

Daddy, as I recall there's two fingers on each blanking plug that are supposed to snap into place, securing the vent grill. Have you looked at your plugs? One or both of the fingers may have broken off. Also your vent grills may be warped, preventing them from staying put. Miles really don't mean much - it's age of the plastic methinks. I replaced both grills and blanking plugs and all's well. As I recall your interior color is same as my car - Warm Charcoal, suffix LEG.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you order yours from Jagbits? If so how do you get the forum discount (not that it needs one for this part, but what the heck!!!) And is this the newer redesigned one that sov211 speaks of? Thanks!

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 PM

I bought my parts from local Jaguar dealer after checking prices elsewhere. Prices at dealership might have been slightly more but got my order filled in couple of days with no shipping cost so I thought it a wash. I bought a new hood liner on same order, and that was definitely better choice. Very bulky part like that would cost more to ship and could very easily be damaged in transit. Mine arrived quickly and in excellent condition.

The following users liked this post:
daddylogan (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Sponsor
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Jagbits discount code

The discount coupon code for forum members is JAGFORUMS-10% you will get a 10% discount on your order plus FREE shipping on any order over $100 to the 48 states.

Originally Posted by daddylogan
Did you order yours from Jagbits? If so how do you get the forum discount (not that it needs one for this part, but what the heck!!!) And is this the newer redesigned one that sov211 speaks of? Thanks!

peace out,
daddylogan