X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An easy way to change oil pan gasket

Old 07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default An easy way to change oil pan gasket

This is a method from a member of jaguarforum.co.uk. I PM him and he replied by email. In short, the trick is to use a torch to blow the hard-to-reach bolt. Check the detail below. Hope his method can help those scared of 1000+ job by dealer. I am looking for repair shop which can do the job. I am in Center Pennsylvania, if you know some good places around to go please let me know.

"I removed all the bolts of the pan with a socket and spanner,
I loosened the difficult to get at bolt with an open-end and ring spanner, just loosen it by two turns at this stage.
I then used an acetylene/ oxy torch and blew the head of the bolt , this is only recommended by someone that knows how to use an acetylene / torch, it has to be a neat cut without damage to the aluminum pan.
You then have room to wriggle the pan out.
Make sure the remains of the burnt bolt is cold before removing with a small pair of vice grips.

Clean pan, use a new gasket and sealer and replace pan with all bolts. I think some were of different lengths so make sure they go back in the right place. Use a torque wrench if you can.

Purchase a new H/T bolt for the damaged one but make sure it is a bit shorter than the original one so it slips in but still has plenty of thread into the block. Use open-end and ring spanner to tighten but you will only get half a turn each time because of the restricted space.

I did mine this way and no more leak problems."

Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Assume this was on the 2.5 engine. I drilled a hole through the bolt housing portion of the transaxle. Just make sure you check and double check the proper location before you drill. Dropped the bolt out without a problem. The pan was a little difficult to pull out. Before re-assembling I cut the extra part of the oil pan that makes a "C" and then ground the transaxle "bolt housing" to make more room to put back the oil pan.

No more oil leak, FINALLY! Still a lot of work, but better then paying the dealer $1,800.