Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM flash needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM flash needed?

2002 X-Type (added by GGG)

Hi, I recently replaced my ECM, GECM and IC after being unable to program new transponders due to an SCP bus fault.

The replacement ECM was taken from an automatic, whereas mine is has manual transmission. The only issue I have is that the ECM detects the missing TCM, for obvious reasons, so there is a permanent red light on to indicate this.

I have JLR SDD/IDS V130, but I see no option to change the transmission type back to manual. I've been reading the following thread and it looks as though I may even need to reflash the ECM.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...ck-ecm-120658/

If someone could offer any advice I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by GGG; 06-12-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add Model & Year details
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Dave,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Have also added Model and Year details from your profile the less psychically adept members.

Members here with the same model will be able to advise.

Graham

Old 06-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

that is a dealer issue. I have had the same issue with one of my cars as well. dealer told me I have to buy a new ecm from them...1800...Um ya don't think so.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

There are no guarantees, but you could possibly get away with a hard reset. To perform this you would need to disconnect the positive battery cable, and jumper it to a ground. I usually just jumper it to the negative battery cable. I let it sit like that for a few hours, for the electronics in the modules to drain down to a neutral state. This will normally take care of the memories in all the modules. It worked for me with my body control module. The car would of course would have to relearn how you drive, and you would have to reset all your memories. For some reason the radio presets don't go away, at least on my car.....Let me know if this helps. The ECM may have been made to look for a transmission module, so this may not work. All our cars in the states are automatics, so we are only dealing with one kind of module.......Good luck....Mike

Old 06-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

If everything else is working, there is one more thing you can do. I had to do it to my Jeep, when I was forced to put a used control unit in, because I couldn't get out of 2nd gear. A new one wasn't as expensive as a Jag control unit, but it was approaching the wholesale price of the Jeep. The Jeep the control unit came out of a jeep with a coded key, which was kind of a rare option. My dash always showed a yellow key symbol on the instrument cluster, otherwise the Jeep drove great. The Jeep dealer said he probably couldn't remedy the problem, without putting in a new control unit. Now don't judge me, but I removed the instrument cluster, or binnacle, and simply scraped the lighting powder off of the diode. If you are happy with the way your car runs, and watch the gauges, like I do, you could always do the same thing, or remove the bulb, if that is what the cluster has.....Take care.....Mike

Old 06-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Dave,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Have also added Model and Year details from your profile the less psychically adept members.

Members here with the same model will be able to advise.

Graham
Thank you. I'm not sure as to why my signature isn't showing. The following information is in there!

2002 X-Type 2.1 manual Petrol/LPG conversion

Regards,
Dave

Edit: I see it's there now!

Thank you all for your advice. The car is running fine, so I may well remove the TCM fault indicator!

Last edited by davemac; 06-14-2015 at 04:40 PM.