X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical?

Hi all I am new to the forum and need someone's help plz, I have had my 51 plate Jag X Type 2.5 V6 since Sept last year and up to the last week its been fine. Now I have the abs light on the dash and the management light, I popped along to my local garage and they put it on a diognostic computer and it came up with the sensor for over heating so this was replaced. The lights have returned and the criuse control does not work. Today coming home the speedo stopped working, any ideas plz? Does anyone know the prices for a good electrical diagnosis?

Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Cleggy, first off, welcome to the forums, I think you will find a lot of knowledgeable people around here that will be more than willing to assist you. But, with that being said, we ask that you "introduce" yourself in the new member forum. Call it our Forum Edicate. You will also find that it will be of benefit to you too.

Now, as for your problem. What you are describing really can only be caused by 3 possibilities. The more likely, you are having an issue with the ABS module, which is removing the speed signal to the ECU/TCM, which is affecting how the computers control the other components of your car. But, it could also be a problem with the instrument cluster (highly unlikely, but a possibility), or you have 2 wheel speed sensors that have failed pretty much one after the other (or the wiring for both has been compromised). Unfortunately, this is something that a professional Jag mechanic will need to look at as you will need to pull the chassis codes (CXXXX where XXXX is a 4 digit number). These codes will give a fairly detailed explanation of what the car sees as wrong. Unfortunately, these can not be obtained by taking the car to your local auto parts store and having them read the codes (than can only read the P codes, ie, powertrain codes).

As for cost of getting it analyzed, plan on $100 to have it diagnosed, then another $100/hr to repair the fault plus the price of repair parts. Parts could be cheap, but they can also be expensive.

The following users liked this post:
cleggy (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My Auto X-Ray scanner will read "C" codes. That is how I found out I had a bad rear wheel speed sensor ring.

The following users liked this post:
cleggy (04-16-2011)