X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine makes like a flapping sound when I slightly press gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Engine makes like a flapping sound when I slightly press gas

Something that is vaguely bothering me, is when I press the gas pedal slightly, around maybe 1500 rpms, just for a couple seconds, the engine makes a flapping rattling noise. It doesn't sound like anything bad, but I'm wondering what is causing that little flapping rattle noise when I press the gas slightly. It's more embarrassing than anything. It sort of sounds like a baseball card in my spokes, it's not loud, but I notice it at low speeds. Not sure, maybe it's related to seafoaming it? I've been only using premium gas lately and everything else is all tuned up. Probably due for an oil change in a little while but that's about it. I was thinking maybe it's the throttle body, but to be honest I have no idea where the sound is coming from besides the engine area. Maybe a piece metal vibrating against the engine or something, who knows. Anyone else ever had this sound?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

PS it doesn't just make the noise at 1500 rpms. What I realized right now is it makes the noise at whatever rpm I'm at when I press the gas pedal slightly, until I either press it more and accelerate or let off the gas and coast. In that certain throttle position though for some reason, it makes a rattling flapping type of noise. It's not very loud but it is not very pleasant either. I am thinking maybe I need to clean my fuel injectors? Maybe I should sea foam it again? I'm not sure what it could be. It definitely makes the noise when I am pressing the gas pedal though. Maybe it needs an oil change, idk what else it could be. I've only been putting premium in it for the last couple months, after a little while of running regular gas before I realized these cars really needed premium. I'm just wondering what the noise is. It must be a noise somebody else has had.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just buy better leds from carid.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
PS it doesn't just make the noise at 1500 rpms. What I realized right now is it makes the noise at whatever rpm I'm at when I press the gas pedal slightly, until I either press it more and accelerate or let off the gas and coast. In that certain throttle position though for some reason, it makes a rattling flapping type of noise. It's not very loud but it is not very pleasant either. I am thinking maybe I need to clean my fuel injectors? Maybe I should sea foam it again? I'm not sure what it could be. It definitely makes the noise when I am pressing the gas pedal though. Maybe it needs an oil change, idk what else it could be. I've only been putting premium in it for the last couple months, after a little while of running regular gas before I realized these cars really needed premium. I'm just wondering what the noise is. It must be a noise somebody else has had.

Sounds like you cleaned your engine a bit too much, lol. I wouldn't SeaFoam it again. The purpose of SeaFoam is to clean out the "gunk" in your engine. The gunk usually builds up where there are "gaps" between metal parts.

It sounds like your valves are tapping. Not the end of the world, but I would do an oil change right away. See if the noise subsides.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds like a bad turbocharger to me. LOL!

Last edited by Jac; 02-17-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:58 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread. Good news is that it has been some time since I've had any issues with the 'ol cat. Bad news is I'm having an issue with the 'ol cat.

I've searched the forums and I'm not really finding an answer and this is the closest post to what I'm experiencing. Besides the advice to get better leds, and to do an oil change, is anyone out there familiar with this happening to them too?

I don't know how to describe it other than I've heard older carburated vehicles make the same sound under a load. It's like the carb is gurgling or something. I keep wanting to refer to the sound as throttling, but I'm sure that's not a good reference. It's not a metal type rattling sound. It's like the engine is gurgling when I give it gas or when i go uphill. It doesn't affect the performance or acceleration, just as the OP mentioned. I'd be inclined to think, based on the sound, that there's more air than fuel combusting. But I have no idea if that is really accurate. I have no codes, no dash lights coming on and I have always used premium gas. Nothing has changed. I am due for another oil change, but this started happening prior to my last oil change (about 3k miles ago).

I read a general automotive diagnosis that suggested cars that experience this, usually the EGR valve needs to be replaced. Or the cam sensors. Or higher octane fuel. When I check the local parts store they do list an EGR valve for my car. Also RockAuto lists one, but I read here on the forums that the 3.0 X Type does not have an EGR valve. For one, I have no idea where the EGR could be and an internet search has proved fruitless. That may be because, in fact, the X doesn't have an EGR as I read on this forum. But I don't know why the parts shop would list one then. Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and what I need to fix/replace to resolve it?

Just to recap, when i accelerate or go up hill or any time the car is under a load, there's a gurgling sound like an old carburated truck would make when it is in low gear and its getting more gas. There is no smell of gas, there are no codes, no dash lights and I use premium. It does not cause the car to sputter or hesitate. It doesn't seem to happen if I have cruise control on. Thanks for you insight.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same problem

I'm just wondering if anybody found a solution yet. I experience the same issue exactly as the last member described. I will swap throttle body tomorrow and will know if its related, then update here.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:32 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don’t have a definitive answer, but the weather has gotten colder here and I notice the sound went away pretty substantially. Nonetheless I took it to a shop I’ve gone to before and asked. He seemed to be pretty certain it was a catalytic converter causing the sound. Said it may be a heat shield, but a heat shield is a bit more tingy sounding than a catalytic converter that he said sounds like a ball shaking around in an almost empty spray can. He also learned towards a cat since it doesn’t do it if I’m in neutral and I rev the engine.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I seem to remember this from the past and what people found was the heat shield on the back side of the motor came loose and it was rattling around, causing the noise that they are hearing.