Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rattle, 2.1V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts
Default Engine rattle, 2.1V6

Some advice please.

The new kitty in the fleet (still earning its Cats stripes). A Dec 2009 build 2.1V6 LE, Vin # J63537, 114000kms.
Service book all stamped, HAHA, but the oil was BLACK when I picked it up, so no trust there sadly.

Engine AT operating temp, NOT cold.

Intermittent rattle from the engine whilst accelerating very moderately. Accelerate harder, silent.

Sounds like chain rattle, but I really doubts it.

Reasons:

I have heard this type of noise before.

If it were a:

V12, I would say, plastic chain tensioner has snapped, or your timing is waaaaaay advanced, and its pre-ignition rattle.

XK 6cyl, exhaust heatshield rattling on the manifold.

AJ16, top chain rattle, live with it, they all do it.

AJ30 V6 in the S Types, VVT ratchet rattle, sorted by a quick blip of the throttle, and a deeper knock, more than a tinny rattle. Not that, blipping has no effect.

Sitting in the shed, CANNOT reproduce, oops.

Read ALL the TSB's I can find here and elsewhere, and the flex plate scrape pops up, but its NOT a scrape, its a tinny rattle.

Trans fluid is being drained and refilled once it cools down, maybe???????

BFH will be applied to any tin shield etc I find whilst under there, so maybe ?? again.

If someone has any startling items, like "the rod form here to there needs a small bend to top it rattling on that thing", I will take it all under the beast with me.

There are NO codes, it is a clean sheet, so VVT, and/or chain, sounds out the window me thinks.

As usual, thanks in advance for whatever replies I get.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 11-17-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling still sucks
Old 11-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Can't help with the rattle, Grant, but (and I recognise your long experience with Jags) I very recently changed the Xmission fluid on my machine and posted the process I followed for other users, particularly the 2.1 litre, in Australia. It can be found on the following thread:: Gearbox fault, amber light, and a burnt smell.
Good luck in your quest.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-17-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

SORTED.

Trans fluid, BLACKER that black, thinner than water, and stank like cats pee. So much for stamped service history, AND a receipt for trans fluid drain and refill at 60K kms.

Did what I have always done with grubby transmissions, and on drain and refill #3 as I type.

1st refill, MUCH smoother, and it was NOT "unsmooth" before.

20kms, with LOTS of gear changing involved.

NO more rattle, and I WAS listening.

Drain, slight reddish tinge to stuff running out. Refil, another run as above, drain again, looking good, still NO rattle.

Refilled, and that's it for a week, and the trans is MUCH better than before, and that rattle is gone.

The rattle I di narrow down to teh trans, as I had heard it years ago, just recall is slower now, and that ws in teh CJ8, XF 5speed, which was 300ml low on flyuid, and pnce topped off, no more rattle.

This Jatco drained JUST 3ltrs on the first drop. I refilled with 4ltr flat, and that is sweet enough.

That fill plug fiasco is not on my brave list.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Yup, in my post of the fluid change with instructions and pictures as well as the DEFINITIVE answer on check level plug, I noted mine was black, thin as water and smelled like what we call in the Western U. S. as drain ditch water smell.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-26-2018)