X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default engine rattle

I have a 2004 x and I have a slight engine rattle at startup and sometimes during acceration from a dead stop. I have changed the oil with Castrol 5w30 and installed a JAG oil filter. Its almost sounds like bad gas but I use premium gas. I was thinking maybe it was a pully on the engine but wouldn't that rattle all the time? Would a bad knock sensor cause the engine to rattle? I had a 98 maxima that rattled at crank up and I had to replace the timing chain tensioner. I hope its not that .. Any ideas, the car has 72,000 miles on it.... clayton memphis Tn

Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

sound clip?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 03 X-TYpe 2.5 I once owned rattled at idle, and, it turned out to be a loose torque convertor flex plate. Your could hear it very plainly with the engine idling and the hood open. Took the dealer about 4 hours to fix it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM

I'll try and get a sound clip, I took it to the dealer and of course it did not make a sound when I took the tech for a test drive.../cr

Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Calyton,
I see you tried the oil/filter change and it still rattles. Do you have your old filter still? If so cut it open and unravel the paper and look for metal filings. If none then??????

As far as the flex plate. There is a door at the back of the oil pan held on by two bolts, that will give you access to 4 bolts that hold the Torque Converter to the flex plate. TIP: Use a 1/2 drive ratchet and appropriate socket to turn crank pulley bolt clockwise (only). These 4 bolts are pretty easy to get to, just be sure to use the correct N/mm (ft/lbs) or torque setting.

Does it rattle in the front of the engine? (where the large serpentine belt is located)

After rereading your post. It sounds like fuel. There is a knock sensor buried, deep down on top of the block. Have you switched GAS or brands? Not necessarily "octane" rating. My X WILL NOT drink if it contains ethanol. It spits and sputters and feels sick. You could try a can of boost during your next visit to the watering hole.

To me the bad "gas" sound is more of a hollow ping than a rattle. In a stick shift, if you start from a stop in 2nd you will get a gurgle/rattle/shake. What I am getting at is the sound. It is very difficult to explain a "rattle" since it could mean just about anything to someone else. When describing a sound give it your meaning, like rattle, and then tell us what "rattle" sounds like to you, i.e. chain links from a chain in a scary movie, the round baby toy with little beads inside, loose change in your pocket etc...

Hope this helps you get to the source

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

what brand gas does not have ethanol?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM

The old filter is in the dump but I found a guy here in the memphis area that worked for the Jag dealership for 27 years and now he works on jags at his home. He has a nice shop in his backyard. I talk to him today and he told me to bring my X in monday. He said that he has replace several "front" catalytic converters on the X that made the same rattling sound. I just want him to tell me what it is - I'll replace whatever is making the noise myself. I'm glad I found him. I also told him that my oil pan was leaking slightly and that I got under the car and put a "little" torgue on the oil pan bolts and it stop leaking. He said if started leaking again he could replace the oil pan gasket for $875 dollars. The dealer wanted $1,500 -- ouch....anyway I'll update this thread next week on the rattle.../clayton

Last edited by clayton12; 03-18-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM

jvegas,
I buy gas from a Texaco station that promotes the do not have ethanol. I have found several stations that do not server ethanol.

My ride starting throwing codes last year when it became an additive in just about all gas. I would get the "gear box fault" several times a day. It also seemed to be running hotter, more heat after shutting it down. Gauge inside vehicle read normal. That is when I learned that the ethanol was now in just about all gas. I limped home several times. My next fill up I used 100% gas, that was the advertisement at the station. Problems disappeared and has never returned.

When I am leaving town I carry a couple cans of boost, just in case I can't find "Real Gas" as they put it.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X-type Catalytic Converter Rattle

My Jag was making the exact noise described in the previous posts. I took my time today and I removed the front Catalytic converter, very easy only 40 minutes. There is a small metal cap that has holes in it (see image attached circled in red) that is unattached and either you needs to be welded back, or like I did, completely removed. That is the "chain like rattle" the Jaguar has... as soon as I assembled everything back, rattle noise was gone...

Hope it helps....

Attached Thumbnails engine rattle-cat.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 AM

thanks zhyking, I'm taking it to a jag tech tonight,, I'm curious - after you took the catalylic coverter off, could you tell it had come apart inside. (like shaking it)../clayton

Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 AM

mines more of a ting like the lifters tapping only happens sometimes not all..any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM

what is a sound clip and what does it look like?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:54 AM

my xj6 makes a rattle noise in front ,when i slightly give it a little gas it will go away .but at first it it loud. any suggestions..thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM

I've read in JTIS/ALLDATA that the Engine mounts can cause engine rattle. As you apply RPM the engine will balance and no sound. I have also read on other forums that XJs have Chain Tensioner issues.

Use a mechanic stethoscope to isolate the rattle. If in the front cover you have your answer.

Inspect the motor mounts bushing and Torque on the bolts.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Default front engine noise

Originally Posted by clayton12
i have a 2004 x and i have a slight engine rattle at startup and sometimes during acceration from a dead stop. I have changed the oil with castrol 5w30 and installed a jag oil filter. Its almost sounds like bad gas but i use premium gas. I was thinking maybe it was a pully on the engine but wouldn't that rattle all the time? Would a bad knock sensor cause the engine to rattle? I had a 98 maxima that rattled at crank up and i had to replace the timing chain tensioner. I hope its not that .. Any ideas, the car has 72,000 miles on it.... Clayton memphis tn
this has happened to me this week on my jag. I found out it was my harmonic balancer.i was turning the fan belt and the main engine pully didn't turn but the belt was turning on it ,it was slipping. It took me a few weeks to find it as mine got worst.i also had it happen to a '96 jeep i had..it causes a rattle and sometimes idleing it causes a sweeking noise as the pully slips on the rubber. I found one which i'm picking up tomorrow at part guts in blacksburg s.c. Fo $90 (cheep huh) good luck ,maverick34

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

When I removed the cat conv everything was fibe inside, Just that smal cap the i mentioned in my previous thread. I had the option of replacing the whole part with a new one, but x-type cat conv are very expensive. with this quick fix the noise went away.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 PM

Chris X - I have a similar sound. Did you ever find the problem?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM

I think I have the same problem but im not sure if i found the right torque spec for the flex plate bolts, does anyone know exact specs?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Good looks on the info, it fixed my rattle.