X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Speed Whine @ Low Speeds - X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Speed Whine @ Low Speeds - X-Type

I have a whine that isnoticeable @ low speeds but follows the engine speed through the gears. I've ruled out wheel / driveshaft bearings and rear diff because the pitch change is tied to the engine and not the ground speed. It sounds more like a power steering pump out of fluid than metal on metal. The dealer put on a new transfer case but the sound is still there.

Something else to note is when cool, there is no or very little of this sound. It becomes more noticeable after ~ 10 miles on the highway.

Some questions.

Is there a bearing between the Engine and Trans or Trans and TC that could be making this noise? The only other thing I can think of would be the Trans itself. I tried shifting w / J-gate and the whine goes up and down w / engine speed. Pop it out of gear and the sound goes away.

The dealer said they could not find anything else wrong. There may not be, I'd just like to know what it is.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Engine Speed Whine @ Low Speeds - X-Type

Rick, I PM you about this, please copy and paste into this thread so I don't have to retype. Long story short, sounds like center bearing in propshaft.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 AM

[FactoryJaguarTech wrote]

Between the transfer case and the diff is the propshaft (driveshaft). In the middle of the propshaft is a center or carrier bearing. The x-type shafts are crap. Jag knows this and there are bulletins about it. If it is under warranty, insist they replace the propshaft. Without being in car it is hard to diagnose noises.
Hope this helps.

[xtyperick wrote]

Thanks for the input, and I know it’s hard to diagnose a description! Luckily, I think I got a good shaft. Ofthe (3-4)loaner X-types I have driven, all of them had some sort of driveline vibration...and or howl @ higher speeds. Interestingly, the vibrations were all at different speeds. My X runs vibration free...and quiet Except for this new whine.

I don't think it’s the prop shaft because the sound changes pitch with the engine speed as it changes gears. As the car accelerates, the pitch starts low and gets higher. When the car changes from 1st to 2nd gear, as the engine RPM's drop, the pitch drops too...and then rises again as the engine RPM increases.

I honestly think it's in the Tranny because...If I rev the engine out of gear rolling or stopped, the sound is not there. That test should eliminate the engine and accessories. (Alternator/PS/etc) If I coast out of gear @ any speed, the sound is not there. They installed a new Transfer case so it should be good.

I have ~ 1400 miles left on my warranty. I may try and bring it to them after work when it's warmed up and louder. I hate to bug them if it's really not a problem but I also don't want to replace a Tranny on my $$$ at mile 50001 either.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Sorry, I didn't quite get what you were saying the first time round. If noise not there in neutral, Could still be drive shaft because you are taking the load off of it. They put x-fer box in today? Hope it is fixed. If not take it right back in. You can still get things covered after the 50k mark.

Hate to say it, but from what you describe, could def be the trans. Sucks not being able to hear noise through words!

Good luck with it.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM

The X-fer box went in a few weeks ago and yes, the sound I brought it in for is still there.

To me it sounds like it's on the input side of the tranny. Normally I would drop the fluid, maybe an oil analysis, but these crazy cars don'thave a dip stick to check the level or a normal drain/fill. I've read many home grown ways to change the fluid on these cars and for that matter what fluid to use. What's your opinion here?

I would have changed my ATF by now because I live where the summers are very hot. But with the warranty, I figured I should leave it alone.

My service rep said to drive it till it got louder. He did say I should not worry if something happens a "few ticks" over 50K miles...whatever a tick is???

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

You can flush the trans. There is a hex bolt on the bottom you can drain it with. To fill it, the easiest way is to remove batter (make sure you reprograme windows after) and there is a bolt there. I will try and get pics to upoad.

Fill capacity is
Transmission and Differential Lubricants – Specification and Capacity
X-TYPE: 2001 MY onwards

9.3 quarts (US) of Jatco 3100 PL085 or ATF IDEMITSU K17

Hope this helps. Oh....you wont need 9.3 quarts. There is a level plug. With vehicle at operating temp, in park, fluid should run out at a trickle.

I will try and get pics for you tomorrow.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

While you mentioned reprogramming the windows..When I replaced my Battery a few months ago,My windows lost their auto up feature..and in the space of a couple of days, they seemed to reprogram them selves and went back to the full auto up and down again....How'd that happen?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 PM

The windows may have got programming back if you open them fully and then close them fully again. The window motors only need to see travel distance from closed to open several times. The programming just makes it quicker.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 AM

FactoryJaguarTech,

Thanks for the info! Pix would be great!

Another question. Usually pulling the drain plug does not get all the old fluid out. Is there a flush procedure I should follow to get the rest out of the lines / cooler / etc.?Do Ineed to worry about whats left?

After a search, there is not much info onATF IDEMITSU K17. It looks like there is a Valvoline version. MaxLife vv324. If I don't flush all the old fluid, I don't likemixing brands so I will likely get the Jatco 3100 PL085from the dealer...Not much info on it out there either.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 AM

If you flush it then fill it and drive a hundred yards then repeat a few times you should be fine. Trans fluid is very detergent so I wouldn't worry much. I am personally not a big believer in flushing trannys. Sometimesthe old stuff is all that's holding it together.