X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan modulator 03 x type update

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Thumbs down Fan modulator 03 x type update

I found a fan mod. from a 04 because I wanted the updated part because of the weak J gate on the 02/03. Received it last Wednesday AND it doesn't have any wires on it and is a inch wider, since the wires are molded into the old one I had a problem.I could cut and splice them with big spade connectors but the power wire and the control wire are in the same connector on the new/used one and are separate on the car and the old one. I found out the car they took it off of had a after market fan and mod. in it and they won't sell the wiring without the complete fan assy.I prefer not to cut and splice and blow the ECM even following the schematic, SO I am having them find a direct fit mod.The Kitty will sit on jacks as I am tied up with my wife's Kemo procedure and don't have time and stuck away from home.The saga continues!!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Bill, instead of spading things together, I would recommend using some butt connectors (uninsulated) and then covering the butt connector with some Raychem heat shrink tubing. That will allow you to use your current plug and not have to worry about electrical issues in the future. If you want more info or need the old and new diagrams, let me know.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM

thanks Chris I would love to do it that way but I have two problems. One being there is no wire at all on the up dated mod.just three big ports(with male spades in them) one for each fan and one for the power from the power source, in the power source plug there are two small pins for control wires to the ECM,( they must have been incorporated in with the power plug). The other problem is the mod. is to wide to fit in the fan shroud pocket.My last ditch solution was to put large insulated spades on each pin and run the original wires to the fans and power then connect the trigger wires with small round connectors from the new mod. to the two on the car.Then deal with the over sized mod. This is why I am having them find a OEM mod. The mod they sent me was from a aftermarket fan and module set up that was on the donor car not a OEM set up. Ether they didn't know it was after market or didn't care until i pointed it out and they went out and looked then said "it's not OEM fans" and they wont separate the wires set-up from the fan housing.The fun part(haha) is there is no stamping or marks on the new mod.to tell where the trigger wires go to.
I'm playing it by ear and hope I can get a direct plug-in module and send back this one.I'll keep updating but I am not at home all week.(at the hospital for my wife).

Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Bill, are there other markings on the controller. Maybe there is something that while it may seem un-important, it may give a lot of useful information. If there is anything written on the module you have, send it my way and maybe I can give you some other solutions and may even be able to figure out the pin configuration for you.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Default module

Thanks Chris

There is only a small tag, When return home or get my hands on it again I will copy the tag and post it. Other than that nothing. I think they come as a matched set (fan assy. and module) that is why it is generic.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey bill, I have a fan module for you if needed. It comes off of a 04. Pm me and we can talk price and I can get it shipped out to you. Let me know if you need anything as I am parting out another jag. 2004.

Good luck with your wife. Prayers for you and her.

The Dr!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM

03 x type modulator
Well guys I hope the saga is over. They found a modulator from a 05 and are sending it via speedy delivery on Thursday,with a tag to return for the wrong one.

DR Dome:
Wife just had to have two teeth pulled before they can do Kemo because it wouldn't last a year and might abscess and infect and that can't happen with stem cell.