X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about my (new to me) 2006 estate wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Default A few questions about my (new to me) 2006 estate wagon

Having a great time learning about my new toy, and all the support from the forum has been great. A few questions:

1. Does anyone know what this is for? Same location as the TC button on the sedans; nothing in the owner's manual about it (sorry the picture's so large).

2. Rear Tailgate Struts - I found plenty of listings for the hood and sedan trunk, nothing about the tailgate (unless it's the same strut as the trunk).

Thanks,

Old 07-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the photo - that is simply a flashing red light to show the immobiliser and alarm system are armed when locking with the remote and three small slots for coins! On some cars, a TC button is there instead, yes.

The following users liked this post:
max224 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Actually, DSC button....

Old 07-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew it had a fancy name!

Old 07-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I think that strut is Jag # C2S32825. Rock Auto lists aftermarket struts for the wagon as Sachs brand, p/n SG266004.

max224 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys, knew i could get these questions answered here!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

If you plan to drive the wagon in the winter you may wish you had purchased one with DSC. It took me 9 months to find my 2006 wagon, because I was looking for one with the "Dynamic Stability Control." Do a forum search about the 2004 and newer with open differentials versus the older transfer cases with viscous couplers. Perhaps Thremo has his posting bookmarked and can send you to his explanation why you want DSC for winters on 2004 and newer X-types.

Joe

Old 08-01-2018, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New member and new owner here, but from what I understand (I have a habit of researching in depth any potential purchase), the DSC (traction control) was fitted on the two wheel drive versions only, to make up for the lack of AWD.
I'd think in that case that the implication would be that the versions without DSC are just as good, or even superior in winter conditions?
Correct me if I'm wrong there

Alfadude (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Eglon
New member and new owner here, but from what I understand (I have a habit of researching in depth any potential purchase), the DSC (traction control) was fitted on the two wheel drive versions only, to make up for the lack of AWD.
I'd think in that case that the implication would be that the versions without DSC are just as good, or even superior in winter conditions?
In Jaguars application, "Dynamic Stability Control" is more than "Traction Control" DSC adds a pitch-roll-yaw sensor. Traction control is part of the ABS system on all X-types. Now you made me have to go back and find the links associated with the X-types variations. (When Thermo gets around to reading this, he can explain much better.) (First link might explain well enough.)

Links:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...control-36023/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-case-11212/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-case-204301/

max224 (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM

It does seem to make perfect sense.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:38 AM

Seems to be starting to make sense. So the button could or could not be present on any model?
the point I suppose I was initially making was in relation to a precious post about being terrible in winter. I would imagine that if the OP's car has AWD, it would be reasonably good in poor traction situations, with or without a button to turn off traction control

Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Eglon
You are wrong in your assumption. DSC came on a lot of AWD X-Types, but was not standard. Where it is extremely useful is for post-2004 cars after they changed the transfer case from a viscous coupling design to the open differential design. With the latter, when wheel spin is detected all the torque is filtered to that wheel, so you are basically won't go anywhere. If you have DSC it applies just enough brake to stop the wheel from spinning. My car was a 2005 and that setup was actually quite effective in snow, although I definitely would have preferred the earlier design.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Our X-Types have 2 to 4 brake systems, depending on model year, engine, AWD vs. FWD, etc.:
  • Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): If a wheel locks up while braking, e.g., on wet pavement, the ABS releases brake pressure to the locked wheel until it rotates and regains traction with the pavement. Prior to ABS we were taught to "pump the brakes". Same concept, but ABS pumps much faster and only to the locked wheel
  • Traction Control System (TCS): When accelerating, if one wheel receives too much power and spins, e.g., on snow, the TCS applies brake pressure to the spinning wheel and reduces engine torque until all drive wheels rotate about the same speed
  • Emergency Brake Assist (EBA): During a panic stop when brake pressure spikes suddenly, the EBA applies maximum brake pressure until the ABS activates, stopping the car quicker and safer than most humans could
  • Dynamic Stability Control (DSC): Of these 4 brake systems, only DSC steers the car in the direction intended by the driver, by applying brake pressure to multiple wheels and reducing engine torque until the car resumes the intended direction. X-Types with DSC have a DSC button on the center console

Jaguar's shop manual, assuming I'm reading it correctly suggests (pages 376 & 377 - feel free to opine if you read it differently):
  • All X-Types have ABS
  • X-Types with DSC also have EBA and TCS
  • X-Types with Diesel and 2.0L Petrol engines have TCS
Said another way, though not explicitly stated in the shop manual, the inference is Jaguar built our X-Types with 1 of 3 brake combinations:
  • 2.5L & 3.0L Petrol engines with ABS, DSC, EBA and TCS
  • 2.5L & 3.0L Petrol engines with ABS, without DSC, EBA and TCS
  • 2.0L Petrol & Diesel engines with ABS and TCS, without DSC and EBA
Anyone have a different insight? For example, does anyone have a 2.0L Petrol or Diesel X-Type with DSC?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I've researched the mother loving crap out of with or without DSC on post 2004+ X's. It was DEFINITELY an option add on. I even called Jaguar and they confirmed it was an option (at memory here = around $450).
I don't disagree with the reasoning, experience, nor actual function that DSC adds an element for better traction in snow. I just know, as mentioned numerous times in this forum, that in my 2,500 miles drive home from New Jersey after purchase; through a BAD freaking blizzard through Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming into Utah, my car drove like a cat, lol. Still did this past winter (2nd one for my kitty).

Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Mine does not have DSC, but does have ABS (obviously) & is also equipped with Electric Brakeforce Distribution(EBD or EBFD) .

Old 08-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Odd bit on my sticker though, my passenger seat is 8 way power, same as drivers (?). And it doesn't mention NAV, rain sensing wipers, CDC and some other minor things. My thinking is that there was an additional sticker I didn't get on purchase (perhaps previous owner discarded or something) that showed additions.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Dell: Interesting. If Electric Brakeforce Distribution is in the shop manual under that name or some variant, I don't yet find it. It appears to be an ABS advancement that balances brake pressure so the wheels are less likely to lock up. A preventative ABS, so to speak.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

It could bite me square in the pants and I wouldn't know where to look for it or what it would even look like. I press the gas it goes, it's snowy it goes, I press my brakes, they work, yipee!! :-) :-) :-)

Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
You are wrong in your assumption. DSC came on a lot of AWD X-Types, but was not standard. Where it is extremely useful is for post-2004 cars after they changed the transfer case from a viscous coupling design to the open differential design. With the latter, when wheel spin is detected all the torque is filtered to that wheel, so you are basically won't go anywhere. If you have DSC it applies just enough brake to stop the wheel from spinning. My car was a 2005 and that setup was actually quite effective in snow, although I definitely would have preferred the earlier design.
that sort of makes sense, apart from the fact that any system would detect wheel spin and actively direct additional torque to that wheel. That would be self defeating.
is it not more the case that the car doesn't have a limited slip diff, and just passively (and quite uselessly) allows the torque to go to that wheel. That would be the same as any car without an LSD.
saying that, have I possibly read somewhere that the 60:40 rear:front wheel split on Jag's AWD system can change in response to drivibg conditions, or am I just making things up in my head now?
if that's not the case, it's just a simple case of the old fashioned method of putting a bag of sand/a few house bricks/a dead body in the boot. That was my standard DSC method in cars of my youth.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 AM

Just a bit of a query...

I replied to one of the above posts yesterday, but can see that my reply has not been published. It did say at the time something about it being subject to approval.

That seemed odd, as previous posts of mine had gone straight on.

Can anyone shed any light?

Quick Reply: A few questions about my (new to me) 2006 estate wagon