Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fill it up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fill it up!

Hey guys how are u ya doing - hopefully is good under the hood-

Just want to ask other Xtype owners for some tip due to I don't have many friends that have or owned a X, I want to know if anyone got any tips on how to save money on gas- what can I do or what should I test - I love my car but maaaaaan I looked at my book in the past 2yrs it's getting really expensive!!!! compared to my last car BMW m3- I do use only premium gas.I live in northern jersey USA - the best gas here is Shell which has V-power gas - I also use sunoco ultra gas great kick - I also put lucas fuel treatment injector cleaner evey oil change. I changed the spark plugs with trouble platinum & upper & lower gasket - no codes so fare/ but I do have these codes pop up ( P1747- c1155I ) do have an issue with the front left side speed cencer- not sure if this can cause a high lost of fuel

I just want to know how can I test or what can I change out - so if anyone who figured out a trick or a routine please let us in - so I don't have to listen to my wife & trade in me car for a fuel efficient mini van - (help)

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

The joys of owning a 3.0 X type I guess.

Not sure what your codes relate to, but if you check in the X type How to / FAQs at the top of the page all the codes are listed in there for you.

If its any consolation we're paying around $11.00 a gallon here in the UK

Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Juan, how fast do you drive? THe X-TYpe seems to like between 55and 75. If you do a lot of under 55 driving, the mileage can really suffer. Also, letting the cat sprint can hurt things too.

I have also found that the mileage of the car is dramatically affected by how long it runs at temp. If you do a lot of 10 mile and under runs, your mileage is going to be horrible since the car has a really rich mix when the motor is not at temp. To go along with this, the colder it is outside, the more the kitty likes to drink the gas. I see a 3 MPG difference between summer and winter doing the same drive.

As for improving your mileage, here is a list of things that I would say to do:

-keep the MAF sensor clean
-keep a good air cleaner in the car (change every 10K miles or so)
-when accelerating, depress the gas pedal such that the car naturally shifts at about 3,000 RPM and then ease off as you get to speed
- when approaching a red light, as soon as you know you will be needing to stop for a light, let the car coast up to the light. Do not charge the light and then have to use the brakes more than you have to.
-Keep your tires on the higher end of the rated tire pressure for your tires (not to max, but if the tire is rated for say 44 psi max, keep the fronts at 40 psi and the rears at 35-38 psi)
-keep the car as empty as possible of random stuff (100 pounds of extra stuff is good for about 0.1-0.2 mpg)
-if you can, keep the dash heat off until the car gets up to temp. LIke was previously mentioned, if the motor takes longer to warm up, it remains in that really rich cycle for longer.

Those are the biggies that are coming to mind right now.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow that's great I get right to it anything to save a buck or two counts the end of the day. Thanks bro

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You could install a voltage stabilizer to the battery and thick grounding wires to the the engine. Also make sure the differential and transfer case have oil in them. Changing that seemed to help it drive smoother. K&N air filter. Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Drive modestly, don't mash the gas pedal when you take off from stops. I used some engine cleaner called Sea Foam, not sure if it is recommended by Jaguar but it helps clean out engines improve idle. Also, I use the cheap gas. I personally think premium is overrated.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-09-2013 at 01:08 AM.