X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first real storm of the season here... x-type SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default first real storm of the season here... x-type SUCKS!

Well folks....
We had our first major storm of the season here this weekend, and I have to admit that I'm terribly disappointed in the X-type's performance in the snow and ice.

Isn't the '02 supposed to be a 50/50 torque split? Cuz I've had many rear-wheel drive cars who were less prone to the old "***-end passes the front-end" than this car.

I think I've still got some alignment issues that need to be worked-out.... (apparently a $149 4-wheel alignment at the dealership isn't enough to find all the problems [:'(] ) and while I'm at it, I'll invest in some heavy snow-tires.... hopefully that will render it driveable.....
But I gotta say I'm terribly disappointed. Compared to an Audi AWD, or a Subaru AWD, this thing blows.

Anyone else have any feedback on how they like theirs in the snow?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: first real storm of the season here... x-type SUCKS!

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  6.0 KB

The split is 60/40 McJag if I remember correctly biased to the rear.
Mine was an 02 and I live in a road where there is a long gradient up towards a left hand bend which has an even steeper gradient before you hit the main road.......A REAL nightmare to exit when its been snowing heavily and or there's ice about. Last year my X was about the oly car to make it out without any real hardship.
There were around 6 or more cars queued up with their occupants throwing salt around, gettin the shovels out and pushin each others cars[&:]

I also forgot to mention that there are 3 speed bumps which restrict any kind of speed at all which means you cannot get a run at it.....It'd be worthless anyway cos of the sharp left hander on a gradient.

I of course only saw this in passing as I drove on by and out the road end

Jim

Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

McJag..you are the first to complain in my memory..I have very little experience with the X in snow/ice because of our mild winters here in Oklahoma., but the little I did drive in snow, it was phenonminal to say the least..Like I said, that was maybe once or twice since I've owned it..I have a HUMMER if it ever gets real ugly on the roads...

It will be interesting to see what the matter is with your car..Because surely something ain't right..

BTW Jim, you are correct..It has always been 60/40.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The X-type is a beast in the snow! You might want to check your tires... One thing to remember is that you might be driving your X-Type a bit more aggressive because you know it has AWD. Any car or truck will slip or slide if you drive it hard in the snow/ice. I have had 2 X-Types (03 and 05) and the 03 drove better in the snow. I do believe they changed the AWD system in 04. The old system was more 50/50 then the new system but they both are great in the snow compared to any other car.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll vouch for the X in the snow. Living in vermont and on back roads it's all up and down to get to my house. Even though I'm a little embarrassed to say I run all season tires on my car it still climbs without

issues even in deep snow.

Downhill on the other hand is a little scary at times. I'm blaming the stupid all-season tires that I'm running[:'(], but it seems to me that it's just the weight of the car that will break it loose downhill as opposed to

my friends little subie sedan that can creep downhill in first gear without issues.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Going into my third winter with my '02. Stops and starts in snow and ice better than anything I've owned. Front, rear or 4 wheel drive. Of course, I do run dedicated snow tires in the winter.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been through 2 snow storms and a few ice storms, and my X has performed at its best during those times. Even during hard rain, it stays glued to the road.

Sounds like the OP needs to buy some winter tires.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

McJag, sorry to say buddy, it's gotta be you. My 02 won't break loose in the snow/ice unless I'm really tromping on it and trying to fishtail. Granted I run dedicated snow/ice tires in the winter.

The thing is an absolute tank!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM

I've got these ugly Continental crap.... granted, not a snow tire.
I'm gonna go see what I can find today to put on it.
Anyone have any recomendations?
I'd like to go with something that's not TOO noisy.....

Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed Bo. I have 16's for winter and 17's for summer. 16's are just much cheaper to purchase.

If you want some mountain goat tires - Nokian Hakkapiletta (sp?) are wicked good in the slop. But they are terrible on dry pavement. You'd probably get pulled over. My Hankook Icebear W300's are a nice snow/ice compound and are reasonably priced.

And remember, brakes are brakes. AWD doesn't help there.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bridgestone Blizacks!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My X has all-season tires (I am assuming) and apparently it lacks the stability control feature, but it really has done well in the winter weather so far. I imagine it would be even better with the snow tires and stability control, but as it is, I can count on it to get me from point A to B in nasty weather safely.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:50 PM

I just went and had the alignment done at a shop I know and trust.
I looked at it with him as he got it in the air, looking for anything broken / loose / worn..... and it all seems pretty sound.
The alignment specs when I got there were so far off, I could have done much better in the driveway with a measuring tape and a bent piece of string..... There is NO WAY IN HELL the dealership I took it to even stuck this on the rack..... They took my $149 and applied it to my "free labor" to fix a screwup they caused on something else.
Pretty frustrating. Especially since my next-nearest dealership is 300+ miles away. [:@]

So anyway: I also bought a new set of shoes for it..... just a directional all-season.
My initial drive tells me it's been cured of the 'scared-dog' problem.... but I'm reserving judgment on the AWD until it snows again. (Starting to now, as I type this)

Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

why did you not get snow tires?
1) couldn't justify the cost when I believe the All-Season tire is what I really need.

Don;t get me wrong Bo, I know that a set of good snow tires would work better in some conditions than my all-seasons will. But in most of the situations I encounter, The all-season will work just fine.

2) Where would I store them for 8 months of the year? My garage is full of race take-offs and new slicks etc etc etc that I've packed into every space a feller could put a tire....

3) They didn't have a snow tire that wouldn;t be very, very noisy in non-snow-packed conditions. This car is used primarily as a sales vehicle, with clients and suppliers usually taking-up passenger duties, and business discussed while traveling.

Now, if I still lived in Calgary, where winter is closer to 6 months than 4, and where they still have not learned to properly clear snow (or shall I say, they had not learned this as of the late 70's, when I left there) then I would probably have made a different choice.

But I will thank ANYONE's God that I no longer live in Calgary! I am just not a winter-sorta-guy.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

McJ - did you request that they set the toe as close to zero as possible?

I have found this setting has really helped with the dreaded front inner-tire wear. Since you are getting a new set of shoes, now would be a good time to think about it.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM

allright!
SO...... I drove this morning's early-AM commute with snow falling and 2" accumulation where the plows had already been. This added to the moisture from yesterday that froze overnight. Reasonably 'trecherous'..... and there were the usual slide-offs and nose-into-the-wall incidents on the freeways.
My X-Type did PHENOMENALLY well. I have officially amended my previous opinion. The car has been dog-legging it so badly ever since the dealer "did a 4-wheel alignment" that the rear WAS actually trying to pass the front......
cried that, and it does just fine, thank you very much.
The only thing that would improve it now would be electronics.... but that would suck all the fun out of winter driving: hand-braking donuts.....

My wife drives an '07Jeep Commander, and I have never.... NEVER driven anything more sure-footed in the snow and ice than it is..... truly magnificent.... but it absolutely will not allow me to 'get jiggy' with the handbrake.... or even throttle steer with that big V8. It just goes where I tell it to. So at least the Jag leaves the thinking to me.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Chicago and have been very happy with the performance in the snow. When my OEM Contential's were bad I had a lot of problems in the snow. I went to Yokohama AS430's to use in the winter. Next spring I plan to get another set of rims and install some summer tires. The Yokohamas are good for all season but the to cornering is worse than the original tires.

I am curious to see how this works out for you.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: McJaguar

allright!
SO...... I drove this morning's early-AM commute with snow falling and 2" accumulation where the plows had already been. This added to the moisture from yesterday that froze overnight. Reasonably 'trecherous'..... and there were the usual slide-offs and nose-into-the-wall incidents on the freeways.
My X-Type did PHENOMENALLY well. I have officially amended my previous opinion. The car has been dog-legging it so badly ever since the dealer "did a 4-wheel alignment" that the rear WAS actually trying to pass the front......
cried that, and it does just fine, thank you very much.
The only thing that would improve it now would be electronics.... but that would suck all the fun out of winter driving: hand-braking donuts.....

My wife drives an '07Jeep Commander, and I have never.... NEVER driven anything more sure-footed in the snow and ice than it is..... truly magnificent.... but it absolutely will not allow me to 'get jiggy' with the handbrake.... or even throttle steer with that big V8. It just goes where I tell it to. So at least the Jag leaves the thinking to me.
I figured you'd have a change of opinion once you put some decent rubber on your X. My wife and I had the chance to drive an 07' X while our S Type was being serviced last year. It happened to snow over 8 inches the first day we had it. I couldn't believe how easily the X plowed through the white stuff!

Glad you got your issues sorted...enjoy!

Quick Reply: first real storm of the season here... x-type SUCKS!