X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluids change

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fluids change

have aftermarket warranty, have had no issues. read all these posts about changing t/c fluid and the like. i want to change these fluids and make it right, but correct me if i'm wrong. the tc and tranny are NOT to be changed. i hope everyone see my conundrum. also would like to change my factory gear shift knob with one from arden. does it just screw off? thanks, Bill

Old 03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fluids change

sorry for the "Bill speak". not meaning to be so incongruent.haha. but if the manufacturer states to NOT replace or refill these fluids, wouldn't this make me liable for not following the manufacturer recommended maintenance if i did change or refill? sorry again. thanks, Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will not tell you what to do in this case but I will let you know of my occurance. I decided to change all lubricants on my X-type here last weekend. This consisted of; engine oil, manual trans oil, rear differential oil, and transfer case oil.

Specifically, the transfer case and rear differential have magnetic drain plugs and to my knowledge based on dealer servicereceipts these fluids were never changed. When I took out both of these magnetic drain plugsapprox 3/16" of metallic sludge was caked on the drain plug. And the topper was when I took out the drain plug for the transfer case NOTHING came out!!! Not even a drop!

Where did the oil go?? There are no leaks to speak of anywhere on the car. Not sure, some X-type owners have speculated that due to the close proximity of the exhaust it could have evaporated the fluid away after long periods (volatility burnoff).

I feel much more comfortable knowing I have fresh synthetic fluid in all areas needed now and hopefully warded off any impending doom or breakdowns.

There is a saying that floats around here that states "lifetime fluids should have lifetime warranties." But there are no warranty that extends that long.

Let us know if you need any assistance completing those fluid changes.
Take care,
Charles

Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chas, what kind of fluids did you use?

and what method of refill and how much?

I am planning to do mine this weekend.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Bo, I noticed the trasmission could be shifted quicker, and went into gears easier without synchros getting notched. I really did not notice any noise difference. I did however take some Mobil1 grease and a grease syringe needle and insert some grease in between the center driveshaft and its rubber housing that it spins inside to extinguish the awful whining when real cold outside.

I did not see any air duct present but I am not really sure what I am looking for. Might you have a picture of it?

The Amsoil 75w-140 Severe gear lube I put in the T-case and rear differential has a flash point (burn off) temperature of 414F. So after that temperature is reached the oil will start to evaporate essentially.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svo.aspx
I was thinking of getting some heat shielding from CoolTec or DEI (search for in Summit Racing catalog) for the exhaust pipe right there and near the oil pan.

Ruslan35, good to hear you are doing that soon.
[ul][*]I used Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filter for the engine[*]Redline MTL for trasmission (ONLY FOR MANUAL 5spds) NOT AUTO'S![*]Amsoil 75-140 gear oil (see above link) for Trasfer case and Rear Differential[/ul]
All oils meet spec requirements and have been proven.

OIL Capacity: 2.5L and 3.0L. 7 US Qts 5.9L w/ filter change Drain Plug 18ft/lbs torque

Rear Differential Oil: Capacity: 2.5L and 3.0L.--1.268 US Qts. 1.2L, (2.5 Pts.) AMSOIL SVG

Transfer Case Oil: REFILL – 2.5L and 3.0L.--1.16 Pts. 0.55L, 550mL, (18.6 Ozs.) AMSOIL SVG
Drain Plug: 15ft/lbs torque

Manual Transaxle Oil: 2.5L and 3.0L.--1.84 US Qts. 1.75L (3.7 Pts.) REDLINE MTL
Drain Plug: 33ft/lbs torque

I used Bo's ball valve refill method (do a search) for the Transfer case and I used my fluid evacuator for sucking and redispensing the new oil into the rear differential and t-case.

Hope this helps,
If you have any further ?'s ask away.
Take care,
Charles

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, you guys are going to give me tons of homework during the summertime!

I casually come on here now, but Bo, is that duct not the one discussed a month or so ago that often comes off from underneath the car? Yeah, keep us up to date!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks Bo, I look forward to the duct picture. [sm=hail.gif]

Took the X-type to the local Jag dealership about the HID's pointed down extremely low in a limp mode fashion. They put the car on Diagnostic computer and seen the Left Rear headlight level sensor was giving an erroneous message. Upon looking underneath the car they seen that is sesnor (that interpruts trunk weight to adjust headlights as to not blind traffic) was hanging down because the mount was broke.

They tie-wrapped it up and adjusted the headlights. They said that a new sensor was $360! After adjusting they erased all codes.

I walked out with a $116 bill (all in all not too bad). They did a courtesy check of fluids, brakes, tires, and lights. Topped off my windshield washer fluid and added a bit of coolant to tank.

I want to crawl under the car and see where this sensor is located. It could have been I knocked it loose while under there when changing all the oil fluids. I do not recall that happpening but it makes sense.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So the sealed for life TC has a drain plug? How suspicious.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

And a fill plug//But you can only get to the drain plug..

Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 AM

Yeah I love how you cannot even get to the fill plug without taking the TC out. They could have least put the fill plugon the side like on the manual transmission.

Here is a pic of the drain plug that came out of the Transfer case. The Rear Diff looked exactly the same.
Also there is a shot of the fluid evacuator/dispenser I used to drain and fill the trans, diff, and T-case.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2536/D318FC0E8E5442DB83A547DA224E11A0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2536/C6D5441782164512B83B4396B2DC8BC9.jpg[/IMG]