Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Left Sway Bar Link Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front Left Sway Bar Link Installation

2002 jaguar x type 2.5l auto.
Does anyone have the procedure of replacing the front left sway/stabilizer bar link. Any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Download and install the JTIS. The instructions and links are on one of the sticky topics on the top of this forum. There in lies the procedure for most repairs along with schematics and photos. Its really handy and I've used it a bunch.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks. But the Jtis doesn't work on my computer.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lift the car, take off wheel, unbolt link(1 upper bolt 1 lower bolt, you may need to hold the bolt with 1 tool and spin the nut with a wrench, it should be obvious when you look at it, usually a allen key or torques goes inside the bolt end while you spin the nut)...bolt new link on, put tire back on, lower car.
done.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks .But the sway bar link does not fit between the space. Its the correct OEM part. As a matter of fact the old sway bar that i removed would no longer fit in the space. Is it possible that the suspension may hace auto adjusted after removing the sway bar. The car is jacked up on the front left side. Do i have to jack up both sides?
thanks

Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Not sure why you removed the whole sway bar to just change the end links. And yes, the bar will go back MUCH easier with both front suspensions lowered, and the entire front off the ground.

If you only have one jack, this won't be an easy, nor safe job to continue with. Borrow a couple jack stands from the neighbor, lift each corner up, get the car safely secured with those stands, then get under the car to finish the work.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks. i just need to correct myself. I Just removed the sway bar link. (Not the Sway Bar) And subsequently, the new OEM sway bar will not fit in the space. I tried re inserting the old one and that too will not fit. It appears as if the space between the sway bar(lower area) and the spring area(upper area) have become smaller once the sway bar link was removed. And yes am using only one jack near the front left side of the vehicle. Are there any adjustments i need to make inorder for the sway bar link to fit in? Any any advice is appreciated. Am going on day number 3 with this problem unresolved.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:36 PM

bolt in 1 end loosely then use a prybar to push the sway bar down to make it fit.
other option is have a friend stand on it to push it down. sway bars are kinda like springs so they have a little pressure on them.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks Ghetto mike. I will try that, but is this a common problem when changing the sway bar link? And would standing or applying a downward pressure on the sway bar may damage it ? Also , should i connect the upper or lower portion of the sway bar link first?

thanks for taking the time to assist me.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

SatWarez, lift the whole front end of the car up into the air. With one front tire on the ground, yes, you are not going to have enough room to put in the new sway bar link. With the front end completely up in the air, you can then even verify that you have the correct link in there as you can look at the other side and match it up to that one (same length link is used on each side).

Essentially what you are experiencing is the car is attempting to transfer the load of the car through the sway bar. Since the left front wheel is completely off of the ground and the other wheel still has some weight on it, the sway bar would be trying to lift the right side up to essentially try to lift the left front tire off of the pavement to get the body to roll to the left.

The following users liked this post:
satwarez (04-08-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM

@Thermo thanks a million. makes plenty sense. Its already sunset here in the Bahamas so am going to attempt this tomorrow morning. Thanks to everyone who asisted me. Will let you know tomorrow if this works.

Again thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 PM

thermo is right, ive never changed the jag ones but ive had the CTS ones disconnected when doin the suspension and and im switchin them to eibach sway bars on monday on my friends cts. it should be the samce concept, just needs a little pressure to line it up, but when installin new ones the say light the whole front up, change them both then put it down.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 AM

@ Thermo , just completed lifting the right side with another jack , therefore the total front end is in the air. As a result the anti-roll bar re adjusted itself back into the normal position, and therefore i was able to simply just re attached the new sway bar link. The clunking noise is gone and the ride is even smoother now. Also should i have the front wheels re aligned? Am going to do the other side in a week or two.

If your planning a trip in The Bahamas please do msg. me I do appreciate your assistance.
again thanks.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Satwarez, no need for an alignment. NOthing you touched should have affected the alignment.

As for if I ever make it down to the Bahamas, I will let you know. Probably won't be for a few years, but I do have plans to make it down that way some time.