Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump problem querry

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Fuel pump problem querry

2006 X 3.0, On trip home from purchase (a 50 hour, 2,500 mile straight through drive) experienced the first event.
Pulled to pay-before-fill station. Pulled up in front, prepaid, want to start and back up to pump, car started ran 2 seconds, died. Wouldn't restart (range showed 58 miles to go & no low fuel light illuminated = it lights on key ignition, goes out on start cycle). Pushed the car backwards to pump, filled with 14.5 gallons (16 gallon tank would coincide with ~ 58 miles to go) Tried starting = immediately fired.
Second event = range showed 98 miles. Fired, ran 2 seconds and died. Wouldn't restart, let it sit 5 minutes, fired up and ran it to filling station 2 blocks away, took 14 gallons.
3rd event today = fired, ran 2 seconds died. Range showed 95 miles, btw gauge each event was @ 1/4 tank or just barely below 1/4. Wouldn't restart (checked fuses, etc.). Got 5 gallons gas, fueled, fired up immediately, filled @ station, took 9 gallons more.
Here's 2 questions = anyone experience this and does the X type have a "saddle" type tank that uses 2(?) pumps main and reserve, where the main empties, reserve called for, reserve pump faulty and thus "out of gas" & perhaps also explain no "low fuel" light not being turned on when this happens (i.e. depleted main side of tank). If this is faulty thought process, does anyone have a better explanation or guidance?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have this problem before; X-Type has two fuel pumps, the left side act like a reserve side, when the right side low to the point (?) the computer or pump module activate the left side to pump the fuel over, your left side pump probably died, that's why the fuel gauge don't show gas is empty, you can replace it; There are thread show how to replace the fuel pump on this forum, or let it go just make the habit to refill every 1/2 tank.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You are probably getting an early warning the fuel is getting tired. The fuel in the tank is used to cool the pump motor. The symptoms seem to indicated that once the pump is cool it runs well.
At 1/4 tank or less there is less fuel for cooling down the return fuel from the rack. I would consider replacing the pump. There is on 1 pump in the x-type.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Since this car is new to you I recommend changing the fuel filter, an inexpensive and easy DIY job. Yes it's a saddle tank but there's only one fuel pump that supplies fuel to the engine. There is a transfer pump function that moves fuel to side of tank that houses the fuel pump. It's possible that you're not getting full amount transferred. Two choices for getting access to the fuel pump and sender on other side: Drop tank or cut floor under rear seat. Yuck. Most other car manufacturers fit access panels; Jaguar didn't on this car, which is cheap and disappointing.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-23-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

So? 2 pumps or not, conflicting info from 2 people. And Thang, not trying to be a "butt", but left and right side descriptions are subjective as to facing front of car (I.e. In driver/passenger seat) or looking from front of car towards trunk, lol. And if there are indeed 2 pumps (?), which is main/reserve (passenger/drivers side) ? The posts to replace I've viewed all seem to show removing rear seat, cutting out the metal "flooring" more towards the passenger side, then bending it all back down and metal tapping or pop riveting a metal plate over the damage you cause.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
You are probably getting an early warning the fuel is getting tired. The fuel in the tank is used to cool the pump motor. The symptoms seem to indicated that once the pump is cool it runs well.
At 1/4 tank or less there is less fuel for cooling down the return fuel from the rack. I would consider replacing the pump. There is on 1 pump in the x-type.
This is correct. The fuel pumps in most modern cars are cooled by the fuel around the. If you habitually run the tank low (and the OP's note suggests that he does) you are courting fuel pump failure. When the needle reaches 1/4 it is time to refuel if possible.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah the overheating is not the problem. As this latest event the car sat overnight (thus plenty cooled off if that was the problem), still wouldn't fire until I added more gas (5 gal), fired immediately.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The right side is passenger side (US car) is the main pump, left side (driver side) pump is the transfer pump, that still count as two pumps; Yes replace either side pump is hard, but if you can not DIY it's will cost lots of $$$$, like I mention in last post; It's not cool nor hot pump, it's transfer pump doesn't work. if you don't mind to fill up every 1/2 tank, it good for the remain pump, because the pump always cool and less dirt get into the fuel filter, like mine never happen again even I haven't replace the pump for quite a long time.

Last edited by Thang Nguyen; 04-23-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 04-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Unfortunately Jaguar was a tease when it came to removing the rear seat to gain what the technicians thought was access to the fuel pump, like the S-Type and XJ (X350) did. In order to remove the fuel tank on the X-Type, you have to disconnect the driveshaft at the diff. Lower the diff, remove the exhaust. Then drop the tank, but you need quite a bit of room to lower the tank.

Have you tried checking fuel pressure? +1 on checking the filter, its fairly easy to get to.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Rear seat fuel pump replacement of main pump =
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...I0FRphr7wXWl_A

Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI left and right is ALWAYS from sitting in the car.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 s Type 4.2l v8 can anyone tell me exactly where the fuel pump(s) are located. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the X-Type forum. It would be better to post your question in the S-Type forum.