X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtype Cali smog issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtype Cali smog issues

Back on 12/1/2016 I bought a clean 2007 Xtype with 86k miles on it from a large national dealership in the San Diego area back on 12/1/16. I lived out of the area and they didn't have it smogged yet but I agreed to take it and get it smogged and they would refund the cost. I thought no big deal. It runs good and no check engine lights and no mods under the hood. Long story short the car had a P1000 code (diagnostics not complete) that I tried to clear for 3 months with drive cycles I found on this forum and it still wouldn't go away so it couldn't be smogged. Other than this the car ran great. So the dealer now has the car back and they gave me a nice loaner to use. It's hard to believe but they have now had the car for 6 weeks and still can't get it smogged. They left it with the local Jag dealer and the last I heard a week ago they were going to replace the cats. We're driving a $50k loaner so I certainly can't complain but 6 weeks to get a car smogged is beyond ridiculous. I bought this for my wife who loves these cars for our 20 yr anniversary. She misses her Jag! Anyone else gone through this with these cars? This is our first Jag. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Generally no. It's got a fault and some dealers are useless. OBD's only a few decades old so hey.

I hope it's their problem as it does not sound like something you'd want to take on.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Xtypo, from the sounds of things, the ECU is loosing the battery power and this is causing the ECU to get reset every time that the car is turned off. This is where if you were to be able to get the car back and then connect up a code reader to the car and then go for say a 20 mile drive, you should be able to see the car reach the "P1111" status. Then if you turned off the car and it then is reset to P1000, that would confirm that problem.

Besides, the dealership should be able to connect up their computer and that will tell them specifically what portion of the self diagnostic is not passing/getting complete and that should give them a starting point. Then it can only be but so many parts. Unfortunately, a lot of the electrical techs these days are "module replacers" and they don't understand the interrelationships between the modules and how to do a little bit of looking at the information to know what is wrong. Instead, they just replace modules per some book until the problem clears.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Xtypo, from the sounds of things, the ECU is loosing the battery power and this is causing the ECU to get reset every time that the car is turned off. This is where if you were to be able to get the car back and then connect up a code reader to the car and then go for say a 20 mile drive, you should be able to see the car reach the "P1111" status. Then if you turned off the car and it then is reset to P1000, that would confirm that problem.

Besides, the dealership should be able to connect up their computer and that will tell them specifically what portion of the self diagnostic is not passing/getting complete and that should give them a starting point. Then it can only be but so many parts. Unfortunately, a lot of the electrical techs these days are "module replacers" and they don't understand the interrelationships between the modules and how to do a little bit of looking at the information to know what is wrong. Instead, they just replace modules per some book until the problem clears.
Which code reader do you think is best for a jaguar xtype. I have smog issues on my 2007.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Read the following: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved ** - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum. This will give you tons of feedback on what others think about the various readers.

Me, personally. I am a fan of the "ELM 327". Because you have a 2007, you need the "V2.1" version of the reader. From there, you need an Android phone and a free app called "Torque" (can be gotten from most app stores). That will give you basic functions and keep things simple for you. yes, there are features that you will not be able to access like some of the other readers, but that is the difference between a $15 setup and a $150 setup. How much access to the car do you need. You can go as high as say $800 for a full SDD setup and that will give you access to every bit of the car. But at the same time, it also gives you that many more things to access and mess up something else.