X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glove box is stuck locked

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glove box is stuck locked

So, I was in the passengers seat today. I locked the glove box (I legit don't think the glove box has been locked in years- if ever). And, so I turned the key 90 degrees to the right to lock it (worked perfectly- still goes all the way). Then I tried to turn the key all the way to the left to unlock it, and it makes it probably around 70-75 degrees, and then just doesn't go anymore. It's stuck locked, and the latch is stiff and won't open.

Is there any way to get this fixed? Does it sound like the latch is broken, or the lock cylinder is broken? Or something else. I tried it gently, then a little bit more agressive. Then I just tried a bit of forcing. I didn't try too hard just in case it could've gotten worse. Could it be the spare key (I have another key fob that's unprogrammed- and it has a regular key attached to it for the ignition). I figure it's the same key I use every day since it locked just fine.

Anyone had this problem? Fixes? New glove box? Thanks for reading.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Try shooting in a little oil, and gently go back and forth with the key, while pushing the glovebox closed, so their isn't any pressure on the latch.....be cool....Mike

Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 PM

It eventually opened up the other day after just leaving it alone. I didn't think it would matter, but I went out there to try it, and instead of just using my regular key- I used my spare unprogrammed one and it opened. Turned all the way to the left no problem. I don't know if that was a designated key that worked on the glove box, or if it just 'let off' during the night. But, anyways. I don't lock it often, like I said. So, it's nice to have it resolved.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glove box locked

Same problem here. Being inquisitive, I locked the glove box with all car documents, including service book, inside. Now it won't open! tried WD40, no luck! I don't want to destroy the glove box, if at all possible. Locksmith says to get a new key cut as other key, only one I have (which locked it) may be worn. I have a new key but nervous about programming it, in case it goes wrong and I won't have any keys then!

Cheers

Alan

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by xtypeowner
I have a new key but nervous about programming it, in case it goes wrong and I won't have any keys then!
I don't believe the key has to be programmed to open the glove box. Get it open and you can then program all three keys.

See post #6 - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...key-ebay-3449/

Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Default Glovebox won't unlock

I replaced my glovebox door with one from a wrecking yard. Then I made the mistake of trying to lock it. Well it locks with my key. It just won't unlock now. I guess it's time for a visit to my local locksmith.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Several times on Jaguar / Ford forums, I have read Tibbe keys will lock other cars
a Google search will find some of the reports.

So beware Tibbe keys will LOCK other cars but of course will not unlock other cars.

Obviously do not try this on another car without the owner having his key(s) in their hand.