Sponsored by:

Good Stories

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Good Stories

Hey guys, we really need people to start posting interesting stories about owning an X-Type. Lately this list has seemed to be dominated with requests for help by people having difficulties with their cars. And, while that's all right, the list would be more entertaining if people told some tales about what they've experienced while driving their Jaguar (for instance I posted about competing in Autocross events in my car).

So, come on guys, can we liven things up a bit, please?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I was driving down from the mountains in the xtype when a deer jumped out in front of the car and I laid down two black stripes on the road

I feel like I constantly get lucky with the cops because of driving a car that always looks to be in control. I can't tell you how many times I've driven by a cop who has a speed trap set up going about 15mph over and I just wave and they wave back. In my Jeep, I get pulled over for anything and everything! I have passed a cop going about 110mph and he simply flashed his lights at me. I think this is not just because I am lucky, but because the Jag is a Jag and people who drive Jags are notoriously in-control of their vehicles.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I thought it was cool finding a 2002 x-type with only 29,000 miles on it in 2012. The thing drives like a dream. I did a front end alignment and the dream got better for only 350 bucks with four new tires balanced with 80k warranty. Not bad! I live in the sierra nevada's at 4000' and we get snow! So I was looking for a subaru or other awd, and came accross Jaguar awd. Old subaru's and honda's were 15k dollars with 100,000 k miles. I got this one for 1/2 that!

Now Im looking for tips preventative maintanance.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Good one!

Drain/refill the T-Case following the instructions posted elsewhere on this list. But beyond that you should be pretty much good to go.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I also live in the Sierra, but somewhat hight\er...Tahoe is at 6200 feet, my house is at 6750feet. The X_Type is wonderful. Had it since new..2003, and feel safe in the snow...we can get, before plowing over 10 feet at a time.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Is it wrong to take the Kitty for a 4x4 trip at 65 mph through the center median of a highway? That is what recently happened to me. After pulling a 12 hour shift at work, I was told that I was cut free and that I could go home (was on travel for work 400 miles from my true home). Well, I loaded up the kitty and started the 400 mile trip home. About 30 miles into the trip, a semi was coming on to the highway with a few cars behind it. Well, the last car decided that they wanted to get around the semi. Too bad I was just passing them in the left lane as they went to go around. A quick move of the steering wheel to the left, all 4 tires in the grass at 65 mph and I missed taking out a mini-van full of people. Needless to say, the rest of the trip, my eyes were wide open. Never did get a good look at the mini-van driver as they were keeping a lot of distance between me and them (probably fearful of what I would do after their stunt).

Granted, i have much better stories with my truck. Something about pulling a Volvo station wagon sideways on a highway with a young kid behind the wheel of the Volvo. I offered to tow him the rest of the way home, but he "politely" declined. I don't know why. LMAO.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
I was driving down from the mountains in the xtype when a deer jumped out in front of the car and I laid down two black stripes on the road

I feel like I constantly get lucky with the cops because of driving a car that always looks to be in control. I can't tell you how many times I've driven by a cop who has a speed trap set up going about 15mph over and I just wave and they wave back. In my Jeep, I get pulled over for anything and everything! I have passed a cop going about 110mph and he simply flashed his lights at me. I think this is not just because I am lucky, but because the Jag is a Jag and people who drive Jags are notoriously in-control of their vehicles.
I agree, I've been excessively speeding in this car and have passed by quite a few cops, but they never do anything. Part of the joy of driving this car is the stability it gives you even at high speeds, maybe the cops appreciate that and let us Jag owners enjoy our cars.

Compared to my '11 Camry which starts to feel scary over 70mph, there have been times when I'm comfortably cruising at 90mph but it feels as stable as 30mph. Highway acceleration is great too, I'll look over to adjust the temperature and find that when I look back I'm doing 15mph more than when I last looked.

One of my fondest memories (I've only had the car since last May) was driving it back from Greenwich, CT to Amherst, NY after I bought it. It was a beautiful summer drive with great scenery and the weather was fatastic. Even though my co-pilot backed out on the trip, I still had a great time just driving the car by myself.

That was also when I started to realize that this car attracts a lot of looks and that people think it's worth way more than it actually is.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>this car attracts a lot of looks and that people think it's worth way more than it actually is.

And that, my friends, is the true joy about owning an X-Type!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

haha I have another good one. Someone pulls up to me in an 07 audi a4 and starts to race me. I didn't even launch (i never do because I like my transfer case ) so of course he beats me. Then he asks me "how does it feel to get beat by an old *** audi." I took it as a compliment that he thinks my 6k jag would be better than his 20k audi. haha.

I still get the ladies in my 6k "POS" because it's a JAAAAAG haha

Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
haha I have another good one. Someone pulls up to me in an 07 audi a4 and starts to race me. I didn't even launch (i never do because I like my transfer case ) so of course he beats me. Then he asks me "how does it feel to get beat by an old *** audi." I took it as a compliment that he thinks my 6k jag would be better than his 20k audi. haha.

I still get the ladies in my 6k "POS" because it's a JAAAAAG haha

IV has similer on an audi a4 pull up at the lights lots of rev and such.

But i wasnt so kind the my transfer box and beat him made my day.

I like when i take it to the multi story car park and the guy comes running over askng if i want him to wash it. that never happened in my old nissan.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boobea
I also live in the Sierra, but somewhat hight\er...Tahoe is at 6200 feet, my house is at 6750feet. The X_Type is wonderful. Had it since new..2003, and feel safe in the snow...we can get, before plowing over 10 feet at a time.

Wow were withing an hour, I"m above p ville. We heard it was good in the snow, and at 1/2 the price of a subaru with 100k miles, It's nice to know you can have such quality to get you around safe.