Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handbrake mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake mechanism

Hi.
My 2009 X-Type diesel estate has just failed its MOT because the handbrake mechanism is too easily knocked off. The ratchet is not holding properly. My question is, will a Mondeo handbrake mechanism do the same job (I've been told this is a common problem on Mondeos)? Is it worth buying a second hand one or is this also likely to have the same issue? Just trying to find the cheapest (without being a false economy) way to fix it.
Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Suzanne, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information and people here. So, stick around and follow up on what is going on here. Lots to learn here to make your experience with the car a good one and one that doesn't drive you to the poor house. But, we also ask a small favor from you. Please stop by the New Member Section and tell us a little bit about you and your car. You will find that we are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know one another. This is what separates us from the other clubs you may find out there. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your hand brake issue, the Mondeo handbrake should slide right in. Granted, before you get going that far, I would see what a handbrake from another X-Type would run. I think you will find that the prices will be roughly the same and that way you can be garanteed to get the same color handle. I would also see if the handbrake simply needs a little bit of lubrication to allow the mechanism to move more freely and therefore, latch on to the locking tab. You are the first to have an issue like this that I am aware of.

Now, just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, you are saying that if you have the car parked and you hit the handbrake, it will fall down, releasing the e-brake? Correct? Normally the issue with our cars is the levers for the e-brake on the rear calipers will tend to freeze up. So, what ends up happening is the e-brake will be able to be pulled all the way up and if you are parked on any sort of hill, the car will still be able to roll and now you are relying on the tranny to hold the car in place. If the later is your problem, let me know. I have played with this issue a lot and have a few fixes that you can hopefully do for fairly cheap.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thermo,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum.
Yes, you're correct in that when I park up and apply the handbrake the ratchet isn't holding properly and the handle easily falls down.
I'll take a look at the New Memeber Section and thank you for your advice.