Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone swapped tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default has anyone swapped tweeters?

I have seen some audio post on here and I have deceided to urgrade my system. I will do some research first, and in doing so I thought about the tweeters in my door handels. I already have the factory tweeters there and thought should i bother swapping them out? does it make a differance? Has anyone changed these before? I am just worried there won't be enough room in there for the new tweeters. I was thinking about a component set. while I am in the subject I see some people use 5 1/4's and others use 6 1/2's for the door speakers... which one is correct? and are there any that will drop right in?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts
Default RE: has anyone swapped tweeters?

jvegas, according to crutchfield, the factory speakers are 6-3/4" midranges. So, you have to either select between a 6.5" speaker (should fit with no modification and no other pieces) or you can step down to 5.25" speakers, but then you will need an adapter plate to put on the speaker to allow it to be bolted to the door. As for the tweeters, there should be plenty of room to fit a 1" tweet in there. I don't have the upgraded stereo, so, I can't give you much more info than that. But, it sounds like the factory components are going to be on the larger end of things. So, fitting most of the aftermarket stuff in there should not be a problem.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. SO WELL WRITTEN. I AM THINKING ABOUT DOING SOME SOUND UPGRADES...DO YOU HAVE THE ALPINE SYSTEM? ITS JUST SO... NICE!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

pu5hkar, I do car stereo installs on the side. I like the idea of the factory nav system, but I am wanting more bass for in my car (since I only have the basic 4 speaker system). So, what I am looking into is finding an amp with line level inputs and then wiring up the output of the factory system to that and then running the amp to power all the speakers. The amp that I am really wanting to use is the Kicker 700.5 (80x4 W RMS and 350x1 W RMS sub) how I am wanting to run the amp. That would be more than enough sound for what I would need.

What are you looking for your setup? Are you more interested in price of the system, sound loudness of the system or sound quality? You can normally get 2 out of 3, but if you go for all 3, then you are looking at some serious bucks.

If you live in the Norfolk VA area, I would invite you over and we can do the stereo install right in my driveway. We can even build you a custom sub enclosure. Let me know what you are thinking and then we can go from there.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

P.S. My truck at one time had Karaoke inside of it. That was a lot of fun to have with small kids in the truck. Kept them entertained.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Didnt have seperate tweeters in mine but after hearing them in a premium car I decided toupgrade and add aFocal sub, 4x Focal tweetersand 4x Focal 6.5" mid rangespeakers including custom made tweeter pods on the inside of the door mirror trim to get the depth to the sound as if standing on stage and the band in front of you.The clarity, depth,rangeand kick in the *** bass even from the standard MY2004- premium OE amp at all volumes is fantastic.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_42905/tm.htm
Only problem with my set up is my car is a 2002 and I added a 2004- amp which is seperate to the sub unlike pre 2004 cars.I drove 700+ mile round trip to Devon yesterday to try and get the PECU error on the dash resolved caused by this with at forum member X-Daves, but after extensive testinghe is99% sure it needs a 2004- head unit to be able to communicate with the amp and speedo unit to turn off the error and not just the amp.
That problem aside the sound kicks ***.
Off now to buy Iron Maiden and Metallica to split my ear drums....

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

What power is in the factory (pre-2004) radios? I am curious. I am looking at upgrading, adding a sub (or two) and am curious what power needs I have to meet. Having the Nav indash, it kinda limits what the options are without doing a lot of conversion. Besides, I think the wife is getting hooked on the Nav, so, getting rid of it will cause problems. I just think the factory 4 speaker system needs a bit more low end. But, for a factory system, it sounds pretty good. But, I always love having more volume and tons of bass.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman