X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Assembly Electrical Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Assembly Electrical Connector?

I need to remove the headlight assemblies from my X-Type. The front bumper came off with no problem, but for some reason I can't get the electrical connector unplugged from the headlight housing. I know many electrical connectors have locking tabs, but I just don't see how to get this connector to release. Is there some trick to it?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

TIger, I am remembering this connector being a real PITA to get undone. What you need to do is to take a screw driver and stick it into the plug where it locks into the headlight housing. From there, you can push on the end of the screw driver so the tip pushes the clip away from the center of the headlight housing (as I recall, might be the other way). From there you will be able to pull out the plug.

As for the screw driver you will need, getting something like a jeweler's screw driver will be preferable. But, any small flat bladed screw driver should do the trick for you.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Thermo, thanks for the reply, but I just spent another 1/2 hour and still can't get that connector loose. I have a jewelers screwdriver and poked and prodded from every direction I can think of. No matter which direction I push it doesn't feel like anything is moving.

My X-Type is one if the first ones and does have some design differences from later models. This picture from JTIS shows the plug. On the left side mine has an open channel running down the side, but there doesn't seem to be any clip or anything inside the channel. At least, I can't feel anything move when I put a screwdriver down inside.

I have to get the housing out because I have a loose reflector flopping around inside. I'm about 20 minutes from just cutting the wiring harness and splicing in a connector of my own.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tiger, without seeing it, I can't be of much help. I know with the later style, I have a dickens of a time getting them off. Once you figure it out, it isn't too bad. I wish I could put my hands on it as I have to deal with connectors all the time and I am getting pretty good at figuring out how they are clipped together.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully you haven't cut the wires yet. Don't do it if not!!! lol... you will kick yourself if you do once you see how easy it is. I had the same issue.. and because as we all know the space is confined in there, it's hard to see where the locking portion of the tab is exactly the first time doing this. I was just hitting this same issue this weekend - wasted 30mins easily HA! - take a flat headed screw driver and in the same direction as the wiring harness connects to the headlamp assembly, put the screw driver head into the slot on the side of the connector (so that is to say the driver should be parallel, don't angle the screw driver perpendicular to the harness). Then angle the handle of the screw driver towards the wires (I think that direction it is the same for both side - towards the wires) and jiggle the connector with your other hand. It will come off fairly easily.

Don't use a small screw driver i.e jewelers as you won't get it to move enough. The bigger flat end moves the entire locking tab off.

Cheers!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Jagermeister, thanks for the response and clear description. The lamp assembly is still sitting on my work table, but even with plenty of light, easy access, choice of screwdrivers and your clear directions the plug still won't come out. I'm thinking that maybe the pins have fused from the heat or possibly corroded together. Today I'm heading off to the electronics store to get a 6 wire quick disconnect to put in where I cut the wires.

I was an appliance repair tech for 27 years, so repairing the wiring is not a problem. It seems it's always the little stuff that gets you.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead and cut it out. Just buy some plastic push pull connectors and replace them yourself. Simple.

cheap source:
Female Solder Cable Receptacle, Plastic Circular Push-Pull Electrical Connectors

Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you do as thermo said and oush a small screwdriver up the side of the clip that allows this then using a flat blade screwdriver work it in between the headlight housing and the plug and twist on the side of the plug that he screwdriver is in.
There is only one internal clip that holds the lug in place and it will pop off.
I do this most days when breaking the cars down for parts and its the only way to get them off without cutting the cables
dont be frightened to lever the clip it is the only way to get them off
hope it helps if youre still stuck i can post some pics
good luck