X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bulbs for 2003 X-type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight bulbs for 2003 X-type?

So I bought my X-type in November of 2010, but it is a 2003. One of the headlight bulbs recently burnt out. ANd I went to a auto store to get a new bulb, but it turns out it could be two different bulbs. One is $14, and the other is $97.

How can I tell which one mine has?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I would assume that you are trying to figure out if you have HID headlights or Halogen headlights. If you don't really understand the difference, a halogen bulb a simple filament bulb and an HID bulb is a bulb filled with gas that is illuminated when electricity passes through it. A halogen bulb will look yellow and HID bulbs will look white to bluish. Here's a picture to help you figure out what the difference looks like.
Name:  stockhalogenandhid2.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  20.8 KB
The car on the left has halogen bulbs and the car on the right has HID bulbs.
The auto parts store should not be charging $97 for an HID bulb, and I would try anther place because I have seen them normally for $40. Also, if you have HID's you will have to match your color temperature which should be about 5300k-6000k for stock headlights.

IMPORTANT! If you are going to be replacing the bulbs yourself you have to be CAREFUL!!!! (especially if you have HID bulbs) The headlight assemblies on these cars are extremely fragile and cost a fortune to replace, so DO NOT push too hard on the back of the assembly because you will break little pieces of plastic that will ruin your headlight assembly. Basically, the moral is to be extremely easy with it and use as little force as you can when replacing your headlights.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The 'A' pillar on the driver's side will have a 'sticker' with a notice about the car having HID headlamps if the car is equipped.
Normally the headlamps 'dip' and then rise when the HID headlamps are turned on.
If the lights just 'illuminate' then you probably just need H1 bulbs.
Just pull it out and LOOK at it.

bob gauff

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM

thanks you guys. Very helpful information, I will check both things. I appreciate it!!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Ok so it seems to be an H! bulb, as it is more yellow than blue in color, doesn't 'dip' and then rise when it is turned on, and there is no notice 'sticker' on the 'A' pillar. So I looked into removing it, but I am not sure exactly what to remove. It is the main headlight, not the secondary one. So if anyone has any details or verbal or pictorial description of how to change the headlight, I would love to see/read that.

Any links or info would be helpful.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

First you will have to take off the rubber cover off of the back of the headlight. Then you will see the back of the headlight assembly and grey twist connectors which are holding the headlight socket in place. Twist the connector (i believe counter clock-wise) and that should free up your socket. Then you will be able to see the bulb. Put a piece of cloth over the headlight and pull it out of the socket to remove it. Repeat these steps in reverse to install and make sure you don't touch the bulb with your hands because it will get oils from your hand on it which will cause it to fail prematurely.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by disguay
First you will have to take off the rubber cover off of the back of the headlight. Then you will see the back of the headlight assembly and grey twist connectors which are holding the headlight socket in place. Twist the connector (i believe counter clock-wise) and that should free up your socket. Then you will be able to see the bulb. Put a piece of cloth over the headlight and pull it out of the socket to remove it. Repeat these steps in reverse to install and make sure you don't touch the bulb with your hands because it will get oils from your hand on it which will cause it to fail prematurely.
Thank you!! Your description was a big help, and I successfully changed the bulb.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 35 Likes on 7 Posts

How do I make the quarter lights brighter or at least not make them look so dull and yellow