X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlights,and speakers...not related

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default headlights,and speakers...not related

everyone here has been so helpful in answeing my questions...so just wanna say its soo appreciated. My check engine light went away on its own...I was using non premium fuel(shame on me) and was told to run a can of seafoam and use only premium fuel...after 3 tanks....check engine light is gone.....but I am still gonna replace the IMT gaskets as a percaution.....I have just a couple more questions I could use some help on...

Can you manually adjust the headlights??...my pass side low beam seems to shining high and to the left...I know they are auto adjusting but is there a manual override??...I couldnt find one....

and what is the deal with the speakers in these cars??...I replaced the pass side front and rear.....2 weeks later the drivers side seem to go out...then back on if you turn it up...then the rear speakers are seeming to work when they want....any ideas??...upgrade ideas?? what have you guys done??

and last question for now...at just over 90k miles and no maint history...what do you guys suggest to do as maint.??...and can I use my flush machines at work for trans and coolant?? (I work for a Ford dealer)

I plan in doing the IMT rings and upper intake gaskets when I change my spark plugs...any other preventive maint ideas??

Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Black, as for your headlight issue, I would venture to guess that you are suffering from the dreaded broken headlight mountings. If you remove the cap off the back of the headlights, you can stick your hand inside, found the outer ring for the headlight assembly and if you watch the lenses on the outside of the car, you will see them move as you touch this ring. It is a common problem with this car. Unfortunately, the only fix to date is to buy another headlight assembly. Some members have made their own fix by removing the headlight assembly, dismantling it and then gluing things together at that point. It works for some, not for others.

As for maintenance, if you have the machines, definitely do the trans and engine coolant. It would be advisable to also do the transfer case (look on here, draining the fluid is easy, getting the fluid back in can be challenging unless you know the trick). Doing the rear differential would probably be advisable too. All these items are "sealed for life". I'm sure you have seen your fair share of problems resulting from this line of thinking. As for other problems, the normal plugs, filter, oil. I would also look at the serpentine belt for the car too.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Thermo, Im gonna do the belt along with the plugs and flush the rear diff and transfer case, Ive already done a fuel filter and injector flush....damn those headlights....wonder if my extended warr would cover the lights??....hmmm anyhoo....whats the deal with the speakers and whats a suitable replacement??

Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Black, when it comes to speakers, that is like asking what your favorite color is. We all have different opinions on this. What I would tell you to do is to go to a local stereo shop, pick a bunch of different brands and find a speaker in each brand that is very similar to the ones you are picking for the other manufacturers (base it on the price). From there, bring in your own CD and play all the speakers 1 at a time using the same radio and same CD. Listen to each speaker and see which sounds the best to you, the next best, the one after that. From there, pick the speaker that sounds the best and that should be the speaker you get for the front end. The speakers you liked the second best should go in the rear. What I have found is that by going with different brands, you will help split the sound up between the front and rear of the car and it will help with a surround sound type of sound. If you like your music all in front of you, then go with both front and rear speakers from the same manufacturer.

As for size of speaker, the factory speakers are 6.75" speakers. Finding this exact size is about next to impossible. But, there are tons of 6.5" speakers. They will fit in the hole with no modification. You can also go to 5.25" speakers, but then you are buying plates to fill in the gap and also you will be loosing a little bit in the low end unless you have the factory subs (even then, still loosing a little bit).

As long as you stick with a 4 ohm speaker, you will be fine. The outside of the box will tell you the resistance rating of the speaker.