X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater/ cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Heater/ cooling fan issue

Recently, as temps have started to drop, I've noticed my heater is taking longer and longer to heat up. Long after temp gauge has reached normal, it's still blowing cold air (10 miles or so) It finally starts to warm up, but doesn't continue. After a few minutes, it goes back to cold air again. Now I've noticed the last couple times I've shut it off, the cooling fans have continued to run at full speed. If I start the car back up, let it run a couple minutes, then shut it off again, the fans go off. Are these 2 issues connected? The heater problem sounds like a possible thermostat problem to me, but I'm not sure about the fans. I've read the threads about fan control modules, temp sensors, etc., but I'm not sure where to start.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Have you recently checked your coolant level. The x-type is a high velocity low volume system. When I lose heat i usually find I am a little low on coolant. The fans continuing to run may be due to level. Make sure the coolant tank is up to the full mark when cold.
If you have done any recent coolant changes you would need to burp the system to remove air pockets.
Have you done or had done any recent cooling system work?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Vern, that's apparently it. I just checked and the coolant overflow tank is bone dry. I just checked a few days ago and it was ok, but then I drove it on a 250 mile trip. So now I have to figure out where the coolant is going. I've never done any work on the cooling system. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Two places to start looking for leaks are teh cooling tank itself. It can split from age or also the nipple at the top can easily crack, especially if the hose clamp is facing upward towards the hood. If so, it can crack that nipple. Also maybe check water pump. They often start leaking before they give out.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on alfadude's suggestions. Another place to check is the upper radiator hose. The hose is a combination plastic pipe and rubber assembly they are no to craack at the top of the plastic tee that goes down to the thermostat housing. It will only leak at temp and pressure.
Take it for a vigorous drive and bring it home, shut it off and immediately open the hood and look for wet areas.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take out the undertray, and have a good look around for any signs of coolant, and check the condition of the bottom of radiator, they bow when they are getting older, and the foam weather strip hold on to the coolant for a while, until it drips on the ground.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 3.0 had a mystery water leak which I eventually traced to a hairline crack on the underside of the expansion tank.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:17 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I found some very small cracks on those little plastic nipples on top of the tank. The leak is very slow, though. After I filled it up yesterday, I drove around about 20 miles or so and the coolant hardly went down at all. I went ahead and ordered a new expansion tank though.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad to hear you are making progress in sorting things out. I would highly recommend that you perform or have performed a system pressure test once the new expansion tank is installed.
A pressure test will reveal any other small cracks or leaks and will assure you of system dependability.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:38 AM

I'm glad to hear you are making progress in sorting things out. I would highly recommend that you perform or have performed a system pressure test once the new expansion tank is installed.
A pressure test will reveal any other small cracks or leaks and will assure you of system dependability.

Thanks Vern, I'll do that.