X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater delete.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Heater delete.

All my heater hoses need replacement (bulging). The 2 parallel longer ones that head back under the firewall look like a huge pain.

I don't need the heater. If it's bypassed with a short length of hose do you guys think it'll cause isues?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lubrication, it should not cause any issues. The heater system has coolant flowing through it all the time. So, as long as you replace it with a similar size hose, you should be good. If anything. I would try putting a slight restriction in it (say half the hose diameter). This will accomplish 2 things. The first being that you are adding back in the flow restriction that would be seen from the heater core and the length of hose. The second being that by reducing the flow to the heater core, you are going to provide more flow to the engine block, helping to maintain it properly cooled.

With this being said, you don't want to completely block off the coolant flow to the heater core as the system was designed around having a certain amount of flow going to the heater core and you can actually push the water through the engine block too fast and that will not give the water sufficient time to remove the heat from the block, leading to an overheating of the engine.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Thermo said -- "With this being said, you don't want to completely block off the coolant flow to the heater core as the system was designed around having a certain amount of flow going to the heater core and you can actually push the water through the engine block too fast and that will not give the water sufficient time to remove the heat from the block, leading to an overheating of the engine."

I see, so can't just slap in a bypass hose and be done with it. I'd hate to screw up my engine by doing a bypass improperly.

I'd actually like to just replace the heater core hoses, but man are they a pain! Have you ever replaced them yourself?

Last edited by Lubrication; 07-03-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lubrication, I never had the joy of doing the heater core hoses on my X-Type. I did them on my Ford Expedition. it isn't quite as bad as you would think. The best advice that I can give you is to remove the intake to give yourself more room to reach down between the engine and the firewall. I would also say to create some sort of board or padded plate that you can place over the engine to allow you to lay on the engine so you are not killing your back as you are trying to get elbow/shoulder deep in the engine bay.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a crack soon. I really didn't want the intake off again, so if I can do it without removing it, I'll certainly share. Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Cut and measure your new hoses. Drain the cooling system. Disconnect the small hoses at the coolant tank. Remove the clamps.
Use a brass or plastic hose union of the same diameter, and wrap the hose ends with electrical tape so they don't slide apart.
Go to the other side of the engine, disconnect the hose, and slowly pull the old hose out.
The new hose will follow it right through the guides.
Remove the electrical tape, and separate the new hose from the old.
Put the clamps on the new hose, and attach them to the appropriate nipples.
Enjoy a cold brew.

The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (09-24-2016)