X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater not working in my xtype

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater not working in my xtype

The heater on my 2002 xtype just stopped working. The fuse blows when it is replaced time after time. The fuse is used for the air con, the electric mirrors, and for the battery backup unit (or similar)I think the problem may be the latter, but I am unsure what this is used for. Can anyone help?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Gary, can you please tell me what fuse keeps blowing. I would like to help you get to the end of this. Just not sure what fuse you are talking about as I don't see a common fuse in the diagrams for what you are experiencing.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Gary, can you please tell me what fuse keeps blowing. I would like to help you get to the end of this. Just not sure what fuse you are talking about as I don't see a common fuse in the diagrams for what you are experiencing.
The fuse is in slot 67. The third item it looks after is the battery backup sounder. I think this has to do with the alarm system sounder, but I am not sure. Since I first posted I have Disconnected the battery backup sounder and the heater started working again. Question is what have I actually disconnected?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

Gary, by chance, are you talking about the plug that goes into the back side of the battery box? If so, that should be disconnected. that is only used from the factory to the dealership. After that, it remains disconnected (it is a battery tender connection for when it is on a ship being transported around the world).

The "Sounder" that you are referring to is part of the security system. When you cause the car to think it is being broken into, it turns on a horn under the hood of the car. is that what you disconnected? It should have a little cone associated with it.

If you could, take a picture of what you disconnected and then we will be able to tell you exactly what you disconnected.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM

Gary, by chance, are you talking about the plug that goes into the back side of the battery box? If so, that should be disconnected. that is only used from the factory to the dealership. After that, it remains disconnected (it is a battery tender connection for when it is on a ship being transported around the world).

The "Sounder" that you are referring to is part of the security system. When you cause the car to think it is being broken into, it turns on a horn under the hood of the car. is that what you disconnected? It should have ia little cone associated with it.

If you could, take a picture of what you disconnected and then we will be able to tell you exactly what you disconnected.
Sorry thermo, don't mean to ignore you, just been snowed in here so have not been able to get a picture. Theechanism I am talking about is situated by the left fog. I must admit that I did not do this myself, a friend actually disconnected the battery backup sounder, but the heater is working now consistently.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran member

Gary, do not worry about it. Life comes first, then the computer. I get a little busy myself between work, life, and my second job. So, enjoy life. You only have 1 shot at it.

As for the sounder, personally, if that is all that was causing the problem, then I would call it good and move on. If you can get your hands on another one, then fine. Otherwise, if someone wants your car, they are going to get it. That horn is not going to stop them.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM

Gary, do not worry about it. Life comes first, then the computer. I get a little busy myself between work, life, and my second job. So, enjoy life. You only have 1 shot at it.

As for the sounder, personally, if that is all that was causing the problem, then I would call it good and move on. If you can get your hands on another one, then fine. Otherwise, if someone wants your car, they are going to get it. That horn is not going to stop them.
A truer word never spoken. Thanks thermo, your help is appreciated.
On another note, I am currently in the middle of the good old misfire issue. I have seen your comments on most. The misfire occurred on cylinder 5. I swapped the coil with cylinder 2, and the misfire followed. Great, I replaced the coil. Ran the car this morning but it still misfired, but I have no errors logged. It was a definite misfire at about 80 mph, flashing warning light, reduced acceleration, but no codes. Any ideas?