Sponsored by:

Heating/Cooling console removal question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Heating/Cooling console removal question

Hello forum,

I removed the A/C panel to get to the stereo, then -

After reinstalling the A/C control panel the car wont start. I'm pretty sure I need to reset a security code but my question is, is there some double-secret detail I won't find easily?

I think the two (white and black) electrical plugs are properly fit back into the back of the panel. The battery is fine but the panel unit doesn't come on and the starter doesn't engage.

Ill check the fuse box, too.

(Its painful but I am learning.)

Thanks for any direction..

Last edited by Jag4; 04-10-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Include some initial research
Old 04-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I can.t imagine why the AC control panel would prevent starting. Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to redo the steps for accessing the radio. Behind the panel you may have inadvertently dislodged a plug, pinched a wire or even broken one. I would also check the plugs you are sure are connected correctly and make sure there isn't a bent pin or lose connection.
The AC panel may be a part of the CAN BUS and either one of the connectors might be causing a problem. My bet would be on a inadvertent displacement of a connector.

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Did you leave the stereo disconnnected? If so, I believe there is something in the security system that prevents the car from starting if it is not connected. If you do a search on here you could find the specifics I'm sure.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

This problem appears to be related to connecting the climate control correctly.
See this link and my others links in post #4
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblem-177877/

Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue when I replaced my stereo - I thought for sure I was in Trouble ! But once I double checked and reconnected everything (including Hazards etc) It started right up. Double check your connections If you haven't already

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Did you leave the stereo disconnnected? If so, I believe there is something in the security system that prevents the car from starting if it is not connected. If you do a search on here you could find the specifics I'm sure.
Alfadude: I thought about this since I did replace the stereo before disconnecting and reconnecting the AC panel. I have the old stereo... doesn't make sense but something to consider.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
I can.t imagine why the AC control panel would prevent starting. Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to redo the steps for accessing the radio. Behind the panel you may have inadvertently dislodged a plug, pinched a wire or even broken one. I would also check the plugs you are sure are connected correctly and make sure there isn't a bent pin or lose connection.
The AC panel may be a part of the CAN BUS and either one of the connectors might be causing a problem. My bet would be on a inadvertent displacement of a connector.
Hi avern1: Thanks for the tip! I just rechecked the three (3) male plugs which lock into the back of the panel. Two (2) male plugs (wht./blk.) lock into the back of the AC panel and one (1) hazard plug - all appear to be fine. I'm used to checking bent pins on circuit boards - not fun. (I know it's something simple and it's sure to be embarrassing.)

I'm getting the following fault codes:
  • P1638 CAN data bus, ECM/instrumentation control module – network malfunction- Per Jaguar Forums
  • P1699 Not listed in the Jaguar forums

P1638 seems to make your point. The hunt continues...

Last edited by Jag4; 04-11-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Additional detail.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Default RESOLVED

These A/C plugs have a simple locking mechanism which, if not plugged back in the right way, will not allow the car to start.

So, when plugging in the A/C panel unit snap the plastic swivel (terminology?), located on the back of the plug, all the way to the left before you plug it back into the A/C unit. Then snap right to lock it back in. Hope that helps some poor soul in the future.

After doing this, all good! Car started right up! (Can you say, NOT intuitive?)