X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help buying a Jag

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help buying a Jag

Hey im looking to buy an 02 or 03 jag x-type, I am a car enthusiast previously owning an evo although i dont know much about Jaguars. Are there common issues or things I should look for when buying one, most are going to have between 80 and 100k and i am not sure if there is anything that usually gets done to these around this mileage. any info will help or if any of you have one for sale let me know around the vt nh area.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 AM

ive had my tranny problems and do not want anything to do with any more haha, when i previously bought my evo it was march, in july it went in the shop till november and 7k later the tranny and much more were fixed so i want to stay away from all of that, and I would think a manual might have more issues, poor drivers?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM

I'm in a similar boat as you, looking at getting an X-type. From some searching around you'll find pretty quick that if you go for AWD, the transfer cases are apparently the weak point in the driveline. As I understand it the cases can crack from repeated stress if you drive them hard. Since you say you had an Evo, my inclination is that you might be wanting an AWD and you may like to drive hard. I have a recent thread asking for input and advice, might want to check out some of what these guys said in it, it's been helpful to me. The title is Considering and 03 x-type.

I'll let the owners correct me if I'm wrong on anything I said.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Clone
I'm in a similar boat as you, looking at getting an X-type. From some searching around you'll find pretty quick that if you go for AWD, the transfer cases are apparently the weak point in the driveline. As I understand it the cases can crack from repeated stress if you drive them hard. Since you say you had an Evo, my inclination is that you might be wanting an AWD and you may like to drive hard. I have a recent thread asking for input and advice, might want to check out some of what these guys said in it, it's been helpful to me. The title is Considering and 03 x-type.

I'll let the owners correct me if I'm wrong on anything I said.
Just to clear up the misconceptions on the AWD. The transfer case is only a weak link if you plan on building a 1/4 mile racer. If you are looking for a muscle car an X-Type is off your list. There were a few issues with pre 04 models but as an 04 owner it is a fairly reliable car. DO THE REQUIRED MAINTENANCE!!
After the car reaches a certain age and it varies I've noticed from region to region you develope vacuum leaks that sets off multiple CEL. Also the TCM (tranny control module) does not like getting wet so some cars over time lose the seal on the bottom of the windshield or where the emergency brake passes through the firewall and moisture gets in and trips a gearbox fault. The TCM is a 1000.00+ part so try to avoid that. Other than that they are a fun reliable car that corners like it's on rails and goes between lights pretty fast. I have an Auto but the manual is more fun if you like shifting gears (I don't). Sport models have low profile 18s and a far stiffer suspension so you might want to find one of those if that's your style. Mine is a sport and I do mean stiffer suspension. Heavier bolstering on the seats too. The stereo is adequate, comes in a few flavours, you can get a Nav touch screen in standard and premium and a non nav screen in both flavours, Premium adds an Alpine amp and tweeters in all the doors and a pretty good sub. In 05 they added bluetooth as an option, and I think some 04 have it but none I've seen.