X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Carbon fiber ashtray trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Carbon fiber ashtray trim removal

Hi, im having a bit of a frustrating time trying to fix the ashtray on my x-type. I had accidentally broken the lid that opens and closes while installing a headunit so I decided to just buy one off of eBay, the problem is carbon fiber parts are really hard to come by so I ended up getting a wood version thinking I would just replace the trim. Then after an hour or so of fiddling with it I snapped it half. Ended getting another one but I’m really scared to touch it.

My question is how do I remove the trim from the lid without damaging the brittle plastic?

Last edited by Freddy Stroman; 01-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Freddy
well yes I actually broke the tray swivel or clip when putting the ashtray unit back in the car. I bought another whole unit from Ebay like yourself. Having then the chance to learn how to prise off the veneer cover at my leisure.
It is done by locating the area of the four retaining/fixed clips then with a very thin screwdriver gently (Gently) prise them away from the retaining black plastic backing plate. You can do this behind the veneer cover plate at the clips themselves or from the front using a very thin pocket knife blade. Whatever way you look at it patience and care are needed my friend.
I did this because the new unit veneer was not exact to my colour scheme so I removed both veneers and swapped out the new unit with the old veneer - which means I now have a spare veneer front - yours for free should you need it. If so my email is raydavidclark@gmail.com and I will send to any address you give.
regards and careful prising Freddy.

Ray