X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, double heat shield by firewall interfere cannot use car

Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP, double heat shield by firewall interfere cannot use car

front piece of heat shield with 2 holes and middle concavity

back piece of heat shield with central screw showing clearly that there is no place behind it for the second heat shield
Hello and Help! I desperately tried to replace the Bank 1 oxygen sensors and I got stuck with not being able to remove any of the two sensors. I give up and I will try to convince a mechanic to do this (they don't want to work on my Jaguar in this rural area but unfortunately I cannot put back the heat shield that is made of two overlapping pieces with the downstream oxygen sensor in between. As you can see from the pictures, the front piece cannot be screwed back in its two holes (at least one as grace to some smart mechanics in Mona's past the right hole is bigger than the screws top). This piece with two holes cannot go back as the back piece has a center screw itself and it cannot go in front as it cannot reach the places of the screws location behind the back piece. Now I cannot put the sensor wires themselves as well. Kindly tell me how these two pieces of the heat shield go, which one is in front of which one and where go the wires of the downstream sensor. I cannot get out, not only to go to a mechanic but anywhere. I got stuck myself in the woods. HELP.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 PM

ADDITIONALLY, AND THE WORST OF ALL, THE REAR PIECE IS HIGHER THAN THE HOLES OF THE FRONT PIECE TO REACH THE HOLES BEHIND IT! What can I do? to cut or bend completely the rear piece under the holes so that the screws from the front piece be able to reach the holes behind? Thank you so much for your so much needed help.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

After all the posts and guidance given you on procedure, why would you take it upon yourself to ignore it, then futz with the shield in the first place?
You reap what you sow.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 PM

Thank you for your clear information. Sorry for bothering you. I promise not to bother you again.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

marcela: The heat shields are held in position by multiple small bolts, so when 1 or 2 bolts detach, the heat shield may make some rattling or buzzing noises, but the engine will run and you can drive a few miles to a mechanic to replace the oxygen sensor and better secure the heat shield.

The following users liked this post:
marcela (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 PM

Thank you, Sir. But, to New York? I make regular round trips though not daily PA-NY. The horrible weather in our NE US area with torrential heavy rains for whole weeks doesn't let me afford any trip related risk. Can I make such a trip this week before having the sensors replaced and with that front thin* shield (the back is stronger) not solidly fixed maybe hitting the sensor's wire? Thank you, Sir, I hope I didn't bother you as I bothered Mister Gailey. If I did, I apologize.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Not a bother, I just find it amusing for anyone to ask so many questions and then ignore guidance given. Like my foreign neighbor who literally dis assembled most of the front components of his Dodge van to replace an ALTERNATOR, lmao. Took 10 minutes to remove the alternator, install the new one and then 4 hours putting everything else back together. What possesses people to undo stuff that has nothing to do with what they are working to fix?

Old 07-22-2018, 11:34 PM

marcela: The oxygen sensors wires usually have a protective covering which you can slide away from the electrical connector, towards the sensor, until it completely covers the wires at the sensor. Do this to protect those wires from being rubbed by the heat shield.

If the heat shield is very loose, you can secure it temporarily with a piece of stiff wire, for example, from a metal clothes hanger. You can use wire cutters or pliers to cut the metal clothes hanger, and pliers to bend it into a shape that holds the heat shield from vibrating. A short piece of stiff wire is usually all it takes to hold the heat shield in position until a mechanic can better secure it.

marcela (07-23-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:29 PM

DW, the mystery of the nasty interfering with each other heat shields over the downstream O2 sensor was resolved and has nothing to do with my "futz"ing (?) with the shields as this is the way some smart mechanic did clamping them together. I was told by another mechanic whom I saw today that the shields should be separated, one (the back one) screwed on the wall and the other (the front one) screwed to the manifold. Once separated, they made sense and opened a very easy access to the downstream sensor. So both sensors are now replaced, let's see if this helps with the MIL which never came back during my back and forth trips (not yet to NY).
However I have now a problem which has nothing to do with the sensors or shields and probably I am not allowed to post it in this thread, can I give you a quick call?
Thanks for everything

Old 07-25-2018, 09:12 PM

Marcella: Good that both downstream sensors have been replaced and the MIL is now off. If the MIL stays off, then the catalytic converters are ok.

marcela (07-26-2018)