Sponsored by:

Help...error message on speedo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Help...error message on speedo

Hello,
I have an error message on the (non message centre type) speedo.
When the ignition is switched to the first position the trip and mileage reads as normal.
As soon as the engine is started this mileage info disappears and an error flashes.
The error says PECU on the top line then under that is ----b .
This PECU message alternates with the words ERR .
This happened since fitting a Jag amp off ebay and a custom made wiring harness to upgrade to premium soundprofessionallymanufactured and tested.
The amp and everyting else with the audio upgrade work fine apart from the error message.
When the amp is disconnected and the original fibre optic lead replaced the error disappears.
Is there any way to stop/resetthe flashing error message?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts
Default RE: Help...error message on speedo

Buck, I suspect the module can be reprogrammed to clear that error, but I am a DIY guy not a Jag technician. If you are prepared to be without any sound for a few days (or just remove the stereo and unplug the new harness link) then ship the amp down to me and I can try connecting it to my X-Type and see if I can clear it through IDS. That assumes it is a result of some security/removal sensing on the amp itself. I have had a look on mine and can't see any option to code it to a specific vehicle, but it is possible that reflashing the software would clear it.

I've seen PECUS errors with telephone modules before, but this is the first I've seen with the amps. Do you know what model and year car the amp was originally fitted to?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Pecus B is an Audio Unit configuration fault. You need Audio unit and Amplifier programmed to vehicle. It reads and uploads your Vin from ECM and IPK. Sorry Buck but that is one trip to dealer you will have to make.
They should charge you no more than 0.5 hours.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

FJT, any idea why this has not been necessary on around a dozen other, almost identical, retro fits of second hand amps into pre and post 2004MY cars? They have been fitted to cars both with and without the touch screen controls, and to date all have had factory CD changers pre-programmed to the audio units (non navi as necessary).

I've seen an audio unit itself produce a PECUS error after it was unplugged from one car, without disconnecting the battery, and then reconnected to another. I was told this was part of the security system to stop them being nicked without disconnecting the power first -- is there any truth in that?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the good info.
The car is due its service end of next month so will get it done then or maybe they will do it when I go to Jag HQ at Birimngham,UK for the X Type seminar at the end of March as they are plugging in owners cars to read faultcodes on their diagnostic machine.

One other problem I noticed today sometimes (at random) the sound stops all of a sudden(whether playing at low levels or high levels even for just a short time),the Tape/CDC buttons do not work and the premium menustops appearing on the headunit (SUB/POS).
Then all of a sudden somtimes minutes later the sound comes back and all the menus start working again.When the sound goes off I can still change radio channels but no sound?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like the amp maybe bad. If you bought it used, was probably taken out for a reason.
However, it may just be that it needs programmd. If you did not have premium sound before, the amp knows it is there, so does radio, but radio will get confused as not programmed for amp. Easy fix. If the amp is bad, if you replace it again after you have had audio unit programmed for premium, you may be able to plug and play amp if you're lucky.

As for others being able to plug and play, just luck or audio was configured at one time for premium.
Some markets are configured for antitheft and some arent. US spec is normally turned to off.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

AFAIK the seller on ebay has sold a number of amps and no one else has had the problem that I have heard of with the upgrade from base stereo to premium.
I think they are probably from cars that get broken for parts.
I'll see what the dealer says.