X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick an engine!!!!! Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me pick an engine!!!!! Please!!!!

Hey guys, ive been searchin high and low for engines to replace the jacked one thats in it now. Ive come across 3 engines that i am on the verge of buying but not sure which.

Heres what i have....2002 X-TYPE SPORT AUTOMATIC
Heres what i found...

Engine #1
36000 miles
Ran in vehicle, witnessed it. 30 day warranty. ( car looked ok, hit from front but no cframe damage)
$1700 bucks.

Engine #2
14000 miles
Ran in vehicle tested great. 1 year warranty. (really low miles for year, sometimes bad for fluids)
$2000 bucks.

Engine #3
Tested great. 1 year warranty ( real low miles but older so maybe hasnt sat as long)
$2000 bucks.

One thing ive heard is to make sure you use the ECM out of a the same year the engine came out of. Just in case of different firmware installed over the years. Which i dont understand, cuz my computer would just tell it to do what it normally would wouldnt it? All the same mechanicly right? Any info from you guys would help me feel confident on my decision

Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 10-14-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM

I know this seems somewhat easy to choose right? Simply go with the less miles. But as ive seen happen with vehicles with extremely low miles is that the car sits and fluids break down. Then start up and next thing ya know your wearing piston rings. Hoses and etc get dry rot or crack. Is there any truth to this or am i just bein to skeptical? Id love to pick up a 14-17k engine but just want some input on what you guys think. If you were stuck on these 3 engines what would you go with?

Plenty of veiws but no opinions!! lol. Just chime in with a yay or nay!!! You guys know how it is, its just nice to have people on your side givin you the go ahead. Let me know hat ya think.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Hoses plastic etc and gonna be bad the older the engine regardless of mileage. Go with #3 and keep some of your stuff on yours if better condition

Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you looked at any of the Lincoln engines? There's a member on here that swapped out his for an LS engine and it cost 1/10 the prices your showing... Something to think about. Unfortunately I can't find the thread right this second, I thought it was one of my subscribed threads but it's not listed.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes I also remember this ^

Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM

See this is exactly why i ask for opinions. lol. Most of my posts may seem cut and dry but with so many people with experience you find easier ways. I was a little skeptical when you mention the Lincoln LS engine and as i literally just did a search on ebay, mainly for a visual reference, it does seem to be exactly the same. Obviously intake and some components are different and i could just use mine. I found a totaly remanufactured 3.0 v6 from a Lincoln LS for $1695.

Now im at a delimma. LOL. Well ill do more research and if the guy decides to sell the local one before i make a decision so be it. Just want the best for my Jag, and more importantly....ME. LOL

Thanks guys...if someone can find that post that would be greatly helpful as they may know what needs to be swapped.

Thanks again guys!!!

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 10-15-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 AM

And also does anyone know what year Lincoln LS engines work? Is it just a base 3.0 V6 standard and just use my other parts? Thanks.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:53 PM

So i called my local guy that has the engine i was goin to buy. And told him about the possibilty of the Lincoln LS engine. He was like "what"? I told him yea, im pretty sure its the same engine minus the components like intake and stuff but as a base long block. He said im pretty sure they are a little different. And proceeded to do a cross reference and compatibilty check. He said first off, the heads are different, and secondly the oil pan is different. Also told me he wouldnt even be sure on fitment issues of goin where this one went and what not. Bellhousing lineup and so forth. So idk what the deal is but he said you can buy the engine from whoever you want he didnt want to see me jump into something like that. Not mention i noticed a horsepower difference between the two. 210 vs. 231?? Maybe some truth in the heads?

Ok, i understand this guy may tell me what i wanna hear to get a sale. I really dont think hes hurtin. I saw the car this engine is comin out of and to me looked like a frekakin easy fix. Which he told me he doesnt care if i want it as they are actually thinkin of fixin it and sellin it. I told him with a salvage title it wont be worth as much than parting it out. There is a lot on this car worth selling. Anywho...i would just like some hardcore confermation if anyone wanted to take the time. Otherwise i may go in tomorrow or monday to drop a deposit.

I will still replace some stuff on this engine while its out like....

Spark plugs
IMT o-rings
Oil pan gasket
Check hoses
Check exhaust

Didnt see any oil leaks from pan or front main so ill check more closely before i pick it up. Please let me know anything else that would be good to check.

Thanks fellas

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 10-15-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 PM

I found the Lincoln LS swap thread....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34228

Veeeery interesting as this is what i was wondering. Sure enough quite a few things needed replacing.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Ok fellas, i love answering in my own thread. Talkin to myself really. LOL
After reading the post over again and checkin on some Lincoln LS engines from 2003+ (as they have the same HP rating and is what he used to do the swap) i am extremely gitty about doin this. He also pulled the engine from THE TOP!! Which i like a lot better than bein under a car that high with jackstands or some sketchy suspension deal. I have found about 4 engines that i think are worthy of the transformation into the Jag. All under 50k miles. I have my buddy to help me make the changes and make sure everything looks good for install.

The things that need changing arent that hard at all. Plus i get to look inside the engine a little see poke around. I get the oil pan gasket out of the way and i get to check the timing out and check the chains to be tight. All crazy headache jobs on this sight that ive read. Chain slap and whatnot. So i will keep anyone who is curious to know if this is goin to be the "norm" for when their kittys take a crap.

Would just like to take this time to say thank you to *****-K for makin this happen. You are saving me...well lets do the math...

$1700 for Jag engine
$850 for install
- $700 for Lincoln LS engine
= $1850 dollar savings for doin it myself with Lincoln LS

*****-K........Cheers!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Sorry....I would also like to thank CHKNHWK for actually introducing the idea in the first place!!!!! Never would have got this far. Thanks a crap load man!!!!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got more nerve than I have if you're going to do the LS motor.

Make sure you post up your progress with lots of pics. I'm gonna watch this one.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:27 PM

No doubt. Seems pretty cut and dry. Although id like to get a hold of wiggy to ask some questions but doesnt seem as if hes on much. Goin to use his thread to help me though it. Once i get the engine out it should be downhill from there

Old 10-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome! Good luck man!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Good luck on your project.

Although I'm curious as to why you would take up the LS switch yourself but not the direct Jaguar engine swap yourself?

Old 10-18-2010, 02:48 PM

The Chris X.....

Well after doin the research on it and finding how much money i could save sparked a flame on my ***, ya know. Ive been pretty down about it and honestly just didnt want to mess with it. And to be honest im still askin favors from friends to see if there is someone that could do the actually engine swap for me for less than $850 i was quoted from a local shop. I did however, today, get a call back from a friend of a friend that is willing to do the engine swap for $600. Says its a total pain in the *** but as a favor he would do it. So i will let him, obviously. LOL

I was goin to tackle it too just cuz Wiggy pulled it from the top. Sounded and looked a lot easier also. Although with the LS engine im still goin to go through with my buddy to make the parts swap on it so he can put it in. And while im doin that check out everything and change the front main seal and oil pan gasket. Plus swap over my new plugs i had just put it too.

Overall im lookin at about $1400 to do eveything. Extremly happy about that

Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also on the hunt for a 3.0L. Mine had a knock so out it came and sitting quitely in the corner of my garage now I am going over all the posibilies. It seems basically any Ford Duratec 3.0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine from same time period will work. I am still undecided but hope this sheds a little light on what "could be".

Nathan

Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
The Chris X.....

Well after doin the research on it and finding how much money i could save sparked a flame on my ***, ya know. Ive been pretty down about it and honestly just didnt want to mess with it. And to be honest im still askin favors from friends to see if there is someone that could do the actually engine swap for me for less than $850 i was quoted from a local shop. I did however, today, get a call back from a friend of a friend that is willing to do the engine swap for $600. Says its a total pain in the *** but as a favor he would do it. So i will let him, obviously. LOL

I was goin to tackle it too just cuz Wiggy pulled it from the top. Sounded and looked a lot easier also. Although with the LS engine im still goin to go through with my buddy to make the parts swap on it so he can put it in. And while im doin that check out everything and change the front main seal and oil pan gasket. Plus swap over my new plugs i had just put it too.

Overall im lookin at about $1400 to do eveything. Extremly happy about that
Cool - sounds like a great learning experience. Hopefully things go smooth for you, I'm sure they will. I've plied my friends with beer and pizza on many occasions to help with major work on my Jeeps in the past, it's good to have the help!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All the best

My Jag 2002 X-type manual was making a lot of noise as well, and mechanics are asking for 18 hrs of labor + engine cost + fluids etc and I am looking at north of 4 K. Deciding now what options I have to dispose of the car - sell it on craigslist, donate it or ..?

all the best with your install though and hope it goes fine.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Crash and Pseudo.......

Well i wouldnt think of selling my X just yet. After all the BS ive gone through so far. I would seriously look at the route im taking before you make a decision of spending 4k. This is what my plan is and will be carried out this week....

Found a few engines locally and others as well and if interested pm me or just reply but this is what im doin, feel free to follow.....

Bought a 2004 Lincoln LS engine complete with 44000 miles. Its from a a running vehicle and carfaxed. He is also givin me a 4 month warranty on parts. (internal of course). When i receive the engine i will swap over all the necessary componants. ( see the link i posted of *****-k ). Mind you, this is the 2003+ engine! I noticed changes in previous years from the Lincoln plus HP and Torque!!! You actually get a little more with this engine....231 hp and 220 torque . Then while makin the swaps i will replace the oil pan gasket and carefully inspect the bottom end and timing chain area for anything that may cause a problem. Then reinstall. My buddy is doin it for $600 bucks. That may not be your case. I had a quote from a local shop of $850. So please man LOOK AROUND!!!! You can go my route and spend $1500-2000!!!!!! My whole swap should take a couple weeks top im guessing. And i will post how it went and feel free to use me as a test rat. *****-K did it, why cant I ?? LOL

Quick Reply: Help me pick an engine!!!!! Please!!!!