X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my door panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with my door panel

I have a 2005 X-Type. The rear passenger door inside panel is now a bit lose, and this causes some problems when I close the rear passenger door. In other words, it requires a bit more force to close properly. And even when the door is fully closed, from the outside, the door and the back body panel is not very smooth. Someone please let me know if there is something I can do to fix this myself. I assume the dealer would charge a lot to even take a look.

For example, is there a easy way to figure out why the panel inside the door is lose?

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Bill, the inside door panel is held in place via some friction clips (think of a thin rod with hair sticking out to the sides which then slides into a hole which the fingers grab on to the hole and prevent it from sliding back out). Odds are, your door has taken a good hit at some point (or a careless technician that did work inside of the door) and some of those friction clips have broken off of their tabs (or the tabs to the door panel are broke). If it is the friction clips, you can buy new ones and replace the broken ones. If the tabs are broken, then you will need to pull off the door panel and using some epoxy, glue the broken tabs back into place. A new door panel is going to be pricey.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply! But how do I properly take it off to figure out the problem without causing further damages?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Bill, all you can do is take a thin item and get it between the steel door shell and the door cover (sometimes you can simply slide your fingers in there). Then pull straight out towards you. If you start angling the door panel, that is when you tend to bust the clips/mounts. Also, don't give a quick jerk, give more of a steadily increasing pulling effort. The quick jerks tend to break the mounts. Even with the best of intentions, you may still break a clip or two. That is just how they are designed.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks alot for that, I will try!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bill586
Someone please let me know if there is something I can do to fix this myself. I assume the dealer would charge a lot to even take a look.

For example, is there a easy way to figure out why the panel inside the door is lose?

Thanks.
The FAQ section at the top of the X Type forum has loads of useful info
This is one of them
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/step-step-door-panel-removal-954/

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks again, you people are very helpful.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

bill, this is very much a give and take forum. Play with your car, learn more about it and as you learn more, feed back to those that may have questions. The only way we all get better is through one person learning and passing on the information.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

And don't forget to remove the 2 screws holding the door on before you give it a yank. One behind a little cover near the handle and one recessed in the bottom edge of the panel.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, there are so many helpful posters here-- saved me hundreds already.

anyway, these clips are fragile, one has broken off on the driver's side door just from opening and closing. I want to change the speakers in the doors but haven't yet because I don't want to break anymore clips.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't be scared. You break a clip you break a clip, not a big deal. They can be had at the dealer (although a little pricey) and you may be able to find one at a parts store or online if you took one out for comparison. I think I have a broken clip in probably every door and I don't have any problems with squeaks or rattles or anything with the doors. Although which clip breaks may have something to do with that. My front door panels have been off half a dozen times each at least. Sometimes a clip is not really broken but just fell out of the holder, or the holder is cracked. A little glue or silicone can do the trick.

I threw in a set of Kicker door speakers last fall and obviously had to take the panels off. That was the easiest part of an otherwise very easy job.

Some soft-pry tools do come in handy to get the removal started, then use your hands. As Thermo said, pull straight out.

Last edited by The Chris X; 12-17-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 AM

just out of curiousity, would it damage anything else if i just leave it and don't do anything about it for now? because it's kinda in the way of the door, so it takes a little more effort to close the door everytime. but is it worth it to fix it?

Thanks again...

Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is worth the fix...mainly because in the long run, you'll be replacing a screwed up door panel. If the door hangs a bit beyond the body, you might have to also replace (eventually MAYBE, but who knows) the striker or the door catch.

Many auto parts stores sell a tool, aptly named a "door panel remover." They cost between $5 and $10 USD, and are a VERY handy tool to have...one of those "have it and not need it" tools (i.e., I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it).

Chris is absolutely correct, in that they sell new door clips at Jag dealerships and aftermarket ones (which are quite inexpensive) at auto parts stores.

Another (after-thought) problem that could be had by leaving it "as is," is that maybe there's something ELSE going on inside your door (behind the panel) that could be causing your door to poke out beyond the body when closed. I've never heard of a door panel causing such a headache to close, so you "may" have something else going on inside there. Just a thought. If it were me, I'd pop the thing off and have a peek. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to remove, and about the same to put back on...just be careful to line up the door pins when you put it back on. Once you KNOW they're ALL lined up properly, give a good whack with the heel of your hand to ensure they're securely in place.

"A stitch in time, saves nine."

Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default C'mon, you can do it...

Bill, you should break out your toolbox and pop that panel off - it is easy, and it is worth finding out whats going on in there. It may be sonmething as simple as one of the clips came loose in there and is stuck sideways between the panel and the metal frame causing it to protrude enough to conflict with the moulding on the doorsill in one spot.

Post pictures so we can see what you're talking about.

They dont make these kittens anymore, and we all want to see you taking good care of her for us.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Hi all,

Thanks alot for all the help. I already kinda fixed the problem following you people's valuable advice. I think what happened was simply one of the clips came loose or was a little broken. So after I have taken the panel off and put it back on, it is basically fine now. It's still a little bit loose at the back corner, but that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Cheers,

Merry XMas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Bill

PS. LOVE MY CAT...

Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 PM

There are generic clips that are sold at auto parts stores that are better than the original. When you remove the panel. Taone of the clips to the parts store and match up You should be able to tell whitch ones will work. JMHO

Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stype01
There are generic clips that are sold at auto parts stores that are better than the original. When you remove the panel. Taone of the clips to the parts store and match up You should be able to tell whitch ones will work. JMHO
Then you have the answer to the golden question. Do tell where you found these clips that work better than the originals. I've been looking for 6 years now, and can't find any that will work other than the originals.