X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ..strange noise from injectors

Old 09-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Help ..strange noise from injectors

Well
the X type (2005 2.0TD) didn't run long before another problem started.
The car has been pulling like a train and then one day it started running rough between 1800 and 2200rpm and this terrible 'pinging' noise from the injectors which is more pronounced on the run down when you take your foot off of the throttle.
sounds allot worse with the cover off and bonnet open so it may have been doing this for a while ...

for info the car had re-con injectors fitted by me (Recon properly done by a Delphi agent, all tested and given new codes)
plus a recon injection pump (even though there wasn't any concrete evidence of metal particles in the fuel), and all the fuel lines and rail ultrasonically cleaned ...and tank clean out.
I've just done a leak off test on these injectors and they have a very low leak off and they're all balanced well ....within a couple of ml of each other.

I did have huge problem with coding the injectors with my clone Mongoose ...which turned out to be the software at fault ..in the end I used IDS 1.25 and it coded the injectors ok and I've just checked and the coding hasn't changed.

here is a link to the video of the noise ...

any ideas ????
My only ideas are a injector timing problem or the maybe injectors aren't closing properly.

I've never heard a common rail engine sound like this .

Old 09-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have heard similar when the imv on the injection pump is faulty, causing over pressure on the fuel rail, this causes the ecu to open injectors to dump pressure, as a sort of safety valve.

Paul.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Btw, an IMV is an inlet metering valve, I had to look it up, lol

You tech types need to remember us common folks

https://m.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-INL...QAAOSw8W1bknMl

Explanation =
https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diese...il_control.php

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 09-07-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:00 AM

IMV has been replaced with brand new Genuine Dephi ...

does make me wonder about the fuel rail pressure sensor though..... I know I can get one cheap ~£20 for a Delphi one...I'll give it a go.

On a side note I sent the video to a old friend at ford who almost immediately messaged me back to say it sounds like a liming fault and he wonders if my car still has the original chain tensioner.
Apparently ford had real big problems with the hydraulic tensioner and released an updated model with much more tension force....which was retro fitted to allot of mondeos and transits when they came in for a major service if any strange chain or injection noise was noted.
He stated that the when the tensioner begins to fail it allows the cam timings to drift slightly not only changing the valve timings slightly but as the cam position sensor(which I've already changed) is used to calculate the injection timings..it changes the injection timing as well.

I hope its a fuel pressure fault .....as there doesn't look like theirs much room to change the timing chain /tensioner and sprockets with the engine in the car.....and I have large hands

I'm going to change the fuel rail pressure sensor first then possibly try another IMV.... then if the noise is still there its off with the side of the engine.

to top it off I'm now getting ' why didn't you buy a newer Honda' from the missus .......I don't have much of a reply at the moment....trouble is the old X-type is lovely drive when its working.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

id buy a new missus before i buy a new honda!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Yeah, it's astonishing how many people walk up to me in parking lots, etc. to comment on my old Jag. Just yesterday after completing the upper hose assembly replacement, I went to Wally World and a guy walks up and says, " I've just got one question for you. Is that car as fun to drive as it looks"?

Yup it is.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:25 AM

What I like is that other drivers don't cut you up and let you out of junctions in an older Jag ....unlike BMW's or audi's ....nobody lets a Beemer driver out....well over here in the uk anyway.

Anyway after a few drive cycles now I can't help but notice the 'missfire' just isn't there when the car is stone cold ...odd

Old 09-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same problem

If it's any consolation, I have exactly the same problem. Even the sound is the same.
I initially thought I had 2 bad injectors so swapped them for 2 re-con units.
It made no difference.
The problem is only with no: 3 and 4 cylinders, the other 2 are fine.
I'm convinced that the injectors on 3 and 4 are letting oil past and burning in the cylinders ( which I suspect is also clogging up the turbo constantly)
When I've time, I'll check for sealing washers on the injectors and whip the cam cover off to see if there is anything obvious there.
Interestingly, the are no DTC's at present, BUT did have 'excessive fuel rail pressure' in the past.
I replaced all the timing/cam sprockets, chain and tensioner recently but all was well until now.
I'm worried about driving it in case it does any damage.
Any thought's ?

Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

have y'all replaced the glow plugs?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Interesting theory ... I have some lower injector deals in the workshop somewhere ... Mine does get worse as it heats up ...less viscose oil ??? ....easier to get past seals ???... Any way I want to take out the injectors to have look so I'll replace the seals.

No I haven't replaced the glow plugs ...it starts fine ...no smoke at all and is only worse when warmed up.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Default Any solutions yet?

Has anyone had any ideas what the solution is to the noisy injectors situation ?
I'm having the same symptoms and at the end of my tether with it now.
The engine seems to be running rough, same as in the above video.
ANY help would be appreciated

Old 09-13-2018, 12:49 PM

Not yet .... Unfortunately my X type is off the road with a knackered drive shaft ...
I did replace the lower injector seals and recut the injector seats in the head ..as its a very quick job .... Made absolutely no difference ...also replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor and IMV on the pump again . Looks like my mate at ford might be correct ...☹️
The rest of the car (corrosion wise) is in really good condition so im toying with the idea of buying a running engine from a crashed Mondeo and simply swapping it ...Now I know how to code the injectors with IDS not SDD it should be easier.
I've seen a couple of low mileage (under 70k miles) engines for ~£200 ... Both are still in the cars so I have seen them running....
Might still take off the timing cover to have a look through.....I just don't like to ditch the engine not knowing wtf was wrong.

The following users liked this post:
BradsJag (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:23 PM

Hi
I did the same thing by replacing the injector seals this morning, it actually seem to make it worse !!! so, me thinks that I've disturbed something in the process.
Now looking at the electrics especially the wiring and plugs on the injectors.Does seem to be running on 3 cyls and very hot.
I had the cam cover off while I was at it, thinking of valve springs etc etc .... looks okay.
Still have the strange pinging noise you have along with a sound like loose tappets.
Spent too much on it, so I dare not scrap it, plus can't afford a replacement car.
Did you ever have problems with the turbo clogging up?
All well, back to the 10lb hammer and loads of swearing ... lol

Old 09-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Mine is no worse but no better either, she doesn't run hot and runs well till warm ...still has the 'pinging' noise from cold though... Fuel economy is really good still even when it's not running well... My turbo is still very free and extremely easy to operate by hand if the actuator is disconnected....I do have the luxury of a complete spare turbo and actuator to test though ..
I did think along the lines of broken valve springs but haven't found any .
....bit stumped at the moment...
Such a strange noise and behaviour.
one thing I'm going to check for is air in the leak back pipes when she's drivable again ...I've got a leak off test kit and a huge mix of pipe fittings so Im sure I can cobble something together.

Last edited by greenestate; 09-13-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mates I have similar issues I post my story in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-p0251-28179/ and similar sit, the noise you hear I have it espacially when engine is cold and engine is idle, but my idle is become bad recently engine is shacking a bit more than usual and reading the fuel pressure it's jumping from 170-300 bars, when engine is
hot it's really stable around 230 bars so for now I am out of ideas ...

Old 09-19-2018, 09:01 PM

Well now so far the X type has behaved its self for the last week ...I have still got the strange noise but the very rough running at ~1800-2500 rpm is gone ...for the moment... So I'm now thinking the odd noise and the rough running are two different faults ... Trouble is I don't know if it was recutting the injector seats and refitting the injectors with copper sealing washers instead of the normal steel ones or gutting the clogged cat that helped ... My gut feeling is it was the cat and probably my turbo is on the way out as it has too much oil blowby on the seals hense the clogged catalyst.
Time will tell

Last edited by greenestate; 09-19-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM

I found the problem, sadly expensive one.... it was combination between the injectors and fuel pump... The pump was the original problem metal turnings came from it and damage the injectors. So I sent my pump and injectors for reconditioning in Bosch service ( oddly they work also on Delphi ) so now everything is back in the car and power is increase smoke is minimal stady idly and more dinamic engine. So around 1200 euro and at least several more years on the road.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM

initially my plan was to buy from china valves and nozzles for the injectors, 20 euro for the valve and 25 for nozzle and fix it myself, but since the problem came from the pump, was pointless for me.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

xarvi,
I hope you cleaned out the fuel tank and lines properly !
This has to be done when replacing the fuel pump/injectors.

Paul.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:10 AM

Hi Man on the hill, before the pump and injoctors be recyled, I open the fuel tank just check it. I done when it was almost empty and it was pretty clean. Since the repair actions I always use the bosch filter to be sure nothing is going back and forward between the tank and the pump.

1 month after the car lost power after 2000RPM and start smoking very black .... and I was not again but it was the turbo hose beneath the EGR so 20 euro and everything is back to normal.