Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with tune up

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with tune up

Hi all,

I did some searching around but didnt see anything that really answered my question completely.

I want to tune up my Jag, 2002 X-type sport 2.5. Ive always done the work myself but have always worked on chevy's and such.

A typical tune up for me is to replace plugs, wires, pcv, clean throttle body, fuel filter, air filter, oil change and thats about it. The car has 80K miles and has not had a 60K service so I also want to flush and replace brake fluid, trans fluid, and coolant. Also I will be doing the brakes as well.

My question is: Is there anything more/less that I should do? Also I have a 5spd man. trans so is it worth it to change the fluid?

Does anyone have any suggestions on parts/brands/ type of fluid, ect. I should use while doing this extensive tune-up?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Do a search for Dennis Black, he has a write up on pretty much everything, the plugs are a biotch since you'll need to remove the Intake to get at a couple of them. Transfer case and tranny fluid are supposedly good for life, they're not but he tells you how to change them. The plugs are good for 100K.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd go ahead and replace the PCV hose that runs from the intake to the valve cover area - about 8" long and approx 1" in diameter, right next to the airbox. The OEM version is smooth, the replacement will be ribbed and sturdier. Mine split on my 02 somewhere around 84k mi. $12 part from the dealer. I don't know if you planned to include that with your PCV change, so there ya go.

I'd clean the MAF with specific cleaner while you are in there.

Two other major ones you may have overlooked are the transfer case - which i would put as a higher priority than the manual transmission fluid (auto maybe a different story), and the rear diff.

Examine your serpt belt for wear. It could very well still be the original and it's 8+ years old. Time to go.

Pretty much all of this stuff is on here somewhere, the search can be laborious but it will get you there eventually.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

I went to the dealer looking for a compatible intake cleaner and the parts guy told me to not clean the throttle body internals with any solvents. He said there's a protective coating applied at the factory and it's destroyed with TB or carb cleaner. So, proceed here with caution.

Others may feel differently.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ha ha ha ha, the old throttlebody coating story. I have to laugh at this. Open up your intake and look at the throttlebody. If that coating was still there, you shouldn't have any build up. In short, yes, a coating is applied at the factory to make it resistant to build up of gunk on the baffle plate. But, after running air through the throttlebody, the air is abrasive and will slowly wear this coating off. After around 50K miles, there is very little coating left due to the erosion caused by the air moving through it. So, why worry about scraping off the protective coating if you have lots of miles on the motor. I have ported/polished the throttlebody on my truck and have definitely removed whatever coating was there. I don't notice any more buildup on it than what I was seeing before.

Is it safe to not use anything on it? Depends on how you look at it. A sticking throttle can be pretty ugly. Besides, to do a cleaning even every 10K miles only takes but a few minutes and makes for some quality time with your car.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO change the trans fluid for your 5spd. I did this on my 2.5 manual, along with the fluid in the transfer case/rear diff. All along with doing your tune up/oil change.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

Re: TB cleaning. I've used cleaners on my other cars without issue. My sense is that the parts guy passed along what he'd been told. If your car is still under warranty I'd probably not mess with it but if you're on your own, that's another story.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone. I hadnt thought to do the transfer case or rear differential. Ill do that as well.

Thanks!