X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch squealing /whine noise

Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High pitch squealing /whine noise

have a 04 Xtype 3.0 all wheel drive. changed all 4 rotors and pads about 3 months ago. recently i started hearing a high pitch squeal at around 30-40mph and it continues at 50 -60mph, just not as loud. Hard to say where its comming from but it sounds like its comming from the rear. Its sounds just like worn squeaking brakes, but i've tried some hard stops and lifting the handrbarake but the sound remains until i get below 30-40mph. Doesnt do it all the time, but the last few days it seems like all the time. One interesting note...it did not make any noise when it was raining.
I'm going to try an anti squeak spray on the pads and see what
happens. Searched this forum and have heard possabilities of tranny, Xcase, center drive shaft bearing, wheel bearing. Anyone have first hand experience? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

If it's cold outside when you hear the noise then it's the center drive shaft bearing. Have the EXACT same problem when mine gets cold. If it's making the noise when it's not cold outside then you could have a xcase problem or even a wheel bearing. With that being said, 9 times out of 10 it's the center drive shaft bearing. They just don't like the cold and like to let you understand their discomfort

Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Default Thanks Disguay

Thanks for the info, in fact its just starting to get cold up here. Just came in from spraying stop squeak on all 4 corners, hoping those cheap a$$ brakes i bought might have been the cluprit. I also sprayed the center bearing with silicone. The cneter bearing would also explain why the noise doesnt happen in the rain. Is it it a pain to change the center bearing????

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mimmo
Thanks for the info, in fact its just starting to get cold up here. Just came in from spraying stop squeak on all 4 corners, hoping those cheap a$$ brakes i bought might have been the cluprit. I also sprayed the center bearing with silicone. The cneter bearing would also explain why the noise doesnt happen in the rain. Is it it a pain to change the center bearing????
If you are mechanically inclined it isn't too bad, but the hard part is that you need to press the new bearing onto the rear driveshaft which will have to be done at a shop. If you want to change it yourself you could probably do it for around $200 by buying the bearing and removing the driveshaft and then taking both to a shop to do the pressing.

You should not spray silicone lubricant on this bearing because it is too light of a lubricant. It's like running a fluid with the viscosity of water in your engine... It's just not a good idea. What many members (myself included) have done to try to prevent this squealing is to buy a grease gun, grease needle, and synthetic grease and pump some grease into the bearing. It didn't work for me, but it seems to have about a 50% success rate depending on how damaged your bearing is in the first place. I would try that first before you do anything else because that could be the fix for you especially because you own an 04.

Here's a link. It's about half way down on the first page.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ring-faq-9853/

Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Mimmo, bad news, good news, bad news, good news...

bad news, it's likely the prop shaft center bearing as it clasiically shows up in colder temps. Good news is that if yours has the notches that you can get a grease needle into you MAY get some relief by adding your own grease. Bad news is that it only works "sometimes". Good news is that a new prop shaft has come down in price and should be in stock at your local dealer!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone. Have a 30 mile drive this morning so we'll see what happens.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

mimmo, this isn't really a part that needs to be replaced unless it is inhibiting the driving of the vehicle. My center support bearing is LOUD in the winter, but I can stand it so I've just sorta let it go for the time being. You really don't NEED to replace it because as long as the bearing is doing it's job (which mine is.) A lot of people think that noisy bearings aren't doing their job, which is true in regards to many bearings in the engine, transmission, and other heavily lubricated areas. The only reason that this bearing is howling is because it's not doused in lubricant all the time and there is probably a little dirt inside of bearing which will cause it to wear out sooner, but just keep a close eye on it so you don't have to replace it more than you need to

Basically, don't feel like this bearing is going to cause catastrophic problems at it's state right now. I would wait until it makes howling noises when it's warm outside before you change it. In the end, it's your choice of when you want to replace it

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Is 50 degrees here and today is raining, so far no noise. If the noise comes back when it gets colder I will use a spray lubricant on the bearing and immediately test. If that eliminates the noise I'm changing the bearing. Can't live with that noise and don't want that vibration as small as it
May be being transferred to the xcase rear seal. By the way, once my squeal starts it doesn't stop even after a few miles of driving. So far I'm squealess!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear! Mine doesn't squel, it howls I'l be replacing it soon