Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: High pitched whine

Another thought from this TSB:

A/T - Whining Noise From Shift Cables
X-TYPE XT308-04 DATE: 09/04
Amended: 10/05 MODEL:
2002-05 MY
X-TYPE VIN:
C00001-*E50882* Transmission Whine - *Sound Transmitted By Shift Cables - Revised Shift Cables Available* Remove and destroy Bulletin XT308-04 dated 09/04. Replace with this Bulletin. Revisions are shown with asterisks. Issue: Some X-TYPE vehicles may exhibit a transmission whine (noise) emanating from the transmission. The whine can be transmitted along the gearshift cables into the cabin. A set of revised shift cables has been released to address this concern. Action: In case of a customer complaint of the above condition, install a set of revised shift cables as outlined below. Note: This Technical Bulletin MUST be carried out and the vehicle retested before replacing a transmission for this complaint. WORKSHOP PROCEDURE 1. Install a revised gearshift cable set (see Workshop Manual, section: 308-06, SRO 37.16.45). Global Technical Reference (GTR) Workshop Manual Information: Internet access: http://www.jaguartechinfo.com

Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: High pitched whine

I will check my service logs to see if the cables were replaced at any of my numerous visits.

Most of the work done on my car was 2006 and after, so I believe I should have most of the updated stuff. I am actually really pleased with my Jag dealer - they have always changed everything they should to my knowledge and are proactive about future issues.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE

I dropped my X off at an independant garage locally who specializes in European cars. They diagnosed the problem as the rear axle. The oil in there was in poor shape (thick sludge) and they believe that this has damaged the bearings which allowed gear missalignment when a load was applied. They told me this was not the first time they have seen this happen to a X-type.

Interestingly I noticed once when I was driving it over to the garage that it stopped whining on a turn (can't remember if it was LH or RH turn). That made me wonder if it could be a rear axle problem.

Anyway, they had a used 45,000 mile X rear end which they offered to install (with new oil!) for $2k; comes with a 12 month warrenty. Price seemed a little high to me for a used part, but I told them to go ahead. Honestly if it fixes the problem then I will be very happy to have the car back. I'll let you know how it goes.

*** GO AND CHANGE YOUR OIL NOW *** Rear Axle, Transfer Case, Transmission, Engine...

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: UPDATE

Gotta lovethat "FILLED for LIFE" philosophy

Hope you get fixed up good..

Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM

My garage phoned today to let me know that the rear axle swap is complete and it 80% fixed the whine! PITA! So they want to keep if a little longer and do some more diagnosis.

His suggestion as to what else could be causing the noise is the driveshaft center bearing which was the first thing suggested in this thread. I guess their garage policy is 'start at the back and work your way forward'. I asked we just replaced a perfectly good rear axle but he insisted that it was a significant contributer to the problem. This Jaguar ownership thing can be quite depressing at times. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, they also said they want to change the oil in the TC since it looks like sludge.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM

I picked my X-type up today from the garage and the whine has completely gone. No trace of it at any speed or load. Yay!

To fix the problem they changed the rear differential which got us 80% of way there, then changed the oil in the TC which cured the remaining 20% (garage subjective percentages, not mine). $2250 later I am back on the road. My wife says that's my Christmas present [:-]

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree... the whine is a known issue from the transfer case. glad to hear the sound is gone but something does not sound right about this... it sounds like you got coal for Christmas. lol

Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default cold weather "Prop Shaft" Whine FIXED!

I've had this problem for YEARS. My car was still under the Select Certified warranty in 2007. They put in a new prop shaft and differential. They put in the noise tunnel, weights, everything. NOT fixed. My dealer inspected and confirmed the new prop shaft is the latest and greatest just this year. The put "ears" on the prop shaft and confirmed to me the noise is definitely coming from the new prop shaft, and they said there wasn't any more they could do.

Well I lived with the noise for years until recently. My shifter (standard shift) had always had a little movement to it. For example when you are in a low gear at low RPM, lift-off the throttle and back on and you could see the shift lever move a bit. Well, it suddenly began to move much further. It was quickly diagnosed as a rear motor mount (I forget the exact description, they had some kind of name for it). $130 installed by the dealer. The shifter is now tight and firm. it does not move at all ... with any kind of prompting.

And now the great news. It's been below freezing here, and finally ... no more noise! I suspect the loose motor mount put excess pressure on the system that caused a harmonic vibration in the cold. The Prop Shaft was the clear source of the noise, but it was not the Cause!

When you are having this looked at, also have them check the subframe mounting bolts. My subframe was loose from the body. The point is, make sure nothing is allowing pressure against the prop shaft.

Cheers,
David