X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check automatic transmission level- Jaguar X type AWD 3.0L 2004

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check automatic transmission level- Jaguar X type AWD 3.0L 2004

How to check automatic transmission level- Jaguar X type AWD 3.0L 2004 at 299,000 km.
When engaging forward or reverse the gearbox has a knocking sound which I thought was gearbox mounting but found it still ok. There is a knock like a solenoid engaging each time the ignition is put "On" without the engine.
What could be the problem?.
Stanley
Email: stanleydamane@gmail.com

Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Read everything in this link and embedded links in the thread. This will show you the official procedure as well as a DEFINITIVE explanation of NOT undoing the wrong bolt to check the level which will screw up your transmission.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-pics-183620/

Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

does the sound perhaps come from the shifter?
the shifter will make that sound when you shift, its probably the neutral safety switch or some similar device so you can only shift out of park with the brake pedal depresed

Last edited by iownme; 08-22-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

stanley.
the official jaguar procedure to check oil level is a pain in the dangly bits... as far as im aware nobody here has even tried it (please post here if you have)
follow dells link, thats how we all do it, no-one knows how accurate it is but we have all seen significant improvements by blindly doing it... lol
personally, i have done it many times over the last 8 years

Last edited by iownme; 08-22-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It has always been my understanding that before you do a tranny fluid change you SHOULD check your level of fluid first. The procedure should not be that hard. Bring car up to operating temperature and shift through the gears with the foot on the brake. Jack the car up then with the engine running and car in park and open the level check plug. If fluid comes out, then let it come out until is slows or stops and your good. If NONE comes out then you need to add a little at a time until it does at the fill plug. Then your good to go as per Dells links on how to do the fluid change and you should get around 3.5 quarts per drain. However, most I read who have done the tranny fluid change skip the level check procedure and have had good results so maybe they can answer whether they think it is important or not and why? I have not done this yet but have read many threads on it and when I do get around to doing it I will do the level check first to be on the safe side.

peace out,
daddylogan

Attached Files

Last edited by daddylogan; 08-24-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

The reason I didn't (explanation in my link) was even at that time there was A LOT of confusion about the fill level check plug and the reverse band plug that screws up your transmission from members for literally years. Even transmission shops were pulling the wrong plug and I was not willing to take a chance. Upon my first drain I did get the precise 3 1/2 quart drain although others were different. Hence my admonition to measure EVERY drain.

With an enormous, again enormous amount of research, looking at many forums, reading manuals, looking at schematics, I finally came up with the DEFINITIVE answer on the plugs. I can state with confidence that I could/would be willing to check the level now. The small hesitation I would have is the "official Jaguar procedure" has exact temperatures for the fluid to be at for exact level checking. It's not "bring it up to running temperature and shift through the gears". This avoids overfilling (and underfilling if the EXACT temperature is not met). These are documented along with the DEFINITIVE answer on the plugs in my posting.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-24-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 AM

Not disagreeing with ya Dell...it is you who finally got me right on the drain plug and reverse band bolt. My point was simply I would do the check level plug procedure now after being educated on it. It is the perfect way to know that when you are done with everything that your tranny is up to level and you can get in a good % of fresh fluid!!! Cheers!

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-24-2018, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

By the way, just nit picking not trying to be a butt, but it's add a little at a time until it comes out of the check level plug NOT the fill plug.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yup, I agree. I'd do it now but not when I did mine. Too scared, lmao!!

Old 08-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

how is the temp measured?

id be curious to see a jag technician perform this procedure....especially as my 20 years of working on jags has taught me their book descriptions often are incorrect.

needing 2 people to check fluid level is weird.
" hey...quit pouring it in,.....its coming out the fill plug"

"pass me a towel, hot oil just flew in my eye"

Last edited by iownme; 08-24-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Excerpts, you tell me and we'll both know =

When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the ' P' position, raise the vehicle.

If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube.
NOTE THE TERM TUBE HERE. This was the key phrase of how I found out about the tube inside the transmission is at the correct INTERNAL height and flows DOWN to the check fluid bolt/hole.

Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F). Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

Yeah, okay.......infrared temperature gauge maybe? Long probe temperature needle like thing through the charge (fill) hole?

Old 08-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
By the way, just nit picking not trying to be a butt, but it's add a little at a time until it comes out of the check level plug NOT the fill plug.
It's cool but that is what I mean't....if none is coming out then you add a little at a time at the fill plug - maybe I should have said "in" or something else...but yeah, That is what I mean't - add a little at a time at the fill plug until it starts to come out the level check plug. lol

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 06-24-2023, 04:13 PM
Default 2004 X Type (AWD) tranny fluid level

I appreciate all the insight and advice but I think I am missing something. I am under the impression that the car should be running, in Park, and on level ground to check the fluid level at the fluid level "plug" - correct? What I am missing is that once you have checked the level, then if you drain/lose fluid during the checking procedure (or need to add) fluid, and you are filling the fluid back into the system in the port under the battery, how can you fill AND check for the proper level if the car needs to be running to do a proper level check? The battery has to be out so you can access the fill port doesn't it? I am sure i am missing something in the sequence of events. Also, I keep reading that the temperature of the fluid is fairly critical to get a proper reading, but if the car needs to be running in order to check the level, isn't it constantly increasing the temperature.? I'm just a shade tree mechanic trying to keep my kids '04 (3.0 AWD) on the road. Any advice or clarification of what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

No the battery does not need to be removed. Read your other post where I posted the procedure (turkey baster) w/pics and another with transmission diagrams showing plug(s) location and purpose.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:39 PM
Default 2004 X Type (AWD) tranny fluid level

Ok, I will take a look. Can you confirm the car should be running and on level ground when the fluid level is checked. Thanks again

Old 06-24-2023, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes, level.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-266693/
You can see on my pics that there is no need to remove battery to refill. About the knocking sound mentioned above in the thread here:

I had this on my Ford Fairlane: It happened that the car suddenly had a tendency to jerk into gears with an umpf, when e.g. changing between Drive and Reverse. The reason for that was that the ATF level was low.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 06-24-2023 at 04:50 PM.