X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to replace radio or get it to work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to replace radio or get it to work?

Hello, I am a new jag owner. I have a 2002 Jaguar x-type 2.5. I love the car but have been having problems with the radio head unit.

At first the radio screen would light up, but the screen was blank AND the radio worked. I could hear sound and change the channel etc.
So, I thought I would be smart and check out the fuses. I took the ones out that went to the radio head unit and those around it, they all looked fine, the only blown fuse I found went to the lighter. Of course I put all the fuses back.
So after I checked all the fuses I tried the radio and now I cannot even hear sound! It is completely dead! I rechecked the fuses and they are still fine.....but still no sound.
So, my first question is does anyone have any idea how I can at least get the sound back?
My second question is: is there an economical way to replace the radio? I called the jag dealer and they have a new one for $1300, or they have a used one for $980 installed.
I found one on ebay for $100, but the service department warned me that I could buy it and if it wasn't original to that vehicle that it came off of, I may not be able to get a code for it. So I am not sure what to do!

I would appreciate any input anyone has! Thanks!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Julie, based on what you are describing, what happened is the radio is waiting for you to put in a code. But, with the screen blank, you don't know that. As for getting something to work, I need to know one thing, do you have the radio that is just a radio or do you have the one that has the A/C controls built into it along with the Nav?

This is why this is important. If you have the one with all the bells and whistles in it, you have to get another radio identical to it unless you want to convert back to manual A/C controls and loose the Nav function. If you can get a radio off of the internet, before you buy it, get a specific note from the seller (whether via e-mail or by mail) that if the code they give you for the radio does not work, that you can return the radio no questions asked. This way you have recourse should the radio not work. If they will not give you the code, then walk away. Jag is very protective of the radio codes and will only give you the code to the radio if you can prove ownership of the car that the radio was originally put in from the factory.

If you have a basic radio, then the option is only limited by what you are willing to get installed. You can install just about anything aftermarket to get tunes back in the car. Any stereo shop should be able to get you something decent for under $300.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Well, I have two screens, one on top that controls the ac, it has a thermostat etc. and this screen functions just fine as does the ac. The bottom screen is for the radio,(this is the one that doesn't work) it appears that it also is supposed to control a phone and there is a phone icon and a place to dial, there is also a cassette player. There is a CD player with the cd changer in the trunk, but obviously I can't control any of this. Does this help at all?

I think I may have found a code, I pulled out a plastic pocket over the top of the fuses and there was a white sticker with a number written on it.

I did find a radio for sale on ebay that came out of a wrecked Jaguar. But it says you have to take the vin along with the receipt to the Jag dealer to get the code. The Jag dealer said this may not work if it is not the only radio that has ever been in that car. This is all very confusing!

Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, if you cut the 12volt power to most car radios now, you will lose the keycode. Disconnecting the battery, lifting the radio fuse will do this. Of course with a dead display, you couldn't know this.
When I bought my S-type, the radio was dead, and the dealer just called the local Jaguar dealer and got it immediately. I suppose he quoted the VIN#. I then wrote that keycode number in the handbook for future reference.
The whole idea of keycodes was to stop radio thefts from cars. But I don't think this applies anymore as radios are built-in devices now -- you'd have to rip the console apart to get it out, and who would buy it? These keycodes are just another aggravation about cars now...
If you get the keycode, switch on the radio and key it into the keypad. It should then burst into life.
Leedsman.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

JUlie, the best advice that I can tell you is to go to your local dealership and tell them the situation and see if they will look up the code for you if you only give them the VIN number. Some may do it, some may not (as this is really skirting the issue of preventing theft). If the dealership says they will, then go for it.

As for your radio, you have the generic radio without the controls built into the radio. Personally, I would tell you to go with something aftermarket and call it good. You will get better sound quality, more features, and for a few extra bucks, the shop can even wire the radio into the steering wheel controls to keep those active. But, getting the used radio would be overall cheaper. Your call.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Thank you for the input. One more question, is there anything in the radio control screen/setup that is essential for the function of the car? If we switch to a different radio, the ability to put in codes etc. will go away. Will I be getting rid of anything that will damage my car?

Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

JUlie, as long as you have the basic radio, then no, you are not going to loose any functionality. If you have the higher end radio, then there is a lot of retro-fitting that needs to be done.