X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need HELP with DSC fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need HELP with DSC fault

I have an intermittent DSC fault light coming on. I have checked all the wheel sensors, they seem ok, the abs functions as it should, so i believe this eliminates sensor problems ? When i turn the ignition key to position 2 the system performs a check and the abs and dsc lights go out, the dsc on/off switch operates correctly and shows dsc on/off, i continue to turn the key and start the engine, 80% of the time the dsc fault light comes on !
I also have a 2001 XKR and have read in the XK forum that xk DSC faults have been solved by repairing cracked soldered connections in the DSC/ABS control unit. Does anyone know if the X type control units suffer with the same problem ?
cheers, Endressen

Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I had this exact issue and it was the battery. First check all your connections and condition of cables. Since I didn't have a battery tester I simply put my BatteryTender on each night for a few nights and every morning the DSC worked normally. I replaced the battery and it's been good since. In my case it started happening only on very cold days until finally, after about a year or so, it started happening on almost every start. DSC was the only issue, the car started fine even on the coldest of days. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I got the DSC fault when my positive battery cable was arcing against a bolt it was running across. Check it at it's lowest point of the run.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 AM

2004 AWD 2.5 X type 71 K miles Thanks guys, sounds like it could be a low voltage problem, the battery is original so could well be the cause. I have just disconnected the battery and put on charge - so later today i hopefully will have a trouble free warning light free start - fingers crossed. Once again thanks for your prompt input. Cheers, endressen

Old 03-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You disconnected the Battery to charge it? Depending on how long it is disconnected you may have to reprogram a few things in the car. Do you have the radio code card? You can change the battery with it connected to the car.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Yes i did have to input the radio code to get things working. I thought it was not advisable to charge the battery whilst connected ? but of course its a lot easier not disconnecting the battery
Unfortunately the charging didnt work, when i started the car last night the dreaded light came on ! However started up this morning and no light - will just have to keep looking.
Cheers endressen

Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM

I would definitely keep suspecting low voltage. Whether it's the battery, cable or bad connection, I'd keep looking. Have you tried starting the car using a batter charger in the "start mode" (high amps) to see if it helped?

You also have to consider your battery, if original, really is near the end of its life, if not way past it already. It wouldn't be the worst thing to just replace it "just because". The way batteries fail now-a-days, lots of times they don't give you much warning, they just leave you stranded.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for you help, today I made a permanent fix - went to our local Jag dealer in Sheffield, saw a 2008 XF premium luxury 2.7D 22K miles big spec. and did a trade in, picking the XF up on Thursday. They didnt seem overly concerned about the dsc light, so assume they also think its battery (voltage )related. Again thanks for your assistance. Cheers, endressen

Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by endressen
Thanks for you help, today I made a permanent fix - went to our local Jag dealer in Sheffield, saw a 2008 XF premium luxury 2.7D 22K miles big spec. and did a trade in, picking the XF up on Thursday.
Well, that's a bit extreme but I guess that will fix your problem too. Congrats on the new ride. Good luck with it.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the rest - 99% sure the DSC system fault is the battery losing its punch. Replace the battery and the DSC thing goes away. The first time I noticed this, I had no idea it was the battery until one day my car would not start. It was still under warranty and the Jag tech told me the good news.