X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition key light ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ignition key light ring

I have only had my 2007 X-type for a few months, but I am still having trouble finding the ignition keyhole when trying to start the car in the dark. My other non-Jag cars all have a light ring that illuminates when you enter the car so the keyhole is outlined. Why doesn't the Jag? Has anyone found such a thing (aftermarket) that I can instal and which will operate with the interior light, and stay on until the car is started? I've searched the forums for such a thing, but haven't found a similar post, although surely someone has mentioned it, somewhere....

Old 07-22-2018, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 07-22-2018, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-23-2018, 03:27 AM

Thanks, Dell. My search on eBay in Australia didn't bring those up, but I did ask for the 'bit' to be for a Jaguar. I think the Ford Ranger link might be a good lead, but the stick-on ones might also be an easy way out. I don't know why other members haven't had the same problem. Thanks again - so easy when you do the right search....

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

never had a problem sticking my key anywhere it needs to go
practice
practice
practice

Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I too find it curious that after driving the car for a while you still have problems locating the ignition area. It would seem muscle memory would take over by now to the point where you would naturally be close. Even if you would have a light in the area it would still just be an area you would gravitate to as you would not be able to see the ignition slot itself.Like iownone said, I have never had an issue with locating the ignition swith in any car I have ever owned in my 50 years of driving. But everyone is different.

Just out of curiousity, how long do you have to fiddle to locate the key in the ignition slot each time you try and start it in the dark? I would think you would have the same issue in the daytime as well as you still can't seee the ignition swith itslef as it is on teh side of the steering column behind the wheel/

Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Brings up a question probably best asked of his significant other. "How long does he fiddle before finding the spot"? Lmfao!!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Don't take the ****. I have been driving for somewhat over 50 years and have not had a problem with other ignition keys. However the Jag key is a bit differently shaped from other keys I have had (and I've never had a Ford), and in later years all have had a light. It does help me, but even though it takes all of 5 seconds to locate the hole, I dislike the uncertainty of where it is. My wife will assist me to guide it in (in other situations) if necessary....
My 2017 Mazda 3 is the first car I've had that doesn't require a key to start it, and I like that idea. I look forward to one day having a Jag that has that facility, but can't afford it now.
Thanks for the guidance and the banter.
Bill

Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 PM

Well, it wasn't as clearcut as I thought it would be. Apparently left-hand drive is different from r\ight hand drive when it comes to the ignition switch, although I'm not sure why - I think they both turn the same way. Anyway, I found that most of the stick-on ones have a larger centre hole and outside diameter compared to the Jag, whilst others are smaller. The wired up ones fit (mostly) Fords and a few others, but the wiring diagrams on Youtube do not include Jaguar, so need to know where to connect them to. I ordered a stick-on one for a Citroen, because it should fit, and they're cheap, and maybe I'll soon get the skills to fit the key without stuffing around too long.
I guess that if I drive it more, it'll happen sooner, but I do have 5 cars, all different.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

how about you park with steering wheel turned so you can see the hole

Last edited by iownme; 07-26-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always used my ginger to feel the location then stick the key in, not needed to see the hole very often.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, iownme and Thanguar. I reckon the ring, when it arrives, will make it easier in the interim until I get used to it. I'd hate to park with the steering wheel turned too far, as it isn't great on the suspension

Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever you do, post pics.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Device

Device at night

Device in daylight
Well, finally got time to make a final report on this. The stick on illumination device isn't as good as I hoped, and I think I'm starting to get the key in easier now as I have had a bit more experience. However, the device does help. I have 3 photos to show. One is of the actual device as I received it (but it's a bit fuzzy) The next shows it fitted in daylight and the key in the ignition. The final one shows the ring glowing in the dark, also with the key in the ignition. Not fantastic, but okay.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 08-26-2018, 08:50 PM

Thanks, JagXSE. I have come to some sort of conclusion that some of my original difficulty arose due to being left-handed, and in a right-handed drive car. Those in the US, where the key is still on the right side of the steering wheel (and remember I mentioned 'right side') have a much larger space next to the wheel to do such things. For us in right handed drive vehicles, there is less space as there is the right side door up close, and light is even more restricted. The key is generally on the right side of the steering wheel and, as most things are built for the predominantly right-handed people, the key is inserted with the right hand. Us 'lefties' get quite used to doing it, as we get used to most things in the world being built for 'righties', and we just get used to putting the key in our right hands. However, it makes such menial tasks just a little more challenging. Follow?

It may not seem to be a big thing, but tools, even scissors and bricklaying trowels are predominantly made for right handers. I always have difficulty finding left-handed tools, including power tools, and kitchen knives that have the handle built for comfort for right-handed operators. When I was in the military (for over 20 years) I had to adjust to using right-handed weapons and, with bolt action rifles (in the earlier days), had to reach across the rifle to operate the bolt. Also, being left-handed, I had hot cartridge shells being ejected into my face. There are so many more examples I could give, but this is a car site.... Ah well, just some of the things we have to adjust to.

I thought I should point out some of that stuff to partially explain my conundrum....

Old 08-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

now the post makes more sense to me.
didnt realise being L.H was such a pain.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well left handed and the steering on the "wrong" side, lol.

Like us having the ignition by the turn signal and being right handed.

Btw Yorta, I was left handed until I went to school. In the "olden days", the teachers made you switch hands to right. I now feel as if I'm right handed. My sister is younger and in that interim time, the practice was discontinued. She is still left handed.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:22 PM

I also was told I had to write with my right hand in the early days at school, but after about 2 years the rule changed and I could use my left hand so, stubbornly, I did. After that I had a terrible writing style and it has been that way since. I started playing golf left handed, but because my Dad had right handed clubs, and we couldn't afford another set, I learnt to play right handed and went from there. However, I played tennis left-handed until I took up golf and that stuffed up my tennis. Now (if I ever play) I can only play backhand, both handedly, where I just change hands. Totally useless at it.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Odd that. The guy who got me golfing in my mid thirties was 15 years my junior and right handed at all things in life and sports. But was a continuous below par -2 to -5, LEFT handed golfer. His grandfather taught him and handed him a right and left handed club to swing. Asked him which felt better and he answered left, so he learned left. It was funny to watch him take my right hand driver, hold it "upsidedown" heal in the air, toe towards the ground and drive the ball off the tee.