X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing pushbutton ingition.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing pushbutton ingition.

Any pitfalls to this or like hidden traps to unfortunately find when installing a push button ignition switch on the X-Type?

Any general tips on installation or anything is also welcome

Old 08-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes I think this will be a big project. As I understand how the theft protection system works is that the top part of the remote key contains something (transmitter?) that is programmed into the car.

You can test this by just removing the metal "key" part of the remote and try to start your car. It most likely will not start even when you turn the key.

I do not know of an EZ way to overcome this.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
Yes I think this will be a big project. As I understand how the theft protection system works is that the top part of the remote key contains something (transmitter?) that is programmed into the car.

You can test this by just removing the metal "key" part of the remote and try to start your car. It most likely will not start even when you turn the key.

I do not know of an EZ way to overcome this.
The key is still going to be required to start the car, so far as i understand it goes like this:
Insert the key and turn it to position 2, instead of turning it to position 3 you then push the button to commence the starter and start the engine. This does not inhibit the security system at all since the transponder in the key fob is being read by the system and as far as it is concerned it's starting the car itself.

The wiring of the push button is more of what I was curious about as I have seen different ways of wiring it for several different cars and buttons, so I was looking for anyone who has done it or knows hot to do it for our X types specifically.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If I am understanding what you want to do correctly, you will still put the key in the ignition, but just not turn it to the start position. If that is correct, what is the advantage to even have a push button start? Seems like a lot of work for....what? I must be missing something.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Georgio, to install a push button, you simply need to access the ignition switch and install a push button between Pins 3 (red wire) and 7 (yellow). This will allow the signals to make it to the starter assuming that you have the key in the RUN position. Where the problem comes with this is if you are sitting with the engine running and the gear shifter in PARK or NEUTRAL, the pushbutton will still be active and it can lead to damage to the starter if you accidentally hit the push button (you would attempt to engage the starter and at a minimum damage the teeth on the flywheel and/or starter, worst case, over spin the starter and cause it to destroy itself). To prevent this from happening, you would need to install a circuit into the push button line that would activate a relay. The trick with this circuit is it needs to leave the relay de-energized when the wiring to the car is less than 12.8 VDC, but energize the relay when it is at/above 12.8 VDC. This way, you can push the start button all you want with the engine running and the signal will never make it to the starter.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Georgio, to install a push button, you simply need to access the ignition switch and install a push button between Pins 3 (red wire) and 7 (yellow). This will allow the signals to make it to the starter assuming that you have the key in the RUN position. Where the problem comes with this is if you are sitting with the engine running and the gear shifter in PARK or NEUTRAL, the pushbutton will still be active and it can lead to damage to the starter if you accidentally hit the push button (you would attempt to engage the starter and at a minimum damage the teeth on the flywheel and/or starter, worst case, over spin the starter and cause it to destroy itself). To prevent this from happening, you would need to install a circuit into the push button line that would activate a relay. The trick with this circuit is it needs to leave the relay de-energized when the wiring to the car is less than 12.8 VDC, but energize the relay when it is at/above 12.8 VDC. This way, you can push the start button all you want with the engine running and the signal will never make it to the starter.
Thanks very much for this Thermo it worked like a charm! As for those asking, yes it is a silly and pointless mod whose only function serves to cosmetically improve the feel and 'cool' factor of my personal jag. It is diumb I agree, but necessary for me