XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sticky Start/Stop button

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Start/Stop button

Hello.

On my 2007 XK8 I have a fiddly Start button. I have to depress it "just so" before the car will start/stop. It eventually always works but it's something I'd like to fix (and I'm tired of telling valets about it).

As I bought the car 6 months ago, I don't know it's history but I assume a previous owner spilled coffee or something sticky on the console to cause the issue.

I have electronics contacts cleaner and I can wedge the straw down around the button and give it a good blast but I'd rather do a better job and remove the button and try to clean up the contacts.

I downloaded the 2500+ page maintenance manual from Jagdocs but cannot find info on removal of the button. Does anyone have any advice on how that can be done (I have to remove the wood trim piece first)? I can maybe fiddle around and figure it out but I'd rather cast around for some experienced instruction first.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Carl

BTW ... the ASL button is permanently pressed in (but causes no issues or even a dash light, which is weird).

Old 05-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello!

On the X150's (07 and newer)..normally called XK. But thank goodness we have the V8

To remove those buttons.. pop out the center wood trim. There is a pdf somewhere here (look for x150 trim removal) that shows it.

Once that trim is out, unplug the ASL button and start button. Then to remove them from the wood panel..grab a pair of pliers and LIGHTLY compress the small two tabs on the underside of the panel. They will come right out. You can have those buttons out in 5 min. The trim comes out very quick. Right side by cup holder..(use those cheap orange trim removal tools on amazon..priceless)...lift up and slowly pull.

Also! While you have those buttons uplugged.. the XK will "look" for them. Meaning..dead battery very soon. This car with a low battery will make your neighbors talk..Parking lights come on..low Petrol...ABS fault...Parking Brake fault..A mess. if you are swapping in new buttons (recommended) you'll be fine. If your gonna spend a day trying to clean your current buttons.. disconnect the battery first.

Miserable trying to jumpstart the XK's 800 CCA battery off a normal Honda. Very miserable.

That's how you get those buttons out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe

Last edited by S-Typer; 05-21-2016 at 12:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Typer:
farkle-edina (05-21-2016), Jacsun (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The procedure is in section 501-12 in my copy of the workshop manual - Removal and Installation - Floor Console Finish Panel.

Not much detail but it is an easy process.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 AM

Joe and U102768 (your birthday?) -- thanks! I found the section in the reference manual. I'll give it a shot. I do want to get the trim removal tools beforehand if it means I won't be scratching up my trim!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Easy job to remove the trim - use a wide blade wallpaper scraper with the edge protected with masking tape - this will help prevent scratches. Gently lift the trim, easing it upwards from either side. When released, I use a blast of compressed air then check the button before re-installing the trim. If the button is not free - give it another blast with compressed air. Same process works with the ASL button too. You don't need to remove the with from the panel - just use some spare cloth to protect the tunnel area.
Have done this on my old XK a few times - so it is likely to return - probably because of the location of the button and the fact it was a my daily car and therefore more likely to have foreign objects dropped on it.
Price of the button used to be £32 in the UK - now up to £120 - due to change of manufacturer !!!. My local Jag dealer has never sold a replacement so it would appear they get "fixed" regularly - hopefully yours will be the same - HTH.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 PM

Thanks jhdee -- I'll give it a shot tomorrow or early in the week and report back!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 PM

So I tried it tonight. The trim removal tools from Amazon worked great. I sprayed down the switch with some electronics cleaner, then dried it with compressed air. It works a little better but the problem isn't solved.

Even after pressing the two tabs in, I couldn't get the switch out -- it pulls out from the top (veneer side), right? Might be too gunked up and I don't want to force it. I ended up cleaning it when it was still in the trim piece.

Do the switches come apart for better cleaning? I assume they are single-piece items.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The switches don't come apart for further cleaning.

I would give it another good going over with the cleaner and the compressed air - I found it needed a real good blasting with the compressed air.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

If it is a protein based clog, you wont dissolve it with electronics cleaner i.e. solvent.

It could also be that some dirt got jammed in there.

If you suspect that it is dried nasal mucus, steam and time will solve your issue. I imagine that Jaguar would use only stainless steel parts in a device prone to spills and wet fingers (from holding a sweating cold drink). So you dont have to worry about rust.