X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default instrument cluster

Hello wondering if any one can help me i have a 05 x type 2.0 diesel what happened the dash had to come out when it was plugged back in there was a mistake made the plugs from the remote climate control went in the instrument cluster and vice versa,i now have glow plug light flashing and the red oblong warning light had codes checked but it says no codes,car is currently revving with no restriction does not seem to be in limp mode,i am wandering if the fault is in the actual cluster lights with getting plugs wrong what do you think ?,also could any one tell me what sort of job it is to replace is it just plug and play,does it just take info from my ecu mileage etc or does car have to have new clock programmed to my car,any advice you can give me would be great thanks.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

alto, installing a new instrument cluster is pretty straight forward. NOt the easiest of jobs, but can be done in a few hours. As for getting it to work, if I remember right, you will need to have it programmed to the car for the security aspects. But, that can be done at the dealership for another $100. All of the information that you see is pulled from the ECU and then compared with what is in the instrument cluster. So, it isn't so much that hte information is only there. THis was done to prevent people from "rolling back the ODO".

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
acerek (09-18-2012), alto (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Default cluster

thanks again Thermo don't think for one minute the info you have gave me will be wrong but was just wondering if any one else can verify it thanks.

Last edited by alto; 06-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Default update

After realising i had a problem with the turbo actuator arm which i have now solved which in turn as cleared the glow plug light.Every thing seems fine now fine on tick over no smoke and sounds good etc.The only thing i have now is the red oblong warning light is there any way to clear this with out taking car to garage as car is not finished body work wise also it is not legal to take on road yet.Hope some one can give me another option thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Thermo, do you have a diagram or manual on how to replace the instrument cluster? Please advise.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

You have to be very careful about changing over instrument panels or you will find yourself with one very immobilized car! The proper way to do it is to get the dealer/Jaguar independent to download the relevant program info from the original panel before removing it. Then fit the new panel and then the info that was downloaded must be reloaded. If you're going to do the actual changeover yourself, you'll have to do it in the dealer's forecourt after he does the download, then get him to upload!! Without following this procedure the car will just not start because the security system won't let it. Putting the old one back in at that point doesn't work either.

There is a method of putting in a new panel without downloading if the old one is competely electronically dead, including memory, but then the mileage reading will have been lost forever and the dealer will still have to reconfigure the new module to set the right parameters for your VIN, reset the security system, tell it what country you're in, etc.

The following users liked this post:
acerek (09-21-2012)
Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a new fuel sender from inside gas tank to cluster installed ($750), but fuel gauge on cluster would not work. My mechanic ordered a rebuilt cluster and tried taking the cluster out first, but then couldn't start the car. Put the old one back in and car, along with new/rebuilt cluster in the trunk, then drove 100 miles to Little Rock Jag dealer who then said they needed both sets of keys to program it, so brought it back, I then drove it back down a week latter with both sets of keys. After spending about 2 hrs trying to get the re-built cluster to take, it would not. Jaguar said best bet to buy a new $1,100 cluster ... bummer. 2003 Jaguar X-type, V6, automatic,
AWD.

Last edited by shula; 01-31-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Shula, try this for me. Get into the car and put the key in the ignition, but leave the car off. Now, on the left side, press and hold in the TRIP button on the end of the turn signal stalk. With the TRIP button still depressed, turn the key to the RUN position and watch the message center. After about 3 seconds, you should see it read "Engineering Test". When you see this message, release the TRIP button. Now, tap the TRIP button one more time. You should see all of your gauge do a slow sweep from the minimum reading, up to the maximum reading and then back to minimum. Did your gas gauge do the same thing? If no, then your instrument cluster is toast. If it did, then you have another issue or the electronics upstream of the driver circuit for the gas gauge is bad.

As for the instrument cluster, sounds like when they "repaired it", they didn't fix all the issues. I would see if you could either get a new cluster or send them back this one and get your money back. Explain to them that the Jaguar dealership was not able to program it (if they can't, then who could?).

One other check since you are in the Engineering Test mode. Tap the TRIP button a few more times (about 24 more times) until you see it say "FP XXX" (where XXX is 3 numbers ranging from 000 to 255). You will see this immediately after the message center says "FP2 XXX" (where XXX is 3 numbers). Yes, you are going to see the instrument cluster do some interesting things. Do not worry. At this point, you will want to know the relative level in the gas tank (so, may want to fill it up just before this). Using the rule that 10 is empty and 254 is completely full, does the number the cluster is telling you come pretty close to what is in the fuel tank? If yes, then you know the wiring between the ECU and the fuel level sender is good. If you are seeing 255, then you have a bad fuel sender or the one line is shorted to battery. If you are seeing 000 thru 009, then your fuel sender or associated wiring is grounded or you have a bad fuel sender.

Hope this helps you get to a solution.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster reprograming at the dealership

So in order to have the instrument cluster reprogrammed at the dealership (150 miles away) I need to remove and take the cluster along with both keys? Will they need anything else, vehicle VIN or Registration?

Old 11-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The dealer probably can't do it out of the car.

The following users liked this post:
shula (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Needs to be programmed installed in the car by dealer software.